Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein SS ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 06:56 PM
kbh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein SS ride quality

Hey guys,

I'm going to order Tein coilovers next week.

Can you please put some inputs on how the Tein SS rides on our car? I'm going for 20's for my car and i'm worried that the ride will be harsh. I don't want it to ride hard, just a stock ride will do for me...

If i turn the damper settings to the softest will it be comfortable enough for 20inch wheels? If not maybe i'll end up buying the Tein CST... it cost roughly around $500 more... and i know i can go that low on CST ones

Some inputs pls. Thanks!
Old 08-24-09, 11:10 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I have TEIN SS on my TSX. They were comfortable as I set the dampers to medium firmness/softness. You should be able to retain the OEM factory ride comfort as the TEIN SS are designed more for street/daily use. I am sure if you turn the dial to full soft on all four corners, it should feel more or less like factory. The spring rates for TEIN SS are leaning towards comfort, rather than handling/performance like JIC, Megan Racing, and BC Racing coilovers.

With 20 inch wheels, you will be running a lower profile tire than OEM. With a thinner tire sidewall, the ride will be firmer as there is less "cushion" to absorb the bumps/potholes/crevices etc. For any wheel upsizing, you are reducing the sidewall thickness to compensate for the larger wheel diameter to keep the overall rolling diameter the same. The con would be a harsher ride as they sidewall thickness is reduced. The pros are better handling (more responsive due to the thinner sidewall, less tire flex) and better appearance with the lower profile tire.

If you are quite concerned about keeping the factory suspension comfort level, you can set the TEIN SS at OEM stock height as you mentioned, coupled with 18" or 19" aftermarket wheel/tire combo. Many 2IS owners are running 19s as it is the preferred setup for looks and performance. With 19" setup and full soft setting on the TEIN SS, you should be pretty happy as the feel/ride comfort should not be drastically different from OEM configation.

Please give us a review once you have them installed. Keep us posted
Old 08-29-09, 07:13 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

they are kinda soft at the hardest setting. Overall, the ride is good not too harsh!
Old 09-27-09, 09:27 PM
flyfl1pguy

save your money and buy ZEALs. Tein is a cheap brand and in my opinion just get some ZEALS.
Old 09-27-09, 11:14 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm Judd should chime in to tell you about the quality.

BUT from what i heard, tein ss aren't that comfortable. Also riding on 20s wont help comfort.