Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension fixes and facts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 02:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sort of like what this guy is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBzPrHO4QQ
Old 09-14-11, 03:16 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the shop checked runout of all 4...And not a dealer, a tuning shop.
Old 09-14-11, 03:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
the shop checked runout of all 4...And not a dealer, a tuning shop.
Did they check runout when the rims were mounted on the car or the machine? Check them on the car.
Old 09-14-11, 03:26 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

rims were on the car..I saw them do it. Also since shaking in front and rear, it would have to be all 4 of them boned. Highly unlikely

Originally Posted by Och
Did they check runout when the rims were mounted on the car or the machine? Check them on the car.
Old 09-16-11, 04:29 PM
Mikesgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pizdets17 that sucks. I don't know if this would help or if you looked at them already but have you checked your engine mounts?
Old 09-16-11, 10:21 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

I thought about that but the would not cause the rear to shake...Also with spacers off it gets better but not by much..

Originally Posted by Mikesgs3
pizdets17 that sucks. I don't know if this would help

or if you looked at them already but have you checked your engine mounts?
Old 09-16-11, 10:59 PM
Mikesgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah man I wish you luck! When you find out post it up. I have my own issues I'm trying to figure out with mine. starts shaking at 57 mph and gets worse as I go up. I'm gonna do the 03-05 arm for my 98 and LBJ along with new shock's n df210's . Skipping the Daizen seems like a hassel to get them. Then I hope all the shakes will go away cause honestly it's pissing me off .
Old 09-17-11, 08:52 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

its something in the car that keeps throwing wheels out of balance. All 4. After a road force balance it gets almost 90% perfect, but two weeks later here it is again.

Originally Posted by Mikesgs3
yeah man I wish you luck! When you find out post it up. I have my own issues I'm trying to figure out with mine. starts shaking at 57 mph and gets worse as I go up. I'm gonna do the 03-05 arm for my 98 and LBJ along with new shock's n df210's . Skipping the Daizen seems like a hassel to get them. Then I hope all the shakes will go away cause honestly it's pissing me off .
Old 09-20-11, 07:06 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Pizdets17, have you considered using dynamic balancing beads in addition to your existing wheel weights? About 4 ounces per wheel is what's recommended for 18-20" wheels. I too have been struggling with front end shake and have replaced a lot of parts and gone to the extreme with road force balancing repeatedly. The balancing beads can't do the entire job on low profile tires such as 65 series and less but hey can fine tune an existing balanced low profile tire. I've got some on order and will experiment with my car. My issues is only with the fronts @ 65+ mph. The vibs come and go so sometimes I have a glassy smooth ride and then the shakes return and the steering wheel vibrates side-to-side until it all subsides again. I'll post after I get my beads installed. One source for the beads is Innovative Balancing.
Old 09-22-11, 10:57 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

let me know for sure. Maybe I need some Indian love beads lmao.
Old 09-28-11, 03:11 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, no love. Four ounces didn't change anything and I'm not adding any more. I'll stick to using them in my motorcycle tires. No detectable difference from before and after with the balancing beads.

My shaking comes and goes slowly in waves and it's entirely in the front. I have to think that it's happening when one wheel's low spot is opposite the other wheel's high spot. Or it's happening when one wheel's heavy spot is opposite the other wheel's light spot. The front end is put into a shaking "resonance" and subsides completely when the two wheels once again randomize their rotation relative to one another. All my shakes get going when the front suspension is at it's resonant frequency around 65 -70 mph. Below that speed all is smooth as butter. Next, I'm going to measure the tire radial and lateral runout of all the tires and put the two best on the front and go for a ride.
Old 10-01-11, 11:22 AM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Front crossmember brace

This may be more of a handling fix.

Removed my piece of crap front lower brace. It was getting close to rusting through in a few spots but still intact. I decided to look at my aftermarket options with a conscious budget in mind. TRD, Carbing etc were just too much as I didn't think this mod would make much of a difference.

So, I found this on the 'bay. It's a TopSpeed Pro-1. Looks to be very close to the Carbing design. Oval tubes, painted white, same mounting. Easily clears the cat'. I was impressed with the design and paint. The welding could have been better but for $80, I was willing to take the risk.

The iphone photos suck, but you get the idea. Six bolts. Use plenty of PB blaster on the nuts & bolts. These will snap, trust me!

After a couple hours in the saddle, I can absolutely feel the difference. Tightened up my front end, less steering wheel movement, feels more planted, and you can feel the increased flatness in turning at all speeds. I was impressed! In addition, it seems to have 'reduced' some wheel vibration at the 60-70mph zone.

I have done alot of work on the '00 GS suspension:

Coilovers, outer tie rods, lower ball joints, lower control arm #2 (caster arms) RF Balance. Daizen swaybar & steering rack bushings.

The RF balance and this front brace are the two mods I clearly noticed that contributed to reducing my wobble.. I'm sure all the other mods helped as well.

I have TRD sways that just arrived today. Looking forward to installing them in the next week or so. It's been a long time coming! Finally pulled the trigger and ordered them.
Old 10-02-11, 01:31 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

this has nothing to do with this thread...
Old 10-02-11, 01:34 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pizdets17
this has nothing to do with this thread...
I guess you didn't read the post then. I too had vibration issues. Where's the non-relevancy?

Have you changed out your crossmember brace yet?
Old 10-03-11, 08:55 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

It has nothing to do with vibration at all just handling. My car has 60k miles and my brace is like new.

QUOTE=gman44116;6721848]I guess you didn't read the post then. I too had vibration issues. Where's the non-relevancy?

Have you changed out your crossmember brace yet?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: front suspension fixes and facts