Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 07:03 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey fizzy, the pics looks like its from the valley. is that rinaldi in the background ? Thanks for the info on the tint. have u not been cited for tinted windows in the front? do u have spacers on yur wheels?

I will install my springs when its not so hot. dang fires not helping.
Old 09-04-09, 07:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112
Yea I agree, they seem to be the worse pro installer as of yet. Sorry to say but it's definitely the contrary of the "magic touch". From clunking on all four sides (which is not common at all) to not correctly placing back or adjusting the AFS senor. I wouldn't recommend you to go back for other mods once they fix your springs issue if I were you.

Also wait 3 days for the springs to settle and hurry to get alignment so your tires won't wear drastically. Base on your installer's "skills", it would highly behoove you to get alignment ASAP.
Everyone is getting ahead of themselves here. I did not claim he had any "magic touch." Someone else did. He listed his references and they seemed impressive. For the price I paid, I think I got a decent deal out of it. Working out bugs is something I've come to expect with suspension mods and it will get resolved one way or another. This certainly is not the end of anything. I'm giving it a short time to let everything settle down before heading back.

As far as the clunking, I've researched the heck out of this topic and clunking is common. Hence the silencers and sleeves offered by manufacturers.
Old 09-04-09, 07:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by funnie
hey fizzy, the pics looks like its from the valley. is that rinaldi in the background ? Thanks for the info on the tint. have u not been cited for tinted windows in the front? do u have spacers on yur wheels?

I will install my springs when its not so hot. dang fires not helping.
Dang your good! Yeah, it's very close to Rinaldi, but a bit north.
I worry about the front tints all the time and I know it's just a matter of time. Yet I keep them on. hehe I have some other items on my car that might help me get out of such a situation, so hopefully my luck will continue.
Old 09-04-09, 07:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wait till you throw on some 19" mooncakes... you'll hate the drop , 3 months later you'll be asking about 'which coils should i put on' but its ok, we've all gone thru this
Old 09-04-09, 08:34 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ maybe you should read through the thread and understand Fizzboy7's needs and wants before making a suggestion. /OT

the "magic touch" remark was made in jest in reference to funnie's post. i've never worked with your installer before, so i can only base my comment on your post regarding his work on your car. but i wonder: if he's working on an is250 for SEMA, and he's as good as you make him out to be, why is your AFS light on? i mean, shouldn't he have known better to take care of that before sending you on your way?

btw, the bracket holding the AFS sensor arm is only on the rear control arm on the drivr's side.
Old 09-04-09, 10:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ maybe you should read through the thread and understand Fizzboy7's needs and wants before making a suggestion. /OT
haha needs and wants change my friend as i already said, 'we've all gone thru this'. Everyone has/had reasons for wanting 'just a mild drop' and they were all good reasons and they all made sense till the 19's go on

Last edited by llamaboiz; 09-04-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 10:59 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

mmmm 19" mooncakes....... i have those for dessert.....
Old 09-04-09, 11:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112
Also wait 3 days for the springs to settle and hurry to get alignment so your tires won't wear drastically. Base on your installer's "skills", it would highly behoove you to get alignment ASAP.

Again, springs don't settle... bushings do, and only if the installer didn't reset them to neutral when doing the install. If he did it correctly you can get it aligned right then as ride height won't change any further.

(though from the sounds of it it's quite likely he didn't)
Old 09-05-09, 12:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna

the "magic touch" remark was made in jest in reference to funnie's post. i've never worked with your installer before, so i can only base my comment on your post regarding his work on your car. but i wonder: if he's working on an is250 for SEMA, and he's as good as you make him out to be, why is your AFS light on? i mean, shouldn't he have known better to take care of that before sending you on your way?

btw, the bracket holding the AFS sensor arm is only on the rear control arm on the drivr's side.
Do all 2IS's have AFS? Or is it just on xenon-equipped cars? Maybe this is the first AFS he's come across, I don't know. When I return to him to have it set, he's going to learn real quick with the info I have from here.

*I tried adjusting it this afternoon, but no luck. I need better tools and the car jacked up.
Old 09-05-09, 08:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Do all 2IS's have AFS? Or is it just on xenon-equipped cars? Maybe this is the first AFS he's come across, I don't know. When I return to him to have it set, he's going to learn real quick with the info I have from here.

