Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe Sway Bars / H&R Coilovers / LS400 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 06:58 AM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tanabe Sway Bars / H&R Coilovers / LS400 Brakes

Hi guys...

I recently installed some new parts on my 95 SC300, Tanabe Sway bars, H&R Coilovers, as well as LS400 brakes. All of the suspension items were for a MKIV Supra.

I wanted to note that through all the reading and searching, no one mentioned that when you install Supra sway bars, you need to purchase & install the Supra U-clip sway bar mounts for the REAR sway bar as the SC ones are a different (taller) size. I already had the rear subframe supports, those installed pretty easily and actually looked more solid than the original SC300 subframe supports. I noticed a slight increase in rear end rigidity with the stiffer rear mounts.

For those interested, the H&R coilovers are very good quality and ride smooth, I would say they are a nice step up in terms of stiffness from stock. Height adjustable but valves are non-adjustable, but I havent found a need to adjust them either. Well designed.

The LS brake upgrade went along smoothly.. I installed new seals, Brembo blank rotors and Akebono pads. Calipers were powdercoated gloss black. I couldnt find any step-by-step rebuilds on the calipers though, does anyone happen to have any links? I had a hard time installing the O-shaped retaining clips around the piston dust boots. I also noticed that some of my original seals had a metal ring inside the dust boot.. and my rebuild kit did not come with that. Strange.

Last, I had to trim the top of the caliper where it mounts onto the spindle as part of the caliper interfered with the bolt alignment. I only read one other person on here mention that, but thought I should add that as well.

I'll post some pics of the newly installed goodies soon.
Old 09-02-09, 07:35 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Just installed the H&R's myself and I concur with your comments. Very good setup for the money.
Old 09-02-09, 09:49 PM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Just installed the H&R's myself and I concur with your comments. Very good setup for the money.
did you shave your bump stops at all?

i cut trimmed mine a bit more than i think i should have, and after lowering the car i manage to rub under extreme conditions the front fender wells.

i already ordered new bump stops and will install those later, but man clearances are pretty tight in the front fenders... i am running 18x8 w/ 225 series tires, need to make some adjustments
Old 09-05-09, 11:09 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Not 100% sure because I got a shop to install the setup but I don't believe so. I'm pretty low in the front and no rubbing issues here, but then again I'm 17X8 235/45/17 up front.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 09-05-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 11:30 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can i see what the coilovers look like.
Old 09-06-09, 08:06 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Ask and you shall receive. Generic photo from H&R, but they are the supra application in the pic.

Old 11-26-09, 02:59 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I just installed h&r coilovers on my vvti sc4. They are cool and come in 3rd place on my fav. coilover list. My 1st choice is the gixxer custom coilover setup but I used Bilstein shocks w/ mkiii front Eibachs and mkiv rear Eibachs. I had those on my 95sc3. IMO it was the best coilover setup I've ever driven. It felt like I was driving a Porsche 911 at times. My 2nd choice is flt-a2 JIC coilvoers which I had on my 92sc3. They were not as stiff as gixxer but hung in there pretty close. It was both height and damp adjustable, which was awesome. And finally I installed H&R's just 2 weeks ago, and they are pretty bad *** too. I was lucky to pick up a brand new set for $450 shipped to my door via Ebay. They're cool and very different than both flt and gixxer setups. The ride is pretty soft compared to the other 2 but grips the road very well for some reason. This setup feels like you are driving a 2000 M3 but just slightly stiffer. It's definitely very suitable for street driving but for track you may want a bit stiffer. The bad thing about this setup is when you slam your ride all the way, it's a bit too soft to be so low. But overall, I plan on keeping these throughout the life of the car, because I've mellowed down a bit when it comes to modifying sc's.
I also think Lexus could have came out with a sport package sc3/4 consisting of H&R coilovers because I think they're suitable for all drivers.
Old 11-30-09, 02:12 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

The ride is pretty soft compared to the other 2 but grips the road very well for some reason. This setup feels like you are driving a 2000 M3 but just slightly stiffer. It's definitely very suitable for street driving but for track you may want a bit stiffer. The bad thing about this setup is when you slam your ride all the way, it's a bit too soft to be so low.
I found that as well; although these coilovers aren't very stiff the car grips very well on them. I'd be interested to see how adding a set of aftermarket sway bars and bushings (Tanabe or otherwise) would improve upon this setup.
Old 11-30-09, 02:44 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mam
I had a hard time installing the O-shaped retaining clips around the piston dust boots.
I bought remanufactured LS400 front brakes but one of my retaining clips popped off and was definitely a pain in the butt to get back on

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I found that as well; although these coilovers aren't very stiff the car grips very well on them. I'd be interested to see how adding a set of aftermarket sway bars and bushings (Tanabe or otherwise) would improve upon this setup.
From what i've heard, you want to leave the rear suspension on an SC a little soft because they are bad about the rear end coming around. I haven't had this problem with my eibach/tokico setup but i don't have aftermarket swaybars yet.

Last edited by Enigma8246; 11-30-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 03:24 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Now that I've driven with h&r coilovers for a while, I actually like them a lot. Hopefully, this will be my last set for this ride. A lot of people say the more you drive on this set the more you like it. And I am starting to like it more and more.
Old 12-13-09, 09:54 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Rebuild kits are readily available for the LS400 brakes.I know RockAuto use to have a great price on them(just the rubber parts). DIY Rebuild them just like any other Lexus front brakes/calipers. They DO take more patience since you have four pistons! A compressor is of BIG HELP here, as well as c-clamps and block off plates (small pieces of wood helps here big time) to pop all the pistons out. Once you get the hang of putting the rubber dust boots on it goes fairly easy. You MUST use the little metal wire/ring to hold the dust boot in place in the piston bore! Also remember to use the piston grease as well. (Just like any other caliper rebuild)

Remember, Patience, Patience these are your FRONT brakes after all! I say, give yourself aleast 1 hour per caliper rebuild and, Do it right!!! BTW, make sure you clean the bores and the pistons really well before you install the rubber parts. Have fun!