Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

shocks/springs problem with install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 03:44 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks/springs problem with install

so I bought some used supra stock shocks and eibach springs. correct me if im wrong but stock supra shocks were tokico's right? so i got them installed and i noticed that my passenger rear wheel side has about a 2-2.5 inch gap between the wheel and the fender, and the driver side has like a 1 inch gap between. and also I've been experiencing clunking noise in the rear end when i hit potholes, bumps(sounds like something is lost, and metal is hitting metal. sounded exactly the same when i had no bushings in my rack and pinion) most likely the suspension because the noise only started after they instlled the suspensions i bought. anyone know what the problem could be? installed them wrong? is there a certain way the rear shocks are supposed to face? help please. i also got some is350 rims recently so I want to fix this problem so I can throw on the rims. can't wait.
Old 09-20-09, 04:10 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did you pay for them? I ask because either you got ripped off for paying too much or the guy sold it cheap knowing the shocks are probably toast and could be bottoming out..... It could also be that the bolts are not tight enough and became loose? Top mount shock support assembly bolt is also probably not tight so the shock rod is moving..... Basically you need to inspect the bolts..... You can also open the trunk, push the rear up/down hard and check if you hear any clunking noise.
Old 09-20-09, 04:20 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masagsxr
How much did you pay for them? I ask because either you got ripped off for paying too much or the guy sold it cheap knowing the shocks are probably toast and could be bottoming out..... It could also be that the bolts are not tight enough and became loose? Top mount shock support assembly bolt is also probably not tight so the shock rod is moving..... Basically you need to inspect the bolts..... You can also open the trunk, push the rear up/down hard and check if you hear any clunking noise.
i got it for real cheap $100. let me explain in a little better. about a week ago, i got someone to install the shocks/springs. everything was fine. no clunking, the wheel gap was even and the ride was smooth. now yesterday, about 1 week after driving the car, i start hearing a clunking noise in the rear, mostly on the passenger side. the sound only occurs when i hit bumps, potholes, etc. I doubt that the rear shocks are worn and he sold it knowingly that it was worn because I drove it for about a week and it was fine. maybe the bolts and nuts got loose?

but yeah, so today i bought is350 rims and put them on my car. after putting the is350 rims, i notice that my passenger rear wheel side have about 2-2.5 inch gap, and the driver rear wheel side has only about 1 inch. did I do something wrong when I installed? i highly doubt it??? not sure. any help?
Old 09-20-09, 04:41 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ur car on a flat surface? you know my driver is a little uneven. My passenger side would be like 1 finger and driver side would be about 2-2.5 finger gap...

(Just thinking).....Gravity: when you driver through pot holes, the wheel would fall on the hole because of its weight right (rebound)? As you drive through, the whole weight of the car goes back on the shocks (compression). This is why I am wondering if the shocks are dead and that side could be bottoming out. It won't be clunking noise tho but like a solid knocking sound. If not, my next question would be, were the springs cut? If so, then it could be that when it is fully expanded the clunking noise you are hearing is probably the springs bouncing on the top mount as you go through those pot holes.... I can give you many guess' here but you really need to check for yourself. Knuckle bolt is loose? Top mounts loose? shocks are dead? springs cut or heated and lost its purpose?
Old 09-20-09, 11:47 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masagsxr
ur car on a flat surface? you know my driver is a little uneven. My passenger side would be like 1 finger and driver side would be about 2-2.5 finger gap...

(Just thinking).....Gravity: when you driver through pot holes, the wheel would fall on the hole because of its weight right (rebound)? As you drive through, the whole weight of the car goes back on the shocks (compression). This is why I am wondering if the shocks are dead and that side could be bottoming out. It won't be clunking noise tho but like a solid knocking sound. If not, my next question would be, were the springs cut? If so, then it could be that when it is fully expanded the clunking noise you are hearing is probably the springs bouncing on the top mount as you go through those pot holes.... I can give you many guess' here but you really need to check for yourself. Knuckle bolt is loose? Top mounts loose? shocks are dead? springs cut or heated and lost its purpose?
yup thanks for your help. checking it out this morning. i found that my pass. side exhaust is loose because the bracket bolt is broken. anyone know where I can buy this bolt piece?

Last edited by grindin8o8; 09-20-09 at 11:57 AM.