Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust is KILLIN me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 09:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I did back-to-back comparisons with the same car (my IS350) before and after pad change, no difference in bite. This is the only way to do valid comparison, with same car and same tires, etc.
I'll ask the dealer to change out my dusty brake pads during my next service. They're still free under warranty?
Old 09-01-09, 09:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I'll ask the dealer to change out my dusty brake pads during my next service. They're still free under warranty?
Yup... doesn't hurt to bring a copy of the TSIB with you though in case he's unaware of it or tries to claim it doesn't include your car (he might have a copy of the old one that doesn't include 08s)
Old 09-01-09, 11:48 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did back-to-back comparisons with the same car (my IS350) before and after pad change, no difference in bite. This is the only way to do valid comparison, with same car and same tires, etc.
Some would agree and some would disagree.
Old 09-02-09, 07:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Some would agree and some would disagree.
Yes, but at least my comparison was same car, same brakes, same mileage, same usage.

Free brake pads that are much cleaner and have same performance are a win-win. My dealer replaced mine at 29K miles.
Old 09-02-09, 09:45 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, but how did you do the back-to-back test? Were the previous brake pads relatively new? Or were you comparing worn pads to fresh low-dust pads?

Between the 3 pads I've used thus far, the difference in feel is negligible, and I'd be splitting hairs if I were to say it was really apparent. Any unique feel goes away after many hours of daily driving, anyway.
Old 09-04-09, 01:43 PM
AkebonoDC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gocubs08
All brake pads are going to make dust.Its just a matter of the friction formulation that determines where the dust accumulates.The color,density and many other factors must be considered when developing a friction formulation.We know it is going to wear and the dust must go somewhere.If the dust is a light color and not dense it is less likely to stick to the wheels.If the friction formulation has a lot of iron/steel such as a semi met or severe duty there is a much greater chance of dust accumulation.Ceramic pads "if formulated properly" tend to have less dark colored dust sticking to the wheels.It also offers good braking performance.I do not recommend Akebono ceramic pads for racing or for severe duty pads.For street use they perform well and you will be pleasantly pleased by the lack of dust on the wheels.Ceramic materials are less aggressive to the rotor also.If you need a more aggressive pad you can move into the racing pad category. Friction materials are specifically developed for certain types of driving.Some materials yield a very high coefficient of friction.The same amount of caliper clamp force with one friction formulation will have a different coefficient with a different friction.A very aggressive formulation will stop the vehicle faster than a friction with a lower coefficient with the same clamp force applied.That's why there are so many formulation available.One just needs to understand their preference.A very aggressive pads may have black dust and some noise.That is low priority if you are running around the track.When racing you must be able to brake quickly and aggressively with little brake fade and quick recovery.But if you are stopping at a stoplight in town you don't want to be sporting dirty wheels with brake noise. If you need some low dusting pads that perform equal to OE pads the Akebono ceramics will work fine.I have used them for many years.I have been in the brake business for 20 years.I am not in sales.I'm just offering information.There is a large array of pads on the market today and that makes it very confusing.I change my OE pads to Akebono pads as soon as possible on all my vehicles.Not always because of performance issues but simply because I don't like the brake dust either.If you have any questions just ask : )
Old 09-04-09, 01:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Just curious, but how did you do the back-to-back test? Were the previous brake pads relatively new? Or were you comparing worn pads to fresh low-dust pads?

Between the 3 pads I've used thus far, the difference in feel is negligible, and I'd be splitting hairs if I were to say it was really apparent. Any unique feel goes away after many hours of daily driving, anyway.
Worn pads to fresh low-dust pads, "back-to-back comparison" meaning same car, same calipers, same rotors, same wheels, same tires. Difference in feel was insignificant, difference in brake dust on wheels was very significant.
Old 09-04-09, 11:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AkebonoDC
.A very aggressive formulation will stop the vehicle faster than a friction with a lower coefficient with the same clamp force applied.

Assuming clamp force is sufficient to engage ABS (and it's kinda silly to discuss how long it takes to stop for any less force) then no, it won't, because 100% of the force in excess of what it takes to engage ABS is wasted force.

The pad with the higher CoE might maintain that same distance over a higher number of repeated stops from speed in a short period of time, but they'll still never stop the car in any shorter distance than the OEM pads (or any other pads able to engage ABS) would have on the cars very first stop.
Old 09-06-09, 09:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Also, a very "aggressive" (whatever that really means - sounds like "aggressive" offsets unless you're talking about how fast the pad wears the rotors) pads may need some heat in them to start working well.

I had TRD's original Performance Friction pads in my Supra. They were horrible street pads because they didn't engage ABS until they were warmed up. The first stop of the day was always pretty scary because the pads had no heat in them and their Cf was really low at ambient temperature. Once they got over 200F, they worked marvelously, but keeping that much heat in them on a long freeway drive was impossible, so they still had their moments of absolute fear the car wasn't going to stop. These were sold as performance street pads. They were everything BUT streetable.

And to echo what Kurtz said, talking about brake pressures less than required to engage ABS or lock the wheel is really pretty pointless. Any pad with any Cf sufficient to engage ABS will stop the car in the same distance. The driver might not like the feel because the required pressure is more than he/she would like, but it doesn't change the stopping distance.

Some people don't like how ceramic pads feel. Some people don't care as long as the car stops predictably and safely. Some people worry about dust and don't like their cars looking terrible a day after spending many hours cleaning and detailing them. Some people need to haul the car down from triple digit speeds multiple times per lap. None of these people are going to be happy with the same pad. That's why there are different pad compounds. To each his own to suit his needs.
Old 09-06-09, 10:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And to answer OP's (w/IS350) question, short answer get the free low brake dust front pads installed because they actually work.
Old 09-07-09, 03:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

1) The TSB includes all 08's and I had my '08 changed out no charge.
2) I feel the new pads are less grippy when they first bite (a good thing), but stop the car just as well as the originals.
3) The longer you wait to have them changed out, the more likely they might give you heat for trying to stretch out the old pads and get free new ones.
Old 09-15-09, 12:19 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Update:

Went to another Lexus dealer and they said "no problem" and replaced my pads on the spot, I waited an hour and half and the guy said they had to turn the rotors and I'm good to go!

One side note, my braking does feel much less "grabby" it feels like my IS250 did.. I hope it gets a little more grabby with time, or maybe I just need to get used to pressing the brakes harder.. but no more DUST!! thank-god!
Old 09-15-09, 12:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Update:

Went to another Lexus dealer and they said "no problem" and replaced my pads on the spot, I waited an hour and half and the guy said they had to turn the rotors and I'm good to go!

One side note, my braking does feel much less "grabby" it feels like my IS250 did.. I hope it gets a little more grabby with time, or maybe I just need to get used to pressing the brakes harder.. but no more DUST!! thank-god!
The TSIB pads definitely offer a less-graby, more linear feel. That's an improvement in my book, allows smoother, more linear, control of braking.

But it will take a bit of getting used to if you're overly familiar with how grabby the OEM pads are.

The good news is the difference is just feel, they'll both stop the car in exactly the same distance.