Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A lot of pedal play after rear Supra TT brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 04:04 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A lot of pedal play after rear Supra TT brake upgrade

We just installed the rear rotors/brakes and now Im getting a lot of pedal play. It almost feels like Im applying the brakes twice when Im stepping on the brake pedal. Is this normal? I really dont like how it feels because when I brake almost to a complete stop, the brakes dont stop fast enough and it feels worst than the stock setup, not that they were bad. But when I brake during higher speeds it grabs pretty good.

We already bled the rears twice, do I have to bleed the fronts? Anything I can do to correct this long pedal play? I'll be installing the front rotors/calipers when I get my spacers, they wont clear on the current wheel setup I have right now. Will it get better when I replace the fronts?
Old 09-04-09, 04:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only roughly 30% of your braking comes from the rear of the car. My guess is that your problem will sort itself out when you get your front ones installed. Just to be on the safe side though I would probably bleed my front brakes if I were you.
Old 09-05-09, 11:55 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
We already bled the rears twice, do I have to bleed the fronts?
Is this a joke?
Old 09-05-09, 11:59 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Bleed all lines starting from the furthest.
Old 09-05-09, 03:56 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

AlWAYS bleed all your lines just to be safe, it's so easy to do....
Old 09-06-09, 02:19 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

OK, so we bled the fronts today and feels a whole lot better but it still feels spongey. I'm going to try to bleed all four sides starting with the furthest on Tues to see if it helps.

The mechanic did this job for me while I was at work, he's 3 shops down. I would walk by to check on it and helped him bleed the brakes but didnt ask if the front needed to be bled.
Old 09-08-09, 01:46 PM
95silversc
Rookie

Another thing to consider... If you got your brake parts used or from a junkyard vs new or rebuilt they might be worn out and have leaky seals.
Old 09-09-09, 07:02 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things-

Make sure you bleed every caliper, and make sure that the bleeder valve is on the top of the caliper or you'll never get it right.

If your bleeding at the bottom of the caliper you'll never get that trapped air in the top of the caliper out.
Old 09-09-09, 08:47 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Does your stock Master Cylinder deliver the same line pressure at lock than the Master Cylinder of the car your BBK came off of? Hmmmm.
Old 09-09-09, 09:32 PM
Ryeno
Banned

no offanse dude but what did you expect?

By only upgrading the rears you have got rid of the brake bias the stock system is intended for so of course the pressure is going to get screwed up.

If you want everything to feel oem put the fronts on and then install a supra tt mc.
Old 09-10-09, 12:41 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rex Ruthor
Does your stock Master Cylinder deliver the same line pressure at lock than the Master Cylinder of the car your BBK came off of? Hmmmm.
Originally Posted by Ryeno
no offanse dude but what did you expect?

By only upgrading the rears you have got rid of the brake bias the stock system is intended for so of course the pressure is going to get screwed up.

If you want everything to feel oem put the fronts on and then install a supra tt mc.
Have you guys done this upgrade and swapped out the MC? I want some more opinions before I go out and purchase a MC that I might not need. I was on the Supra forums and asked a member on there that was it nessary to replace the MC, he answered NO.

He did the TT brake setup on his 93 SC300 and his 97 SC400 without any other mods and says that the pedal response was better than his 95 TT without any pedal play.
Old 09-10-09, 08:39 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you verified that the bleeder nipple is at the top of the calipers?

I swapped front/rear TT brakes, and swapping to the 98+TT master didn't do much for me when I was troubleshooting the brake pedal feel.

I also changed out the brake booster and that didn't do anything either. My pedal feel was fixed after I installed a new brake booster hose with wormgear clamps, and I installed the calipers on the correct sides of the car with bleeders up!

I swear solid air came out of the brake system for a good 3 seconds or more after I swapped the calipers.

Toyota tweaked the Supra TT brakes in 98+. They added the better abs unit, and the master cylinder bore was increased to 1.05" all for better pedal feel.

good luck

Last edited by RyanV; 09-10-09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 08:59 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Not yet, when we bled the brakes the mechanic had me pump the brakes while he was playing with the nipple, releasing air outta the valve. I really didnt pay any attention where the nipple was located, I'll ask him when I run into him.

This is good to hear tho, hopefully I dont have to purchase anymore parts for this upgrade. A MC or Brake booster from a MK4 will just put a bigger whole in my wallet. Thanks for the info RyanV...
Old 09-13-09, 06:33 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Have you guys done this upgrade and swapped out the MC? I want some more opinions before I go out and purchase a MC that I might not need. I was on the Supra forums and asked a member on there that was it nessary to replace the MC, he answered NO.

He did the TT brake setup on his 93 SC300 and his 97 SC400 without any other mods and says that the pedal response was better than his 95 TT without any pedal play.

I am the type to explore the physics of an upgrade before doing it vs. internet subjective review motivation. That is why I asked the simple question. Line pressure is a permanent parameter of clamping force and always will be in every single hydraulic braking system ever built by mankind. Science is solid. Ricing from the hip is not.

Clamping force is delivered at the wheel through a properly bled system.

Good luck with resolving your issues. If anyone happens to get the line pressure at lock delta information between MCs, kindly post the data.

The Mazda guys get it
Old 09-13-09, 08:08 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I had to change the MC when i redid my brakes... I read on SF, I believe that a few pwople had this issue after instaling LS4 brakes on the front. I have LS4 on the front and TT's on the rear

Quick Reply: A lot of pedal play after rear Supra TT brake upgrade