Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to: ABS / TRAC delete!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 07:09 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just want to say that the roads were icy last weekend and had it not been for Trac...I may have lost my SC. I passed at least 8 vehicles who crashed before turning around and heading home from a trip to Jersey with my girl. Saw two oncoming cars hit the middle divider back to back, another two hit snow banks on the off ramp with me...it was bad. My car slipped at least 7 times and each time Trac helped me out. Not saying I needed it, but where other people crashed I stayed on the road. I know some of you guys don't get snow/ice, but for those that do it might be wise to keep Trac intact.
Old 01-08-14, 07:17 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive AWD during winter months, the SC is my spring and fall hot rod. Lighter means faster and the SC could use the loss of engine bay clutter. IMO
Old 01-15-14, 05:28 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I just want to say that the roads were icy last weekend and had it not been for Trac...I may have lost my SC. I passed at least 8 vehicles who crashed before turning around and heading home from a trip to Jersey with my girl. Saw two oncoming cars hit the middle divider back to back, another two hit snow banks on the off ramp with me...it was bad. My car slipped at least 7 times and each time Trac helped me out. Not saying I needed it, but where other people crashed I stayed on the road. I know some of you guys don't get snow/ice, but for those that do it might be wise to keep Trac intact.
I drove my SC in horrific midwestern winters for 4 years. Snow, ice, and freezing rain. TRAC never helped, it always left me stranded in intersections for that extra second or two, waiting to get plowed into by cross traffic. TRAC is a very old, primitive system; not like a good quality traction control that you will find on late model luxury cars. Same thing with ABS.

If you learn how to control your car on snow, ice, and rain-covered roads, you do not need, nor will you be helped by, ABS or TRAC. You're handicapped with RWD, but you can learn to compensate for it by driving carefully. In the winter, slap some skinny tires on your car, like 15x6.5, and get a better feel for the throttle on bad roads. Drive slower. Be careful. TRAC is garbage, and so is that ancient ABS system that left me rolling past stop signs and traffic lights countless times because the brakes apply so poorly with it. No matter what you choose to do, the SC is a piece of crap in the snow and ice.

Or, the ultimate solution is to junk the geriatric, slowly dying SC and get yourself a FWD or AWD car. I blow by endless crashed SUVs and trucks on the expressway every time we get bad snow up here in my FWD Ford Fiesta. FWD + modern traction control for the win.

Last edited by bmsc300; 01-15-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 05:36 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigwhite
I drive AWD during winter months, the SC is my spring and fall hot rod. Lighter means faster and the SC could use the loss of engine bay clutter. IMO
Amen.
I don't drive my SC300 in the winter anymore.
350 whp is no good for slippery surfaces, unless you have a modern sports car with a REAL traction control system.
Old 01-15-14, 05:48 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Poorsupra, so you also deleted the accumalator and pump motor under the master cyl.?
You delete everything except the master cylinder and whatever new brake lines you choose to go with.
Old 01-15-14, 06:45 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Just wanted to verify that he deleted those parts. Would still love to see a step by step DIY with the easiest way to reroute the brake lines. There are 2 diff methods shown, I like to see the best/ easiest.
Old 06-16-14, 10:52 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

is there a cleaner DIY write up on this? my ABS and TRAC don't work anyways and i'd like to just get rid of them. so i need to get a T fitting from a corolla and some hard line and new SS lines??
Old 06-17-14, 07:38 AM
babowc
Driver

Question.. does this get rid of the cruise?
I saw in the original post that the CC ecu was removed?
Old 06-17-14, 12:57 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by poorsupra
this is the way everyone should do it! just did mine
thanks man.. and also you dont need a brake bias.. the master has one built in.. the line in the front is for the back and the line in the back is for the front... you can add a brake bias if you really want but i havent had one and no issues here.. stops harddd. also did supra tt rears with the ls400 fronts
Old 06-19-14, 05:49 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

If I took my car to a auto. repair shop would they do this modification to my car?
Old 06-19-14, 09:30 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I took my car to a auto. repair shop would they do this modification to my car?
i highly doubt that.. they wouldnt remove a "safety option" or make the car "unsafe" where you at? ill do it for you LOL
Old 06-20-14, 10:51 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Just my 0.02:

The Traction system in our cars is far from useless. Being one of the most advanced systems at the time, its not even considered old technology.

Yes its sensitive, especially on Ice, from a stop trying to take off.. but then again if you think about the following... Is it the car's fault?
Did you have proper OEM sized tires on the car, 225/55R16. Are they winter tires. Were you starting off IN Second gear (for autos that means selecting 2 and PWR on).
Were you trying to drag the car beside you.

Yes there are some cases where I understand/see Turning the TRAC off to take off is agreeable on extremely slippery surfaces. but It does do its job. It will save you and your car in the event you lose control especially when the car is going or about to go sideways.
I have nothing but praise for the system.
If you don't want it? push the TRAC OFF button.
If you want to remove the system because of weight? - lose some weight yourself, or remove your subs, or the spare tire.. but really its not that much of a gain, if you can call it that.

I can see why removing the system is agreeable when doing an engine swap. but that's about it.

again that's my 0.02

I don't know if the systems are different for the sc300 here - but the difference from having TRAC on my soarer, and not. is the fact I don't have the conventional Brake Booster - but a Pressurized Nitrogen Gas Accumulator and motor. Removing that and putting in a regular brake booster is silly and not cost effective. also the additional sensor on the throttle body isn't doing harm sitting there, used or not.
Old 06-20-14, 06:55 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

To me, its also about cleaning up the engine bay, and more room around the engine.
Old 01-27-15, 03:52 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

can this be done with the corolla T's and regular lines? just stick the Ts in the same spot as the ABS block was, is that possible? wanna do this tomorrow.
Old 01-28-15, 08:58 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
can this be done with the corolla T's and regular lines? just stick the Ts in the same spot as the ABS block was, is that possible? wanna do this tomorrow.
Yes, just be careful on bending the metal lines.

Quick Reply: How to: ABS / TRAC delete!