Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 02:58 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, its been a while since I posted in here regarding this thread. 9000 miles after getting my alignment done, and having the stealership check my suspension the inner tire wear is still happening (on my new tires) and further more, I am suffering from tire cupping on both of my front two tires.

My poor IS350 sounds like a helicopter when driving down the road.

I took it to 3 different alignment places every 3000 miles, all of them reputable, and they all agree that the suspension is out of spec and is to blame for the tire cupping and wear patterns.

I have gotten no where with Lexus, and at this point will be visiting the dealer and demanding they replace all of suspension components as these parts have either been installed incorrectly, are defective, or the car itself is a lemon. I also will be requesting they replace my two front tires as they are obviously worthless now due to the tire cupping and inner tire wear.

If Lexus is unwilling to comply, my next step would be to file litigation against them and seek damages. There is no reason why my 2008 IS350 with only 25k miles on it should have burned through nearly 2 sets of tires, and my newest set should not be suffering from cupping. I have carefully documented the wear, alignment specs, and received testimonies from various third parties substantiating that there is indeed an issue with this car, the suspension, the installation, or something of this nature. It needs to be rectified, as per the lemon law they have 3 strikes. Then they're out.
Old 03-25-10, 02:32 PM
josephlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone knows if this is a problem with the AWD as well?
Old 07-30-10, 03:49 PM
BHMTitan
Driver School Candidate

Hoping to prevent the normal front tire wear, during the 5000 mile service performed yesterday, I got them to check alignment. Here is the before and after specs. The front is right at the suggested 1mm (0.04"). We'll see how the wear goes from this point forward. The "before" toe was out due to my wife hitting a curb 2 days before hand, so an alignment was definitely needed.
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear-align.jpg  
Old 08-14-10, 12:06 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with all my tires wearing on the insides. I'm at 14k miles and have had my F-springs on for 2k miles. I just got an alignment today and I am wondering if I should have told the clerk my car has special springs on it. I see a few pages above there was an option for "sport suspension" in the data base. I am looking on my invoice printout from the tire shop and it just says, "2WD standard suspension." Is there a difference? This is Tire Pros we are talking about, a pretty large tire chain store. Do I need to go back and have them redo it to "sport suspension" specs? Do cars like mine with the F-springs and stock 18" wheels even qualify for the sport catagory spec?
Old 08-14-10, 01:04 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My opinion only, -1.X camber is not a big deal, making sure you stay away from having any toe out would be a good idea, because toe out will shave the inside of your tires in no time, a little of bit toe in would be ideal. I think of toe in as helping it wear the outside of the tires. The Lexus dealership always try to set at 0 toe.. an experienced sports car alignment shop you can work with you and make recommendations, obviously the goal of everyone reading here is not to kill their tires and not have to do with the best turn in response.

The 2IS is heavy and don't get thrown around hard enough, this just makes the inner tire wear more pronounced.
Old 08-24-10, 10:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Might this be worth attempting a TSIB? At least for free adjusted alignment, if customer complains about uneven tire wear?
Old 08-24-10, 12:03 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Might this be worth attempting a TSIB? At least for free adjusted alignment, if customer complains about uneven tire wear?
Warranty covers alignment for the first 12 months, then that's it.

But unless you find a dealer competent enough to understand the real issue and be willing to align it differently from what the 'factory' says it should be getting an alignment done by the dealer won't really help since it's the factory alignment that causes the problem.
Old 08-25-10, 09:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Warranty covers alignment for the first 12 months, then that's it.

But unless you find a dealer competent enough to understand the real issue and be willing to align it differently from what the 'factory' says it should be getting an alignment done by the dealer won't really help since it's the factory alignment that causes the problem.
My dealer actually says they can tweak the toe to prevent abnormal wear. Strangely, if they're admitting to the abnormal wear, I feel Lexus should at the very least put out the disclaimer up front. Isn't abnormal tire wear why Nissan had a recall on their Z once upon a time?
Old 08-25-10, 10:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
My dealer actually says they can tweak the toe to prevent abnormal wear. Strangely, if they're admitting to the abnormal wear, I feel Lexus should at the very least put out the disclaimer up front. Isn't abnormal tire wear why Nissan had a recall on their Z once upon a time?
I suspect you're lucky to find a good dealer, and that they do not speak for Lexus (who continues to ship cars from the factory this way, and hasn't changed the factory alignment specs to fix what they refuse to admit is a "problem")
Old 08-25-10, 12:12 PM
Sunspyre
Driver School Candidate

My dealer warrantied a camber kit as well as putting on the new tires for free, but I had to pay for the tires since they were a wearable item.
I'll try to post my service sheet if I can scan it.
Old 08-25-10, 12:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sunspyre
My dealer warrantied a camber kit as well as putting on the new tires for free, but I had to pay for the tires since they were a wearable item.
I'll try to post my service sheet if I can scan it.
That'd be real interesting to see since Lexus doesn't sell a camber kit for the 2IS and the problem isn't caused by camber anyway (it's caused by toe)
Old 08-25-10, 02:08 PM
Sunspyre
Driver School Candidate

2008 IS250 RWD Manual
23K Miles at time of service
Have F-sport 19"s

Last edited by Sunspyre; 08-25-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 02:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Right camber bracket:
1 48075-30040 BRACKET SUB-ASSY

What's that?
Old 08-25-10, 08:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, I suspect the dealer did this mod described here on a GS-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lexus-rep.html

It's not a "camber kit" which would imply the camber is now adjustable though... it just "sets" it differently than the stock part.

The poster didn't have the same problem as most in the thread are discussing though... in his case it wasn't tire wear, his car wasn't driving straight.
Old 08-26-10, 08:31 AM
Sunspyre
Driver School Candidate

That was my bad on the terminology, but I did have abnormal tire wear on the insides of the tires. At 23k miles, the tires were down to the white and that was their fix for the problem. They installed the new set of front tires that I bought off the internet and we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Quick Reply: F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear