Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover install on Wednesday - help me set up my drop height!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 07:44 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Coilover install on Wednesday - help me set up my drop height!

So this really isn't a suspension related topic, more of an esthetic/visual topic...

I'm getting BC Racing coilovers installed Wed and looking to give the shop a specific measurement to drop the car to. Looking for an aggressive drop, not quite as aggressive as Calvin's, somewhere around djkhanvict's, chrIS250's ect...

I was hoping you could post a pic of your drop and let me know the specific measurement from your rim lip to fender lip...
Old 08-17-09, 10:57 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Wow, no love on this one huh? I've sent out a few PM's to people who's drops I admire, but still nothing... what does a brotha gotta do to get people to bust out a ruler real quick? lol

Last edited by mdgrwl; 08-17-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-17-09, 11:02 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lol its a monday matt give it a few hours or days. everyone is suffering from this heat wave im sure.
Old 08-17-09, 11:02 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

if they install it for you, all you need to adjust the height to your specific setting is a jack (i use the one thats in the trunk) and take off your wheel. you have access to the adjustments once the wheel is off and its easy to do. the more you do it, the more familiar you would get with it. good luck and have fun most importantly!
Old 08-17-09, 11:13 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

djkhanvict is on air though... so idk if you can really include him in the conversation. i would say drop to 1 or 2 finger gap. That looks the best and aggressive imo.
Old 08-17-09, 11:30 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

1 to 2 finger gap? you talking 1 to 2 fingers above the tire? might as well drive an SUV!

you chrIS250, I bet your a 2in to 2 & 1/4 inches from your lip to lip... prove me wrong! bwhahaha!
Old 08-17-09, 11:32 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrIS250
if they install it for you, all you need to adjust the height to your specific setting is a jack (i use the one thats in the trunk) and take off your wheel. you have access to the adjustments once the wheel is off and its easy to do. the more you do it, the more familiar you would get with it. good luck and have fun most importantly!
you do it one wheel at a time, or nascar style and lift up the entire left or right side at once and do both?
Old 08-17-09, 11:40 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
1 to 2 finger gap? you talking 1 to 2 fingers above the tire? might as well drive an SUV!

you chrIS250, I bet your a 2in to 2 & 1/4 inches from your lip to lip... prove me wrong! bwhahaha!
Drive an SUV?! WTF?! one finger is 1/4 inch and 2 finger is 1/2 inch gap. SUV would be a good hand into the gap.
Old 08-17-09, 11:53 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wierdazndu
Drive an SUV?! WTF?! one finger is 1/4 inch and 2 finger is 1/2 inch gap. SUV would be a good hand into the gap.
sall good, were just on different shades of whats 'low'. right now on my H&R Springs my fender lip is actually lower then my my tire height if you follow what I'm saying... only slightly though... its every so slightly tucked. I'm looking to slam I guess.
Old 08-17-09, 12:11 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

sall good, were just on different shades of whats 'low'. right now on my H&R Springs my fender lip is actually lower then my my tire height if you follow what I'm saying... only slightly though... its every so slightly tucked. I'm looking to slam I guess.
coo coo. i get ya. Ive never seen springs tuckin a tire... thats pimp though. slam that bish.
Old 08-17-09, 12:17 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go half way? see if thats cool. Ask areukhmer, he got the same BC coils and his drop height is pretty good, no gap

Hope that help bro.
Old 08-17-09, 12:31 PM
areukhmer
Lexus Test Driver

haha i replied back to your PMed man! but like i said i sold my 19'' so I'm on stock right now so no point to measure it. And when i swap in the BC i put the suspension in then i adjust it till i like it! So i don't really know how low we adjust it. Pretty much with 19'' i have gap front and rear.
Old 08-19-09, 12:04 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

slammed your ride yet?
Old 08-20-09, 01:06 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

well figured I'd post back since I started this thread and now that my coil's are installed... I'm sitting 2 & 1/4 inch above my rim lip.

I tried going lower but it rubs WAY too much. I think about 2 & 1/4 is the sweet spot with the offsets I'm running - 19x8.5/9.5 +22 all the way around.

Even with this I'm still rubbing a bunch in the front, so much so that my IS is at the body shop as I type this post, getting major mods done to my inside fender liner (front).
Old 08-20-09, 02:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I tried going lower but it rubs WAY too much. I think about 2 & 1/4 is the sweet spot with the offsets I'm running - 19x8.5/9.5 +22 all the way around.

Even with this I'm still rubbing a bunch in the front, so much so that my IS is at the body shop as I type this post, getting major mods done to my inside fender liner (front).
Wow, I'm surprised you were not rubbing before with those offsets & H&R's as the car cycled through suspension travel on high speed bumps. Do you run relatively small tires to clear?

Quick Reply: Coilover install on Wednesday - help me set up my drop height!