Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 11:09 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I really want H&Rs... it's the best drop IMO on springs, and is linear compared to the F-Sport's progressive springs (resulting in the clunking noise) but I already scrape on some ares on STOCK suspension ...so even though I don't want to, I may go for f-sports... but im still thinking...

can't wait for some pics!! It may help me decide lol
get H&R's i love mine, if u don't wanna throw the cash out for coils

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Just so you know, the H&R springs are actually progressive, not linear. Clunking hasn't been an issue, either.
no clunking issues w/ my H&R springs i installed myself. but people seem to say dealer installed F-sport springs have that clunkin issue so idk whats up

people think about lowering their car to much its just freaking springs "just do it" you won't regret it
Old 09-03-09, 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alignment is advised after installation of springs.
Old 09-03-09, 11:19 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Any update? I personally will like to know if the ride height are equal on all corners. I heard this is a huge problem with Lexus...you will notice one side is higher than the other after installing lowering springs.
Old 09-03-09, 11:59 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by funnie
but projectdna, the installer guy claims to have the magic touch when installing springs. that is the reason why no alignment needed. i guess u dont believe in such thing.
I always thought alignment is required after any spring installed. its better to be safe than sorry.
"magic touch" doesn't apply to auto mechanics. if that was the case, i'd like someone with a "magic touch" to make my 2is handle like a go-cart, but i digress...

with all due respect to Fizzboy7's installer, he can be a certified lexus master technician, or he can be some random john doe working out of a makeshift garage and making claims of this or that, i don't care. the "the magic touch" doesn't mean anything. if i'm getting major work/removal/replacement of major suspension components, i know i'm going to require an alignment.

on the other hand, if he is that damn good that he can eyeball the post-install alignment and get it within half a hair of the oem alignment specs, i'm not going to rest on his word. again, no disrespect, but numbers don't lie.

i'm not being skeptical; i'm being realistic. prove it to me, and i'll stand corrected.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Alignment is advised after installation of springs.
thank you.

btw, i thought he was in norcal, so with that regard i stand corrected. but if he wants a quality installer in socal who's worked on quite a few 2is's, i can recommend someone to him...
Old 09-03-09, 12:04 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by funnie
but projectdna, the installer guy claims to have the magic touch when installing springs. that is the reason why no alignment needed. i guess u dont believe in such thing.
I always thought alignment is required after any spring installed. its better to be safe than sorry.
That is true with springs - you need an alignment. With coilover is a different story. You do not have to get an alignment, and it's obvious why.
Old 09-03-09, 12:12 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
"magic touch" doesn't apply to auto mechanics. if that was the case, i'd like someone with a "magic touch" to make my 2is handle like a go-cart, but i digress...

with all due respect to Fizzboy7's installer, he can be a certified lexus master technician, or he can be some random john doe working out of a makeshift garage and making claims of this or that, i don't care. the "the magic touch" doesn't mean anything. if i'm getting major work/removal/replacement of major suspension components, i know i'm going to require an alignment.

on the other hand, if he is that damn good that he can eyeball the post-install alignment and get it within half a hair of the oem alignment specs, i'm not going to rest on his word. again, no disrespect, but numbers don't lie.

i'm not being skeptical; i'm being realistic. prove it to me, and i'll stand corrected.

thank you.

btw, i thought he was in norcal, so with that regard i stand corrected. but if he wants a quality installer in socal who's worked on quite a few 2is's, i can recommend someone to him...
I think too he is BS when he says that you dont need aligment
Old 09-03-09, 01:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for the news from Mr. Fizz, tick-tock, tick-tock.
Old 09-03-09, 01:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm in SoCal. Leaving in 30 minutes. Will post my thoughts tonight if I am not going out late to celebrate (this is big!).
As Glenn Frey once said, "The Heat is On!" (before you're times)
Old 09-03-09, 02:32 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
That is true with springs - you need an alignment. With coilover is a different story. You do not have to get an alignment, and it's obvious why.
and exactly how different is the story? i'm not quite seeing the "obvious" that you're alluding to.
Old 09-03-09, 06:53 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm in SoCal. Leaving in 30 minutes. Will post my thoughts tonight if I am not going out late to celebrate (this is big!).
As Glenn Frey once said, "The Heat is On!" (before you're times)
nice! celebrating after getting springs installed on yur car. i wonder what u are going to do when u get a new set of hot wheels on yur car.......
Old 09-03-09, 07:10 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
and exactly how different is the story? i'm not quite seeing the "obvious" that you're alluding to.
i don't see this obvious thing he claims either. if you go from stock to slam the camber angles will change drastically...same thing with springs depending on the drop.
Old 09-03-09, 07:17 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my Fsports installed, I went in for in an alignment the next day and my car was in spec, including toe, which is critical to tire wear. Camber was around 1.6-8 ish in the rear. Waited a month later after the springs settled and returned to the same shop, and the car was slightly out of spec. (toe) and got it aligned.

I think the Fsports are mild enough and may not need an alignment directly after the install, but may need one after they settle. I always wait for the springs to settle and do another alignment after a drop on any of the cars I've owned.

When I first dropped the car, the look was very modest. Now after 6 months, the car has lowered even more and looks much better. The Fsports are great if you want something mild. Slamming my car wasn't an option if I have to have clients in the car with me.

Last edited by S to the K; 09-03-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 08:59 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by S to the K
When I had my Fsports installed, I went in for in an alignment the next day and my car was in spec, including toe, which is critical to tire wear. Camber was around 1.6-8 ish in the rear. Waited a month later after the springs settled and returned to the same shop, and the car was slightly out of spec. (toe) and got it aligned.

I think the Fsports are mild enough and may not need an alignment directly after the install, but may need one after they settle. I always wait for the springs to settle and do another alignment after a drop on any of the cars I've owned.

When I first dropped the car, the look was very modest. Now after 6 months, the car has lowered even more and looks much better. The Fsports are great if you want something mild. Slamming my car wasn't an option if I have to have clients in the car with me.
Springs are not supposed to settle. Broken bushings on the shocks might have made your springs lowered. I got my springs installed a month ago and the height is exactly the same.
Old 09-03-09, 09:00 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

is it possible u guys got 2 different sets of springs ?
Old 09-03-09, 09:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Springs are not supposed to settle. Broken bushings on the shocks might have made your springs lowered. I got my springs installed a month ago and the height is exactly the same.

Exactly.

Springs don't settle, that's a myth. If anything changed a month later it's because your installer did it wrong and didn't reset the bushings to neutral during his work.

Quick Reply: Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)