Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 08:26 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear

I purchased a new IS350 that was loaded with all/every F-Sport items possible. Love the car, the way it looks and every detail but am SUPER pissed at one thing. Camber.

I dont understand how Lexus can sell a sport package suspension that has a negative camber of 1.5 degrees. I have only 13k miles on my car and wore through a set of tires due to the inside of them being worn away. Literally.

When I purchased the car no one told me the F-Sport suspension would put the car out of factory calibration settings. I received no disclaimer. In fact, I was told that its fully covered under Lexus warranty just like my regular parts on the car.

Suffice to say, I am pissed! I think its ludicrous to expect someone to swap tires every 15k miles or less due to a manufacturer defects in a suspension system they are selling as optional factory. There should be some type of camber kit included to make the suspension adjustable into factory spec!

I have sent Lexus a letter, filed a complaint with the BBB, and will continue to rant and rave until this is resolved. Even if that mans putting my factory stuff back on and refunding me the cost of this suspension. I just cannot believe I am spending $1200 on new tires and have only had the car 8 months!
Old 08-27-09, 08:30 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think this is an F-Sport issue. The inside of my stock tires were bald by 18k miles, long before I had any f-sport parts. What tires did you have that lasted 13k?
Old 08-27-09, 08:31 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Yokohama Advan
Old 08-27-09, 08:34 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Good luck with the BBB & Lexus. Lexus has clear disclaimers about the wear characteristics of "summer tires" and this is for the stock suspension settings.

[7] performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending upon driving conditions.

Last edited by CRB; 08-27-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-27-09, 08:35 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicholasg
Yokohama Advan
Which ones?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokoha...hama-tires.jsp
Old 08-27-09, 08:46 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Yokohama Advan Sport
Old 08-27-09, 08:47 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRB
Good luck with the BBB & Lexus. Lexus has clear disclaimers about the wear characteristics of "summer tires" and this is for the stock suspension settings.
I am well aware that summer tires wear faster than all season. That doesn't mean that the ENTIRE inside of all 4 wheels should be shredded and the remainder of the tire have plenty of life left. That denotes a serious suspension calibration issue. The middle and outside tread of the tires had at LEAST another 10k miles left if not more.
Old 08-27-09, 08:59 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

I don't think its a suspension defect...I was able to get 40k out of my stock tires and 15k of that was on h&r springs which is a lower drop than the sport suspension. I just recently got 19's to replace the stocks...I do think your problem is the tires...the advan sports only have 180 treadwear rating...the higher the tradwear rating the longer they last...pick some new tires that have 400+ treadwear, get an alignment and you will be happy...
Old 08-27-09, 09:19 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I mean the car does come with a sticker on it warning that the tires may not last long...
Old 08-27-09, 09:38 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Lexus does have a disclaimer saying its tires may last less than 20k miles, and that with STOCK suspension on tires/rims. Theirs also disclaimers on the F-Sport suspension parts stating that increased wear and harsher ride should be expected.

It is NOT a factory defect that the tires don't last that long. You upsize your rim, use lower profile SUMMER tires, lower your car and put on more responsive shocks and you expect your tires to last a long time? High performance oriented upgrades will increase wear and tear, plain and simple. You gotta pay to play.

The reason why the inside of your tires wear out sooner is because of too much toe, this is a well known issue. -1.5 camber should not affect tire wear that much.

Last edited by Coconut; 08-27-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-27-09, 09:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Another suggestion is to not wait until tires are completely worn before having alignment redone by an experienced shop.
Old 08-27-09, 10:20 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Another suggestion is to not wait until tires are completely worn before having alignment redone by an experienced shop.
Ok, I am getting frustrated. Im not sure how many cars you people have owned, or your prior experience with modifying vehicles.

yes, I agree that the tires will not last forever due to the type of car (performance) and tire type (summer performance) however when the complete inside of the tire is worn more than 50% more than the middle or outside, there is an issue. Period.

Toe has NOTHING to do with camber. That was a totally ignorant statement.

if you disagree, call your local performance suspension shop and ask them. I personally had GMG check my suspension. I doubt you get your cars serviced by such a reputable place.....

http://www.gmgracing.com/home.shtml

They confirmed, the suspension specs are way too far out of alignment thus causing the increased wear on the inside of the tires. They said that an adjustable camber kit SHOULD be included with this suspension, especially if it is considered a factory sponsored option.
Old 08-27-09, 10:25 AM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coconut
Lexus does have a disclaimer saying its tires may last less than 20k miles, and that with STOCK suspension on tires/rims. Theirs also disclaimers on the F-Sport suspension parts stating that increased wear and harsher ride should be expected.

It is NOT a factory defect that the tires don't last that long. You upsize your rim, use lower profile SUMMER tires, lower your car and put on more responsive shocks and you expect your tires to last a long time? High performance oriented upgrades will increase wear and tear, plain and simple. You gotta pay to play.

The reason why the inside of your tires wear out sooner is because of too much toe, this is a well known issue. -1.5 camber should not affect tire wear that much.
Lets do the math, divide 13/20 and you will see I only got 65% of the nominal wear. What happened to the other 35%, or even 20%. Sorry bud, it doesn't make sense or add up. If the tires wore evenly, I could understand. But having the complete inside worn means there is a suspension defect.

My 2009 BMW M3 has 20k miles on it with larger, higher performance tires, and the wear is even and perfect. I drive that thing at the track on the weekend as well.......
Old 08-27-09, 10:49 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Ok, I am getting frustrated. Im not sure how many cars you people have owned, or your prior experience with modifying vehicles.

yes, I agree that the tires will not last forever due to the type of car (performance) and tire type (summer performance) however when the complete inside of the tire is worn more than 50% more than the middle or outside, there is an issue. Period.

Toe has NOTHING to do with camber. That was a totally ignorant statement.

if you disagree, call your local performance suspension shop and ask them. I personally had GMG check my suspension. I doubt you get your cars serviced by such a reputable place.....

http://www.gmgracing.com/home.shtml

They confirmed, the suspension specs are way too far out of alignment thus causing the increased wear on the inside of the tires. They said that an adjustable camber kit SHOULD be included with this suspension, especially if it is considered a factory sponsored option.
dude..all my cars have modified suspensions with aftermarket tires & wheels..two of my cars have more negative camber than my is350..if you think you have suspension defects, take it back to the dealer and have them inspect the shocks..most likely that would be the part that would be defective..
Old 08-27-09, 10:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I do have my suspension work and alignment done by a very experienced and at least as reputable place locally in northern California.

I never claimed to be an alignment expert, I leave it to the pros at my shop.

Quick Reply: F-Sport suspension and ridiculous camber and tire wear