Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

tanabe sustec pro5 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 11:48 AM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you see other people might think sustec 5s are comfy and whatnot, but we need to take in consideration were in hawaii, which is rated 2nd worst roads in the US. They may be rolling on smooth, paved roads. Here theres a potholes and potholes within potholes on every corner. Anyway they came in today, so you will get to be the judge of how they feel.

Also i think how much you drop the coils makes a big difference, Im slammed so it probably makes it even more of a bumpy ride.

FYI- mess around with the damper settings, it made a huge difference in the comfort of the ride. When they were on stiff settings it literally felt like I was off roading at certain times.
Old 09-16-09, 11:38 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i remember seeing the UAS kit for $2000?
But like moo_juice said. the roads are hella rough here. I know people who popped their bags and stuff. But hey its a sacrifice for driving pretty. hahaa.

Just install them yourself. I did mine with a friend haha. Its easy, there's a DIY thread with tanabes.
Old 09-17-09, 02:09 AM
blkis_250
Pole Position

lol yea, since they came in already, theres no turning back. i just gotta go thru with it. lol watch out for a slammed is250 on stocks runnin around town ;D
Old 09-19-09, 01:15 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkis_250
are you serious? man... i wanted something comfortable... lol. i guess i shoulda came out to the meets and took up steezy's offer to test drive his car. T_T oh well, if anything, ill just sell them if it isnt comfortable enough.
and as you can probably tell, i havent installed them yet. my friend down at munky wurks gave me a good deal on it. only problem is shipping will take a little longer than usual. they should be in this thursday tho . i dont really wanna drop my car yet tho, im still running on stock rims

haha dont be so hard on yourself, guys have problems with drops too.
what's wrong with stock rims? run em hard! i was running my stockies for months...

imo, i drive better than my bf... my car is faster too!
Old 09-19-09, 01:37 AM
sixseven1
Driver

no matter what coilover set up u choose, none of em have the comfort level as your stock. its one of the many things we all have to deal with for looking good.
Old 09-19-09, 02:37 AM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Annalyz
what's wrong with stock rims? run em hard! i was running my stockies for months...

imo, i drive better than my bf... my car is faster too!
haha you go girl!

and to sixseven1, I'm about to learn firsthand. installation is tomorrow!! ill post pics if can
Old 09-19-09, 02:41 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

haha you go girl!

and to sixseven1, I'm about to learn firsthand. installation is tomorrow!! ill post pics if can
ahh, the installation is easy... the hardest part for me was taking off/putting on the tire!

good luck, lei.
Old 09-19-09, 02:44 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sixseven1
no matter what coilover set up u choose, none of em have the comfort level as your stock. its one of the many things we all have to deal with for looking good.
imo, the ride on my coilovers are 10x better than stock...
Old 09-19-09, 02:49 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thing is, drop before rims ALWAYS... a lowered car on stock rims always looks better than a stock height car on aftermarket rims, just look at those maxima/altimas you see all over the place
Old 09-20-09, 01:38 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

ok guys i did it, and i have to nothing but good to say about it. i took a whole night of breaking it in on tantlus and my car handles like a beast now. If you guys know me, i love taking hard turns and my body used to roll around all over the place. but with the coilovers, i dont move at all anymore... its amazing to say the least. my friends who own tuner cars like 240's and rx-7s all say they used to hate my car b/c of the sway and how it always feels like its rolling over but last night, they were speechless

my only gripe is... i messed up my front lip... T_T i learned a hard lesson last night. anyone have tips on going at an angle??

i'l be posting pics soon. pictures speak louder than my words ever could
i think it was about a 2in drop all around. but we'll see.
Old 09-21-09, 05:55 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

i memorized all the turns from my hachi days... on the steep turns, i hug the outside! if your car is stick... drift away from the turn and pop the clutch!

ahh, what do i know? i'm just a girl...
Old 09-21-09, 02:16 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

ok here are the pics. from what i can tell, it is definitely 2in. all around. I cant make it up my driveway anymore so its street parking till i figure it out T_T

Last edited by blkis_250; 09-21-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 02:22 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok guys i did it, and i have to nothing but good to say about it. i took a whole night of breaking it in on tantlus and my car handles like a beast now. If you guys know me, i love taking hard turns and my body used to roll around all over the place. but with the coilovers, i dont move at all anymore... its amazing to say the least. my friends who own tuner cars like 240's and rx-7s all say they used to hate my car b/c of the sway and how it always feels like its rolling over but last night, they were speechless

my only gripe is... i messed up my front lip... T_T i learned a hard lesson last night. anyone have tips on going at an angle??

i'l be posting pics soon. pictures speak louder than my words ever could
i think it was about a 2in drop all around. but we'll see.

always angle to the same side so only one side of your lips gets messed up lol. After about a month of scraping it stopped bothering me. I had to drive into a client's parking garage downtown one day and the entire bottom of my front lip lost its paint and the rear got torn up on the right side. Its not too visible, but after that incident scraping doesnt really bother me anymore. What you gotta watch out for are those parking barriers at the end of a lot of stalls, those will cause cracks more so than scrapes!

Anyway maybe I got a bad set or coils or something, because ive pretty much tried every damper setting and it does eliminate a lot of roll, but it also feels like im going off roading.

Last edited by moo_juice; 09-21-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 02:33 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

yea, i need to learn how to angle fast. it was so embarrassing my first night out. I went to burger king (the one close to the art museum) and got stuck for a little while going up the ramp T_T
Old 09-21-09, 09:34 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Nice pics mannnn. Is it full slam? It says 2in. up front and 2.5in in the back, but wait for a week or 2 it'll settle even lower and nicer haha.

As for angling dont be embarrassed you have an IS250 VIP, pretty soon BPU cause i see the "1JZ coming soon" on your sig. haha, just take up the whole driveway when you angle and go at a 45 degree? depending how steep it is or how much room you have.

Quick Reply: tanabe sustec pro5 coilovers