Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Fluid Exchange

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 08:46 AM
DaveMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Exchange

I am very mechanically inclined but have never serviced brakes. Is this a DIY or is it not worth the hassle. I was quoted $130-150 from Sewell here in Dallas.
Old 08-11-09, 09:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

It can be a DIY, it's not difficult if you have jackstands and can put the car in the air to remove all four wheels. I would recommend buying Earl's Solobleeders to make the task a one person operation, but it's not hard to do it with two people if you don't.

The simplest way to sort this out is to suck out all the fluid from the reservoir (you'll want to completely remove the engine cover blocking easy access to the master cylinder reservoir). Add fresh fluid to the reservoir and fill it up at least to the max line. Then start with the farthest caliper (right rear) and bleed the caliper by opening the bleeder with a clear plastic tube attached to the bleeder draining into a catch bottle. If you're using Solobleeders, you just open a turn and pump the brake pedal until clear fluid comes out, usually 10 - 15 pumps. Be sure not to let the fluid level in the reservoir drop below the low indication, but usually you can pump 15 times without this being a problem. If you're using the OEM bleeder, you'll need an assistant to pump while you open and close the bleeder - open bleeder - press brake pedal near floor (but not all the way down) - close bleeder while pedal is still depressed - release pedal & repeat.

You'll need to do this on each caliper - RR, LR, RF, LF in that order. Each time you finish with a caliper, refill the brake fluid to the max line (or higher). On the last one just fill to the max line and you're done.

PM me if you need more detail.
Old 08-11-09, 12:18 PM
DaveMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems easy enough. Looks like I have a project for saturday. Thanks!