Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

resurfacing rotors necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 09:41 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default resurfacing rotors necessary?

I posted a thread a week or two ago about how Lexus was trying to rip me off on a break job. They quoted me 450 bux just to replace the rear break pads and resurface the rotors. Anyway so I went and bought front and rear pads online and went back to Lexus to see how much they would charge if I already had the parts... and they said that they wouldn't do it without resurfacing the rotors because it would make the breaks squeek and have an uneven surface contact area... is any of this true?

Also... I got the new dustless pads for the front breaks... but the box they came in said that they are for a GS350/GS450. Did I get the wrong break pads? Or are they the same for both the IS350 and GS?
Old 08-19-09, 10:08 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it's true. Resurfacing is always recommended when changing brake pads. If you don't your brakes squeak alot. Take it to an indy shop they should be able to install them for under $100.
Old 08-19-09, 10:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA8
Yes it's true. Resurfacing is always recommended when changing brake pads. If you don't your brakes squeak alot. Take it to an indy shop they should be able to install them for under $100.
Not sure about that (always).

My front pads were replaced by dealer with new low brake dust pads, rotors were not resurfaced. No squeaking.

But maybe OP's rotors were in need of resurfacing based on symptoms, etc.
Old 08-19-09, 12:11 PM
vertcobra9
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV

My front pads were replaced by dealer with new low brake dust pads, rotors were not resurfaced. No squeaking.

My breaks don't make any noise right now... I just want to replace them before they are all the way worn and have to replace the rotors entirely.

Does anyone know about the GS break pads being the same as the IS?
Old 08-19-09, 12:33 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

I stated it is RECOMMENDED not required. In most cases it can be done w/o resurfacing. My benz with factory drilled rotors can't be resurfaced and required replacement every other pad replacement.
Old 08-19-09, 12:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA8
I stated it is RECOMMENDED not required. In most cases it can be done w/o resurfacing. My benz with factory drilled rotors can't be resurfaced and required replacement every other pad replacement.
I see, I read the words ALWAYS RECOMMENDED in your original post, so I misinterpreted it.
Old 08-19-09, 02:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Hogwash. They can be centerless ground just like they were from the factory by any competent machine shop. You just can't turn them on a brake lathe because of the interrupted cut.

Shops recommend resurfacing because it reduces complaints AND makes them more money. I've NEVER resurfaced a rotor unless it was deeply scored because it just throws away good metal I could be using to brake.