Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Living Up to a Name: Suspension Guru's Enter

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 02:09 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Living Up to a Name: Suspension Guru's Enter

With my new job I can now afford to start taking my car out to the track and get sideways a few weekends a month. I'm starting to collect a list of parts to redo my suspension entirely. I would love if someone would give me pointers on what I should or should not buy. My list is as follows.
  1. PoweredByMax or Stance GR+ Coilovers
  2. Battle Version Toe and Traction links
  3. Prothane bushing's for the fron and rear
  4. Steering Rack Bushing, what brand?
  5. Titan Motorsports Solid Subframe, Diff, and Ear mounts
  6. Super Now Super Cutting Tie Rod End
  7. OS Giken 1.5 Way Super Lock LSD Spec-S

I know it seems like over kill but I plan on drifting the car and doing some road course driving also. Any input would be appreciated especially from Biggu and 5spd_jzz30. Anyone else who is a super suspension guru please chime in.
Old 09-29-09, 11:23 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget number 6, waste of money. You can just add inner tie rod spacers and that would do the same thing for a lot less money or mod the spindles and get way more angle. I have #2 and #4 in stock and should have #5 in a few weeks.

I'm not a fan of the poweredby max stuff so if you had only those 2 coil overs to choose from, get the stance. Im not much of a fan of stance ether.
Old 09-29-09, 11:58 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex what is you issue with the PBM coilovers?

They seem to be one of the best set ups out there versus say HKS, Stance and Apexi. I'm just curious as to if you know some super secret insider knowledge i didn't because i was getting ready to order the PBM coilovers
Old 09-29-09, 01:28 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^i was wondering the same. i was going to swap out my Flex for some Stance.
hope this isn't a thread jack...i guess it's not since OP wants to know why or why not he should buy as well.
Old 09-29-09, 01:37 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

this is what i would get:

1. stances

unless your suspension bushings are shot you dont really need them at first.

for more angle just get your spindles modified by alex. its the cheapest and most efficient way to go.

save your money on the titan stuff. it is overpriced. you can get diff mounts from PBM.

the money you save not buying the bushings or the titan parts i would invest into a quality seat. you wouldnt believe how much of a difference it makes.
Old 09-30-09, 08:24 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

I am also very interested in what coilovers you would suggest Alex. I looked over other brands and they are either too soft or over priced for what I'm looking for. If my memory serves me correct you run the Apexi iSports right. how do those compare to PBM and Stance? I have a lot of shimmy in my car from left to right as well as a lot of play in my steering wheel. So I'll probably replace all of my bushings anyway as long as my balljoints aren't garbage.

Now the question about seat. I'm some what of a big dude. I'm a 6'3" 275 Lbs. ex-football player. I have a pretty good deal lined up on some Bride's but what else would you guys suggest?
Old 09-30-09, 08:46 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

^^^^do it
Old 09-30-09, 10:00 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a bride seat may be too small for you. I would suggest sparco, they have the wide style seats and they have thicker foam, so it kinda forms to you after a little bit.

On my car I have the RSR I-shocks, not their regular newer line but the old school coilovers that are 2 way adjustable and retail for something like $4500. They were hard to get, took like 6 months. I daily drove them on my old car.

For me, I dont like many of the suspension brands out there. If you look at them, all of them use the same peices from the same places. They are just different colors with someone elses name on it. And for the most part all the shocks are crappy and are not really tuned for the car your buying it for. Like many of the companies use the same shock settings for all thier aplications. They think that just cause they put a 32way adjuster on there, it will be enough for any spring rate and any car. So the shocks your buying for your sc300 are the same if you bought them for a s13, rsx, sk2, evo, whatever, you get the point. To most people, stiffer is better.

For a track car I would personally not buy any brand coil over that I cant send back to the manufacture and have rebuilt or revalved. In our import marketplace there are not many good shock companies.
Old 09-30-09, 09:11 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

I heard you on that Alex. I've sat in a few Sparco's over the years and have never really liked them. Although I was sitting in reclinables. Most sanctioning bodies only allow fixed seats correct?
Old 09-30-09, 11:53 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

i totally i agree with alex as far as coilovers. i was going to put a very similar reply but most people would want to hear that.

if you want some quality coilovers at a very decent price look into KW. they have a 3-way adjustable system for a mk4 supra. RobiSpec also offers custom valving service for them. Look on supraforums for more info.

i have driven sti and evo on different setups and KW is by far the best i have experienced so far. they felt amazing on the evo.

KW also runs very soft spring rates. nothing compared to stance, zeal, or hks. they pretty much let the damper control the car instead of the spring.

i like my stances for what they are. i paid 950 for them a year ago. its a decent price and i have no complaints for daily driving and drifting but for a more serious car i would look into KW.

another option is custom built Koni dampers from True Choice Motorsports. Philip Harris is one of the guys in charge over there and knows so much. they can build a damper for just about any application.

he just built a custom set of dampers for my boss' 1966 Saab Monte Carlo 850 that we were gonna take to Bonneville salt flats. for a set of all aluminum, double adjustable, shock dyno tested dampers he charged 2500.

i dont see a supra setup being more then 3000 range. they are also fully rebuildable.
Old 10-05-09, 02:58 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

you can expand your choices to any MK4 supra suspension as well, do you have much experience with aftermarket suspension setups, or are you just looking for higher spec stuff?
Old 10-06-09, 01:16 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

I have had plenty of experience with aftermarket suspensions. I've been building cars since I was 16 and this will be my 3rd SC that I've built. I'm gearing towards a performance driven vehicle with good looks coming second.
Old 10-06-09, 07:17 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

you could try HKS hipermax or Bilstein PSS9/10, I've had very good experiences with both of them. ZEAL is not bad also, but is rough without tender springs.

Tein seems underdamped for my tastes, KW's get very good reviews from my friends (sw20 and E46 use), But seem factory set a bit LOW on the ride height.