*I tried adjusting it this afternoon, but no luck. I need better tools and the car jacked up.
If you have OEM HIDs you have AFS, if you don't you don't.
Old 09-05-09, 11:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
wait till you throw on some 19" mooncakes... you'll hate the drop , 3 months later you'll be asking about 'which coils should i put on' but its ok, we've all gone thru this
I have 19's with Eibach 350's (same drop as F-Sports), it's the perfect drop after 3+ months. The springs were the best mod for the money for my IS350 so far. No noise, alignment was done same day as installation, tracks like a modern Mercedes at speed (since I have one in the garage to compare to).
Old 09-05-09, 11:39 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Again, springs don't settle... bushings do, and only if the installer didn't reset them to neutral when doing the install. If he did it correctly you can get it aligned right then as ride height won't change any further.

(though from the sounds of it it's quite likely he didn't)

Again, YOU ARE WRONG.

AGAIN, I installed coilovers myself on a previous car and they settled after a few months. There was NO seating of bushings whatsoever. It was a direct bolt-on install. 3 nuts on the top and one attachment on the bottom. AGAIN, no bushing seating is necessary with coilovers.

AND YES, the car settled lower after a few months. I also had a friend that had an Eclipse turbo with tein coilovers and his car settled significantly after a few months. His dumba$$ never changed the height settings once after install. A lot of people don't when they get coilovers, since most of the time it requires jacking up the car and removing the wheels. My friend was satisfied with the ride height with the initial height adjustment after it SETTLED. He just left it at that setting.

AGAIN, they DO settle. Bushings may affect ride height if they are installed incorrectly on srpings, but again, the fact that coilovers settle mean that you are again, WRONG.
Old 09-05-09, 12:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Kurtz;4824167]If you have OEM HIDs you have AFS, if you don't you don't.

I know I have AFS, but it sounds like the other IS's he's done did not have it. Will talk to him later in the week about the adjustment.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-09, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Fizzboy7;4824537]
Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you have OEM HIDs you have AFS, if you don't you don't.

I know I have AFS, but it sounds like the other IS's he's done did not have it. Will talk to him later in the week about the adjustment.
Thanks for the info.
fyi - It's very common on the majority of ISx50's because it's included with Sport and Lux packages.
Old 09-05-09, 03:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rob stolen
Again, YOU ARE WRONG.

AGAIN, I installed coilovers myself on a previous car and they settled after a few months. There was NO seating of bushings whatsoever. It was a direct bolt-on install. 3 nuts on the top and one attachment on the bottom. AGAIN, no bushing seating is necessary with coilovers.
That's great. Of course, we're discussing springs, where bushings ARE involved...

Springs, however, don't settle, it's simply a myth that you seem to keep wanting to repeat. The only reason height changes on a spring install is because they're not resetting the bushings like they should.

The Lexus service documents even explain this, in detail, including how to reset the bushings during a spring install.

I'm gonna take the official Lexus documentation and the repeated advice of numerous highly knowledgeable forum members I referenced in earlier posts over yours... nothing personal.

Here's a bunch more people who know I'm right BTW-

https://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ga...ml#post1489913

Properly made, modern springs don't settle. This is from the mouth of the former North American motorsports director of H&R Springs.
Or-
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh...?post/1996817/

Springs don't settle. Other moving parts might shift or "suddenly" break free, but steel doesn't settle. It yeilds from overload or breaks from fatigue.

Wood and concrete "settle" (creep, actually), but steel does not.
http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspen...html#post45757

The springs don't settle. What typically happens is the bushings in the suspension settle. Best way to avoid this and get the alignment right the first time is loosen the suspension points and allow the car to settle. Then tighten it up and do the alignment.

If you think about it you wouldn't want to buy a spring that compresses as a function of time.
In other words, he's telling you to reset the bushings- just like Lexus does- and you won't see any sort of "settling" because springs don't settle

Don't wanna believe "some guys on the internet"? (which is what you are too of course)

How bout Eibach, the people who MAKE the springs the thread is about?

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...90591100025473

All Eibach suspension coils are pre-set to eliminate settling and increase life expectancy. Some minimal settling may occur as the new spring mates up to an existing rubber suspension isolator
In other words- springs don't settle. Bushings (rubber suspension isolators) do.

If you reset the bushings during install, as you should, that won't even happen.

But feel free to keep discussing unrelated matters and telling me I'm wrong somehow if it makes ya feel better.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-05-09 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Nervous as hell... (installing F sport springs tomorrow)