Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension fixes and facts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 12:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
lets say that does work. Do i just drive around with ugly rims forever? Whats to say that a new set of Work's won't do the same as my 3gs, 2gs, and Kaotiks did?
and yes they do go out of balance after about 4 weeks. Been through about a dozen rf balances...
Well, there you go. If they are getting out of balance that means that there is something wrong with either the rims or the tires... not the car!

Im not saying you should be driving on ugly rims. You can just buy those rim and get a set of snow tires for them - they will probably prove useful in Canada. And like I was saying, these rims are very reliable, and its a good way to start diagnosing your car. If you get a set of those wheels, and get them balanced, and your car rides smooth on them, then you know 100% that there is nothing wrong with your car. If your car passes this test, then you can start working on a set of proper summer wheels.

What I recommend is getting a set of brand new OEM rims. Not used, not remanufactured, not replica, but brand new OEM rims. You can get 17" or 18" IS/GS take-offs for a reasonable price. Then get a good set of tires, and make sure the tire size is well matched to the rim width. Don't get tires that are too wide or too narrow, get what Lexus recommends for that wheel size - this way they will get seated properly.

Then bring them to the balancing shop, and watch them do RF balance. If any of the tires exceeds 25lb roadforce, have the tire replaced. I recommend ordering tires from tirerack, b/c they will replace tire for you for free, and include free shipping if you call them and tell them the tire does not balance properly. Make sure the tire shop measures roadforce and balance several times - every time they add a weight, let them check roadforce, and recheck balance after every roadforce. Once everything checks out, your car should be smooth as glass.

Also, if the tire exceeds 25lbs roadforce on the first try, and needs to be rim matched and reseated to get under 25lbs, chances are the tire or the rim are defective, and problems will come back as you drive. Thats probably whats happening with your current wheels.

As far as aftermarket rims, I just don't recommend them. I know some of them look really great, but way too many potential issues with them. Just stay with OEM. Sell your aftermarket rims on ebay, you'll probably get more than enough money back to purchase a set of brand new OEMs.

One more thing... I can't stress enough about not buying used 2-3gs rims. They are made out of really soft alloy, I've bent a lot of them on NYC roads. Invest in a brand new set.

And lastly, I just want to tell you that once you cure your vibrations you will fall in love with your car again. Trust me, I've suffered from the damn vibrations myself for a long time, and when I finally cured them it was like getting a brand new car - the difference is day and night. Now my car is completely vibrations free, theres not even a hint of vibrations - it just glides orgasmicly smooth. So start by finding a poor soul that will buy off your stock of no good wheels. Invest in the 1st gen 16" w/ winter tires and drive on them for the winter to see how things work. You'll thank me in the spring
Old 10-08-11, 10:32 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't even buy steel wheels in Canada for $100 lol. We get raped on everything 3 fold. I would just put that money towards actual wheels if I knew 100% that was the issue...
Old 10-09-11, 08:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

You can't even buy steel wheels in Canada for $100 lol. We get raped on everything 3 fold. I would just put that money towards actual wheels if I knew 100% that was the issue...
You cant find anything at a junk yard?
Old 10-09-11, 10:41 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

no lexus at junk yards here my friend lol.

Originally Posted by Och
You cant find anything at a junk yard?
Old 10-09-11, 11:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

no lexus at junk yards here my friend lol.
No old LS400's?!
Old 10-09-11, 03:31 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

nope, not ones you can salvage anything off

Originally Posted by Och
No old LS400's?!
Old 10-09-11, 06:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

In case you bought your tires from tirerack, you can call them and tell them Hunter 9700 machine shows them to be out of round (excessive measured roadforce) and they will replace them for free with free shipping.
Old 10-09-11, 06:33 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

no I didn't. Tire rack charges $300 to ship to canada. I can buy cheaper locally.

Originally Posted by Och
In case you bought your tires from tirerack, you can call them and tell them Hunter 9700 machine shows them to be out of round (excessive measured roadforce) and they will replace them for free with free shipping.
Old 10-09-11, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Damn. Move to a proper country man

With that being said, when the last time you took your tires to be re-balanced, were they just out of balance, or did they have excessive roadforce as well?
Old 10-09-11, 06:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkThA3x_uU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KvRft422G4
Old 10-10-11, 01:32 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrzingh
I had my lower ball joints replaced and also swapped out the old caster arms for the newer (03-05) design.
Oh! or Doh!

Folks,
I just replaced the caster arms on my 98 with new ones, should I look for the 03-05??
Old 10-10-11, 09:34 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

just out of balance. I get free healthcare, I'm staying here lol

Originally Posted by Och

With that being said, when the last time you took your tires to be re-balanced, were they just out of balance, or did they have excessive roadforce as well?
Old 10-11-11, 10:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
I just replaced the caster arms on my 98 with new ones, should I look for the 03-05??
look for the 2001+ but if u buy them from sewell i think they sub them all for the newer arms like the do for the LBJ's
Old 10-11-11, 10:44 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
look for the 2001+ but if u buy them from sewell i think they sub them all for the newer arms like the do for the LBJ's
ogeez, I have 1998 LBJ replacements, should I have gotten the later model year LBJ's as well??
Old 10-15-11, 08:07 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

no I didn't. Tire rack charges $300 to ship to canada. I can buy cheaper locally.
Originally Posted by Och
just out of balance. I get free healthcare, I'm staying here lol
1010tires is in canada and they seem to be a great company to deal with from what I've seen on other forums, similar in customer service and warranty coverage to tirerack and discount tire here.

Quick Reply: front suspension fixes and facts