Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Life of TRD pads? Long?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 09:26 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life of TRD pads? Long?

I have got two sets of TRD pads from Steve. Planning to install them soon. I will not ged rid of my rotors as they look so healthy.
Do you think using TRD on stock rotors will improve bracking anyway? How long do these pads live? My ex camry was making more than a 100.00 on stock pads. My current lexus pads are half of the way at 50.000. Can I push at least 50k out of TRD pads in regular commuters mode. Accept some weekend driving madness ofcorse.

TRD pads owners? Info?

Thanks

Can not stop drulling about Work wheels...
Old 04-16-02, 09:45 PM
RacingAristo

The aftermarket rotors won't help much unless you take your car to the track then the slotted/cross drilled rotors would help to reduce fading caused by heat.

If you use TRD pads on stock rotors, the stock rotors will be warped a lot faster. I've tested that on Brembo pads on stock BMW rotors.

Currently I have TRD pads/rotors.
Old 04-19-02, 03:40 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah! Your rotor will warp before your pad need to be changed. By then, you still have to purchase a rotor.
Old 04-19-02, 09:48 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Question

OK, now I ?m confused. The only difference between stock and TRD rotor is that TRD is slotted. The slots help to dispense more heat. Is not it? How come stock is getting warped and TRDs are not? I don?t know much about breaks stuff. Please explain.
I?m not taking my car to the track, I just want to improve the performance of my breaks. All sites are saying that slotted TRD with pads setup is only for racing. So it is either All TRD setup for me or just staying on stock

But anyway, how many miles are you expecting to get out of your pads with TRD rotors?
Old 04-19-02, 10:32 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to remember: TRD Brake Pad are harder due to the material, which translate to higher friction. They tend to be metallic material. From all the forms I read before, the stock rotor is softer than the TRD once and TRD uses diff material on Rotor then stock. Also the gas slotted will help disp heat.. when will also prevent warp on rotor..

Got the picture?
Old 04-20-02, 04:16 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The slots also help prevent "glazing" of your break pads (which would cause brake fade)...

Also, another thing you should do is NOT sit on the brakes after a "hot run" in any canyon or anywhere you did a lot of heavy braking. When you "sit" on the breaks, the heat from the pad can cause your rotors to warp. So come to a stop then put it in Neutral...if you're on a incline, hit the e-brakes...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-20-02 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-21-02, 11:58 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Thank You guys

Started shopping for TRD rotors