Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust is KILLIN me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 11:49 AM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 IS250 purchased 5/09 (not sure of build date), no brake dust issues at all...my lobster claws remain clean.
Old 08-28-09, 01:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Just be aware, you will have less braking performance if you swtich to a lower dust pad.
Just be aware, brake pads have no impact on stopping distance.

Anyone who tells you different is selling brake pads.
Old 08-28-09, 01:48 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Just be aware, brake pads have no impact on stopping distance.

Anyone who tells you different is selling brake pads.

OK so i am now really confused..First he said Performance, not stopping distance...Also i know we have been through this a million times..You have agreed that race pads are better for high heat conditions in other threads..So race pads at race speed will stop your car the same distance every time in the fact there will be less fade..So if your are running race style pads & over a 20 minute session your pads are gonna grip better & slow you down the same as before as if you had stock pads that fade over continued braking & not stop you in the same distance..So if there is fade the car will not stop as soon as a car that doesn't fade right?...Not arguing just want to be clear..Cuz normal driving you are correct stopping is the same..but in race conditions your gonna need high temp pads that will stop your car better under harsher conditions..I only say this cuz you said brake pads have no impact on stopping distance So then why do race teams use different pads, why don't they just use regular old OEM compound pads..has to be cheaper...

PS side note since i put on the slotted rotors & EBC red pads, again I might be out of my skull but i feel that my car does have a better response & i feel the car stops better..Maybe not sooner but braking feels way better...
Old 08-28-09, 02:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving hundreds of miles with the low dust pads, I've observed no difference in stopping distances or braking performance in driving on the street (no driving was done on track). The only difference that I noticed was less brake dust on front wheels. It's really that simple.
Old 08-28-09, 02:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
OK so i am now really confused..First he said Performance, not stopping distance...Also i know we have been through this a million times..You have agreed that race pads are better for high heat conditions in other threads..So race pads at race speed will stop your car the same distance every time in the fact there will be less fade..So if your are running race style pads & over a 20 minute session your pads are gonna grip better & slow you down the same as before as if you had stock pads that fade over continued braking & not stop you in the same distance..So if there is fade the car will not stop as soon as a car that doesn't fade right?...Not arguing just want to be clear..Cuz normal driving you are correct stopping is the same..but in race conditions your gonna need high temp pads that will stop your car better under harsher conditions..I only say this cuz you said brake pads have no impact on stopping distance So then why do race teams use different pads, why don't they just use regular old OEM compound pads..has to be cheaper...

PS side note since i put on the slotted rotors & EBC red pads, again I might be out of my skull but i feel that my car does have a better response & i feel the car stops better..Maybe not sooner but braking feels way better...

Any pads that can engage ABS will stop the car in -exactly- the same distance as any other pads that can engage ABS, all else being equal.

In street use, that means changing your brake pads won't do a thing for braking 'performance' at all.

The only thing it'll change in normal driving is the _feel_ of your brakes. (with the TSIB pads offering a _better_ feel IMHO, since it allows smoother, more linear, engagement of the brakes- rather than the jerky instant-on feeling of the original pads).

(Same for rotors by the way, so assuming you've been doing normal driving, yes, it'd your imagination that your new brakes stop any "better", but it might be entirely the case that they "feel" better to your perception).

On a race track when you're stopping from high speed for the 20th time in the last 5 minutes it's possible that some types of pads will begin to fade sooner, or later, than other types.

THAT is why race cars use different types of brake compounds.

But you won't ever run into that situation on a public road unless you're driving down off the side of a mountain (where you should be using the paddle shifters instead to avoid this situation) or unless you're in the chase scene from a Bourne movie (in which case, if you're not Jason Bourne, you're screwed )

Folks on here have even done tail of the dragon on TSIB pads and found no fade... so leave the "racing pads" to the folks on the race track, they'll do you no good on the street (and likely wear things out faster).
Old 08-28-09, 04:18 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Just be aware, you will have less braking performance if you swtich to a lower dust pad.

you couldnt be more wrong
Old 08-28-09, 05:44 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Ahhh Jason Bourne awesome i like him...Damn Kurtz you must be a politician you have a round about way of talking..yes i got it about street driving..I also run my car on a track & do canyon runs..So i won't be putting on normal OEM pads i rather not brake fade at high temps...Was stating there is a difference in Pads..Also in the earlier post you said that paddle shifting isn't good since it's cheaper to replace pads over transmissions..Then in my post you state you should use them for engine braking down the canyons, unless you ment something different? Anyway Answer me this the IS250 actually stops in a shorter distance than the IS350? The IS350 isn't that much heavier plus the IS350 has bigger brake's so what's up with that?

