Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 11:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The guy doing my installation is claiming none of that is neccessary if the installation is done correctly. Not even an alignment. He admits a lot of people dont' know what they are doing out there. My gut feeling is he knows his work. He does custom cars for SEMA and is also working on his own IS250 for SEMA. I have faith so far but we shall see...
although i have my doubts that the "not even an alignment" will hold true after your f-sport springs install, only way to find out if he's as good as you advertise him to be is to get your 2is on an alignment rack after installation and get the numbers...
Old 09-02-09, 11:49 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here...
sorry but you are... fsport springs = overpriced/weak drop... you shoulda got eibach 250 springs
Old 09-02-09, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
sorry but you are... fsport springs = overpriced/weak drop... you shoulda got eibach 250 springs
I don't want it any lower than what the F's do. My intention is to create a look that Lexus should have done in the first place with a factory sport suspension.
I am also conservative and don't want the hassles of scraping, slowing down for driveways, or attracting outside attention. But I appreciate your suggestion and am aware there are more aggressive springs out there.
Old 09-03-09, 12:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
although i have my doubts that the "not even an alignment" will hold true after your f-sport springs install, only way to find out if he's as good as you advertise him to be is to get your 2is on an alignment rack after installation and get the numbers...
That's a good idea. I've budgeted for an alignment regardless, so we shall see....
Old 09-03-09, 03:47 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FSport springs are about as vanilla a suspension mod as you can get. You will have no issues with rubbing/curbing/rough ride/etc.

Given the lack of a significant drop, I agree that an alignment is probably optional. But it never hurts, especially if you've already budgeted for one.
Old 09-03-09, 04:01 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post some pics!
Old 09-03-09, 04:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please keep us posted with some pics, Good Luck !
Old 09-03-09, 06:01 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I really want H&Rs... it's the best drop IMO on springs, and is linear compared to the F-Sport's progressive springs (resulting in the clunking noise)
Just so you know, the H&R springs are actually progressive, not linear. Clunking hasn't been an issue, either.
Old 09-03-09, 06:58 AM
sandwiches
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know how it comes out! I have the springs/shocks/sways coming in the mail, and will need to get them installed. Was going to go to Milpitas, but if your guy is good, let me know!
Old 09-03-09, 07:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm running Eibach 350's with 19's no problems. F-Sports should be the same.
Old 09-03-09, 08:29 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You shouldn't be nervous but excited since you're not the one doing the install. I'll be real nervous if I were doing DIY. The car looks a lot better even just about an inch drop, although the ride seem a bit harsher after a few weeks of install.

Last edited by dojoman; 09-03-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-03-09, 08:37 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

did you go to Tommy at muscibox?
Old 09-03-09, 10:00 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
FSport springs are about as vanilla a suspension mod as you can get. You will have no issues with rubbing/curbing/rough ride/etc.

Given the lack of a significant drop, I agree that an alignment is probably optional. But it never hurts, especially if you've already budgeted for one.
compared to capability of extremely lowered ride heights of coilovers, the lowered ride height of f-sport springs may not seem "significant". however, just remember that not everyone has a budget or need for coilovers...

but iirc, in order to install f-sport springs - or any aftermarket lowering springs for that matter, you have to unbolt the shock assemblies from the car in order to get to the springs. i would think that anytime you unbolt anything major (shocks, control arms, etc.) from the suspension system, post-work alignment is highly recommended.

that is, unless you want to come back several months later and complain about uneven tire wear...

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
did you go to Tommy at muscibox?
i think Fizzboy7 is in norcal.
Old 09-03-09, 10:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectdna
c

i think Fizzboy7 is in norcal.
He's in southern cal.
Old 09-03-09, 10:12 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but projectdna, the installer guy claims to have the magic touch when installing springs. that is the reason why no alignment needed. i guess u dont believe in such thing.
I always thought alignment is required after any spring installed. its better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)