Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What springs do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 10:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silentbob
thanks! this def helps. i guess i need to search around to see if clunking is an issue for some people on 350's. if not, i guess that'll make the decision over f sports.
It's hard to determine if clunking is a issue, since it only effects some cars.

Rumor is that the F-Sport is rebranded Eibach 350, not confirmed yet. Although the specs for ride height drop are exactly the same.

The decision of F-Sport vs Eibach really is more about cost, access to a good experienced shop or dealer, whether you think the warranty is an issue (because most likely the parts impacted from a warranty standpoint will easily last the length of the warranty period either way).
Old 08-20-09, 10:26 AM
bettywhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the deal with the clunking? i've read that there is still some clunking even after the sleeves are put on and i thought i read a thread back in 2007 about the clunking - just wondering why this hasn't been fixed.
Old 08-20-09, 10:39 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by intekmdma
Definitely try out springs if need be. The only issue with springs that I had was the advertised' 1.5'' drop still made my original car have a 1.3'' gap.

Not sure how low you want it to go, but for example: springs = 150-200? maybe? shocks = 200-400? maybe? (i'm just throwing numbers out there) which is half as much as megan coils. (but i heard megan coils are loud when hitting bumps)

But then again, you can probably sell those springs and shocks if you don't like em
a few points:

shocks will experience premature wear with lowering springs, but should still last a while. case in point, i had tein s-techs + oem shocks for 25k+ miles, and i did not experience premature shock failure. i would consider that the norm rather than the exception.

also, megan coils are not "loud" when hitting bumps. however, because the top hats on megan coilovers are (iirc?) machined billet aluminum vs. rubber for the oem top hats, road vibrations are more likely to be transferred through the body of the car. as such, you will "hear" the road - albeit the increase in road noise in marginal.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It's hard to determine if clunking is a issue, since it only effects some cars.

Rumor is that the F-Sport is rebranded Eibach 350, not confirmed yet. Although the specs for ride height drop are exactly the same.

The decision of F-Sport vs Eibach really is more about cost, access to a good experienced shop or dealer, whether you think the warranty is an issue (because most likely the parts impacted from a warranty standpoint will easily last the length of the warranty period either way).
i've heard from a reliable source or two that the f-sport springs are indeed rebadged eibachs.

Originally Posted by bettywhite
what's the deal with the clunking? i've read that there is still some clunking even after the sleeves are put on and i thought i read a thread back in 2007 about the clunking - just wondering why this hasn't been fixed.
rubber silencer sleeves should help alleviate that issue. i believe they come w/ f-sport springs now?
Old 08-20-09, 10:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectdna

i've heard from a reliable source or two that the f-sport springs are indeed rebadged eibachs.
I would tend to believe that source, it's too much of a coincidence that the lowering specs are exactly the same, and Eibach is known for being a OEM manufacturer also.
Old 08-20-09, 11:34 AM
intekmdma
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
a few points:

shocks will experience premature wear with lowering springs, but should still last a while. case in point, i had tein s-techs + oem shocks for 25k+ miles, and i did not experience premature shock failure. i would consider that the norm rather than the exception.

also, megan coils are not "loud" when hitting bumps. however, because the top hats on megan coilovers are (iirc?) machined billet aluminum vs. rubber for the oem top hats, road vibrations are more likely to be transferred through the body of the car. as such, you will "hear" the road - albeit the increase in road noise in marginal.
Good to know, that clears up some stuff I had thought about as well.

I remember when I lowered my GTI and didn't change out the shocks, those things blew within 3 months! I love the build of Lexus and how it doesn't do that.

How much "more" noise do you think you'd hear? I'm looking into getting those or buddy club coils
Old 08-20-09, 01:00 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

thanks! this def helps. i guess i need to search around to see if clunking is an issue for some people on 350's. if not, i guess that'll make the decision over f sports.
clunking went away after a little over a month on my is350
Old 08-20-09, 01:03 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

IMO H&R Springs are the best looking drop on an IS. Most even and lowest without going slammed like Megan springs.

And look at that, someone in the classifieds has some for sale:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...is350-awd.html
Old 08-20-09, 01:08 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
IMO H&R Springs are the best looking drop on an IS. Most even and lowest without going slammed like Megan springs.

if i wasn't so scared to run these on oem shocks, i'd get them...
Old 08-20-09, 01:11 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

if i wasn't so scared to run these on oem shocks, i'd get them...
they will be fine with OEM shocks, just don't make the mistake I did when I CUT MY BUMPSTOPS!!! NO NO!!!!!!!!

I had them on my IS for 7K miles, no issues with bumpstops intact. they are just a hair lower then Eibach's/F-Sports. That little difference isn't going to make or break your shocks, but it WILL make or break the look of the IS.

No offense to ppl running Eibach's & H&R's... I just don't think they look good... need to go down another 1/4 inch or so.
Old 08-20-09, 01:16 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdgrwl

^^^ haha And read the review from mdgrwl on H&R vs Eibach
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ve-review.html
Old 08-20-09, 01:35 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

most aftermarket lowering spring applications for the 2is aren't ultra-aggressive, such that they will blow out the shocks in a very, very short period of time.

however, they will advance the wear and tear on the oem shocks (if you mate them w/ oem shocks, that is). whenever the oem shocks do go out is anyone's guess, but personally mine lasted 25k+ miles and are still fine (they were matched w/ s-techs).

whether that's a testament of lexus engineering or good luck i don't know, but i can live with the fact that my oem shocks are not blown.
Old 08-21-09, 02:31 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

I did a lot of searching and was between H&R and Tein s Tech. I wanted the H&R at first, but they were on back order. So, I did some more searching into the s Tech and pulled the trigger on those 2 weeks ago. I will say, I am very happy with the outcome and I would order these springs again. Nice even drop, ride comfort it very nice and handling has improved. I also added some 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers to get a more flush look.
Old 08-21-09, 03:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by homerjay42
I did a lot of searching and was between H&R and Tein s Tech. I wanted the H&R at first, but they were on back order. So, I did some more searching into the s Tech and pulled the trigger on those 2 weeks ago. I will say, I am very happy with the outcome and I would order these springs again. Nice even drop, ride comfort it very nice and handling has improved. I also added some 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers to get a more flush look.
homerjay42 - Did you post pics earlier, or was I asleep maybe....
Old 08-21-09, 03:39 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Do Eibach 250 springs cause greater premature shock wear than the Eibach 350 springs on an IS350?
Old 08-21-09, 04:00 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eggwoll
Do Eibach 250 springs cause greater premature shock wear than the Eibach 350 springs on an IS350?
I would say yes since they are shorter. They'll stress the shock more.

Quick Reply: What springs do you recommend?