Ahhh haha i am just busting your *****...Honestly i really could give a crap it's just fun to mess with you since you seem to be the "BRAKE GUY" ahh haha
Old 08-28-09, 06:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Also in the earlier post you said that paddle shifting isn't good since it's cheaper to replace pads over transmissions..Then in my post you state you should use them for engine braking down the canyons, unless you ment something different?

Use the shifters to brake all the time, you're putting a lot of needless wear on the expensive engine and transmission all the time to save a couple bucks on extending pad change intervals.

Use the shifters on the rare occasion you're coming down steep grades down a mountain and you put extra wear on the engine and transmission only while coming down off the mountain... but you avoid the brakes overheating and you driving off the side of the mountain... a reasonable concession.

If you drive the car down a steep mountainside daily you might be a reasonable candidate for severe service pads, not to stop the car any shorter, but to resist fade longer. In normal driving fade isn't a concern.

Anyway Answer me this the IS250 actually stops in a shorter distance than the IS350? The IS350 isn't that much heavier plus the IS350 has bigger brake's so what's up with that?
Bigger brakes similarly have no impact on street stopping distance, same as pads have none... bigger rotors can serve a purpose again in severe service situations like racing where you'll have thermal control issues, but not on the street... that's why big brake kits are entirely cosmetic for street use.
Old 08-28-09, 07:30 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I had the brake dust TSIB done on my car, and I honestly can't feel any difference. My front wheels stay a lot cleaner.
Old 08-28-09, 11:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by silentbob
09 IS250 purchased 5/09 (not sure of build date), no brake dust issues at all...my lobster claws remain clean.
I wonder if Lexus has gone to using the revised low dust pads as regular production pads in model year 2009..........
Old 08-29-09, 09:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I wonder if Lexus has gone to using the revised low dust pads as regular production pads in model year 2009..........
Yes, they have supposedly, but it was done part-way through the model year... if you do a search somebody actually posted the page from the parts catalog that listed the exact date they switched.... so many 09s will still have the high-dust pads from the factory, but some won't (and presumably all '10s and newer won't)
Old 08-29-09, 10:04 AM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't be happier with the low dust pads, no more dust (like with stock pads), no noise, and I haven't noticed any braking change.
Old 08-29-09, 10:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 305is350
I can't be happier with the low dust pads, no more dust (like with stock pads), no noise, and I haven't noticed any braking change.
Same experience with my IS350 after low dust pads were installed in July. Best kind of fix, it worked and it was free.
Old 09-01-09, 12:19 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You might want to read up on how brakes actually work.

The low dust pads will offer -exactly- the same braking power as the high-dust set. Or any other set for that matter. Plus they'll produce less dust too.

Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you brake pads.
Yes I know all brakes work the same and they will all stop the car at the same time, not including different tires of course. What I meant to say is the bite on the dusty pads is a lot more comforting to me. I don't need the brakes to feel like they're working if I press harder I just want them to bite when I effortlessly press them. I tried my friends IS350 with the non TSIB pads and after he got his TSIB pads the bite wasn't the same it was a lot more linear. I personally prefer the quicker bite than the linear braking. That's just me.

And to add to those worried with brake dust, just go to spot free car wash that has high pressure water and spray away twice a week without having to sacrifice too much time.
Old 09-01-09, 07:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Yes I know all brakes work the same and they will all stop the car at the same time, not including different tires of course. What I meant to say is the bite on the dusty pads is a lot more comforting to me. I don't need the brakes to feel like they're working if I press harder I just want them to bite when I effortlessly press them. I tried my friends IS350 with the non TSIB pads and after he got his TSIB pads the bite wasn't the same it was a lot more linear. I personally prefer the quicker bite than the linear braking. That's just me.
I did back-to-back comparisons with the same car (my IS350) before and after pad change, no difference in bite. This is the only way to do valid comparison, with same car and same tires, etc.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust is KILLIN me!