Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Here's a question (coilovers vs. springs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 02:37 PM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ and there will be those to tell you to "go with coilovers and slam that btch you won't regret it blah blah blah." don't bother with the parrots or the monkeys that give uninformed, biased (read: useless) suggestions.

yes, coilovers do need periodic service in the form of rebuilding. however, how long in between periodic services depends on your driving habits and type of driving that you do (street, race, or both). for the majority of us who don't track our cars, we don't need to look at rebuilding coilovers until there is an obvious, noticeable compromise in handling abilities. in majority of cases, that may come a lot later than sooner - unless you hit a pothole from hell, but i digress... exactly how much later or sooner, i wouldn't be able to tell you. however, i would imagine that they would last as long as 30k miles or more if driven regularly (with the occasional spirited maneuvers), and maybe even longer if babied. with track driving, that number will drop significantly.

rebuilding will require removal of the coilovers, which means if you can't do it, you'll need to pay a shop to do it. same with getting the coilovers back from rebuilding. and then there's the cost of rebuildling coilovers. imo these are unavoidable costs that come with the territory. if you want to play, you have to pay.

when weighing the two options, consider your budget and your needs. do you have the money for coilovers now? if not, when can you afford coilovers? do you really need the functionality of coilovers? do you really need to have the ride height dialed in at an exact height? or can you get by with a certain fixed height for your ownership period?

again, don't bother with opinions from monkeys and parrots in this forum. get your facts right, do a lot of research (here and around the internet), and make an informed decision based on your budget and your need.

good luck, and keep us informed.

Listen to this guy......
Old 09-15-09, 03:51 PM
Lexi D
Driver

Thanks to all who replyed! I think I'm going to go with springs for now. Still undecided on the brand though. I need to get rims and a kit too, I want to do it all at the same time. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-09, 04:33 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was leaning towards going for Tein S-Techs for the longest time, but after seeing H&R, it won me over. I have enjoyed having it and don't regret it. I'm looking at getting F-Sport shocks though when my shocks blow out. I do not need to have the adjustability for height and comfort for me on the roads isn't too terrible.
Old 09-15-09, 04:52 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in your situation about a year ago, I ended up going with TEIN S-Tech's. I regret it, i'd wish I saved for a little bit longer to get a decent set of coilovers.

edit: and you have a pm
Old 09-16-09, 01:44 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

hi. I'm thinking of installing Tein High Tech springs..and after a year or two install Tein CS coils..will that be ok? these two should be compatible right since Tein H.Tech springs is ok with OEM shocks..anyone know the cons of installing both H.Tech springs and CS coils?
Old 09-16-09, 12:17 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=projectdna;4829234again, don't bother with opinions from monkeys and parrots in this forum. get your facts right, do a lot of research (here and around the internet), and make an informed decision based on your budget and your need.

good luck, and keep us informed.[/QUOTE]

DAMN!! I don't want to be called a parrot or monkey, so I will not make any commments.

But if you said, "don't listen to these pimps and thugz"...I will recommend going with coilovers!