Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust is KILLIN me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 03:02 PM
business
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got gold wheels with chrome lip.. so it doesnt look good when its dirty. so heres what i do:

I CLEAN 'EM EVERYDAY!!! i use a towel to wipe them before i leave the house. then i drive carefully so i can avoid braking hard. plus i always use the paddles.. so engine braking helps.

its not a problem to me cleaning it everyday since i have o.c.d anyway... before i leave, i clean the wheels, then i'll dust my car, then clean the exhaust and vacuum the interior.
Old 08-24-09, 03:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMH, those with OCD should consider the low dust front pads. The effect will be even cleaner wheels, especially with daily wipe downs.
Old 08-24-09, 04:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by business
i got gold wheels with chrome lip.. so it doesnt look good when its dirty. so heres what i do:

I CLEAN 'EM EVERYDAY!!! i use a towel to wipe them before i leave the house. then i drive carefully so i can avoid braking hard. plus i always use the paddles.. so engine braking helps.
Not the best idea.

Brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than engines and transmission (both of which you're putting extra wear and tear on with your method).

Get the low-dust pads, that, seriously, reduces brake dust by massive amounts. Even with OCD you might manage to go a week between cleaning em.
Old 08-24-09, 05:48 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm I drive my car pretty much every day, sure the wheels get dirty with brake dust but it sure does make me happy that my brakes bite quite well. I can deal with the brake dust. I wash once a week and to be quite frank the method I use is actually quite useful. Clean real well wash w.e. you do to clean them. Spray some quick wax wipe & the next following washes I just pressure wash them and they're clean. Eh I love braking power over astetics.

Last edited by XhyDra; 08-24-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 06:29 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

But seriously don't you laugh sometime when you see some ISX50's with black front wheels and clean rears.. I always want to tell them there is an answer!
Old 08-24-09, 08:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Hm I drive my car pretty much every day, sure the wheels get dirty with brake dust but it sure does make me happy that my brakes bite quite well. I can deal with the brake dust. I wash once a week and to be quite frank the method I use is actually quite useful. Clean real well wash w.e. you do to clean them. Spray some quick wax wipe & the next following washes I just pressure wash them and they're clean. Eh I love braking power over astetics.
You might want to read up on how brakes actually work.

The low dust pads will offer -exactly- the same braking power as the high-dust set. Or any other set for that matter. Plus they'll produce less dust too.

Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you brake pads.
Old 08-24-09, 10:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XhyDra
I've had my low brake dust pads for a few weeks now, brakes work great, so I have both braking power and asthetics, no sacrafice. It sure does make me happy that my brakes bite quite well and the car looks better too.
Old 08-25-09, 12:00 PM
Retrospect
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
What was wrong with the link I posted 90 minutes ago like 5 posts prior to yours?
oh sorry, i guess i scrolled passed it.

so do i just print it out and hand it to a representative at a dealership ?
what do i say ?
Old 08-25-09, 12:15 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Tell them you want to get your TSIB brake dust done.
Old 08-25-09, 12:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Retrospect
oh sorry, i guess i scrolled passed it.

so do i just print it out and hand it to a representative at a dealership ?
what do i say ?
Depends a bit on your relationship with the dealer... you can start with "My car has excessive brake dust on the front wheels and I'd like it fixed" or you can go straight to "I have the problem described in this TSIB (hand it to em) and would like the fix applied to my car as described under warranty"

For me I started with explaining I had excessive front brake dust and had read there was a TSIB to address it... the rep said my car already had the latest pads and the TSIB did not apply (since they hadn't added 08s yet and most service reps have no idea what parts are actually on the car) so I simply waited a few months. Once the 08 one came out I informed him my car had been added to the TSIB and wanted the service performed and they had no problem doing so.
Old 08-26-09, 07:00 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have Akebono ProActs also and they reduce brake dust much better then the stock OEM brake pads I had on before on my GS. They don't eliminate it but it is a lighter color and the wheels don't looks nearly as bad as when I had the stock pads and I can go longer between cleaning the wheels.
I actually switched from the higher dust OEMs, to low dust-- didn't like them either, so I switched to satisfied ceramic pads, recently. The latter most pads have been excellent so far, with only slightly reduced feel, of which I've already adjusted to. I'll see how they function over time, but I'm not likely to return to OEM pads.
Old 08-26-09, 08:22 AM
Feb30th
Driver School Candidate

http://wwww.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-released.html

That's the thread on the TSIB being updated for 08, including a copy of the new TSIB.

Direct link for TSIB is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0121-08.pdf
Is there a similar TSIB for model year 09? I've got excessive break dust too on my 09 IS350.
Old 08-26-09, 08:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Feb30th
Is there a similar TSIB for model year 09? I've got excessive break dust too on my 09 IS350.
Not as far as I know.

But the one covering 2008 models wasn't available until the 09s were about out anyway, so that's not surprising.
Old 08-26-09, 10:20 AM
Retrospect
Pole Position

Depends a bit on your relationship with the dealer... you can start with "My car has excessive brake dust on the front wheels and I'd like it fixed" or you can go straight to "I have the problem described in this TSIB (hand it to em) and would like the fix applied to my car as described under warranty"

For me I started with explaining I had excessive front brake dust and had read there was a TSIB to address it... the rep said my car already had the latest pads and the TSIB did not apply (since they hadn't added 08s yet and most service reps have no idea what parts are actually on the car) so I simply waited a few months. Once the 08 one came out I informed him my car had been added to the TSIB and wanted the service performed and they had no problem doing so.
Oh okay, that sounds great.
Thanks !
Old 08-26-09, 07:05 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

i just in stalled satisfied ceramic pads and they work great i havent washed my car for 1week and the rims look brand new still lmaooo the brake power is good for everyday driving but if u gonna go racing on a track then i dont think its good i like them and i had them for about 400miles

Quick Reply: Brake Dust is KILLIN me!