Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension fixes and facts

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 07:06 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by skperformance
The GS has no caster adjustment anyone who said they worked on it is lying to you . The only way to get it in spec is to have a working bushing . Once it is dead ,it out out of spec and replacement is the only fix.

It runs from the lower control arm backwards to under the firewall.
Is that lone bushing that is at the back end of it all by the catalytic converter? in other words at the end of the bar that runs from (front) under the bottom of strut and curves its way back over tie rod/steer rack, back to the corner in front of cat and sits on a black somewhat triangle shaped plate?

I am speaking psgr side of car
Old 11-11-11, 07:02 AM
gtmax
Driver

pizdets17, why don't you just sell the car at this point? You've been at this for a while and sound very frustrated. Why not get rid of it altogether.
Old 11-18-11, 11:32 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

tried that too but its tough to sell a car that test drives like its got a flat at 80km/h. Even though its all brand new underneath nobody wants a car that shakes "just because".

Originally Posted by gtmax
pizdets17, why don't you just sell the car at this point? You've been at this for a while and sound very frustrated. Why not get rid of it altogether.
Old 12-21-11, 07:32 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Hey everyone, instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just post here. I have a GS300 with 110,000 or so miles on the odometer.

I recently got my GS serviced (September) and they said that the suspension looked fine. They did a full inspection. Well, everything seemed fine until the last couple days when I would either be stopped or driving slowly and turning the wheel. When I would turn the wheel this HORRIBLE creaking/clunking noise comes about. It sounds just like the terrible noises in these videos:

http://youtu.be/IxtMFp6za-I
http://youtu.be/V8R54Me4oLM

The mechanic said my ball-joints looked fine when they inspected it. What should I do? Bring it back and tell them to look at the suspension again? Or is this something that someone can put a finger on right now, or at least lead me down the right track?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-11, 08:56 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Your ball joints can "look" fine but be on the verge of catastrophic failure. I'd replace them now. My first replacement looked good until I removed the boot/cover. Metal shavings everywhere!! Didn't move freely at all.

They're cheap. You'll sleep better if nOthing else, even if it doesn't fix your problem. I bet they will.
Old 12-21-11, 09:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Change ball joints and inspect the LCA and UCA for looseness.
Old 12-21-11, 10:27 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I'll bring it to the mechanic asap to have these things done.
Old 03-01-12, 09:56 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anybody tried balancing the tire on the car? I remember my dad having this done many years ago. This would balance the tire and the hub as a unit since it was balanced on the car
Old 03-01-12, 10:03 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I am talking about

http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp
Old 03-07-12, 06:01 PM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Any fixes for this?

Has anyone had this problem? And does this mean its time to install those polyurethane bushings on Control Arm No.2? Or could it be something else? I really need to narrow this down instead of buying random parts and hoping it would solve it *facepalm*

Thanks

Car - 1998 Lexus GS400 213xxxKMS

HERES THE VIDEOS
You'll hear the sound consistently

Part 1
http://youtu.be/wjIkXKW4isQ
Part 2
http://youtu.be/_35mLzWeGS0
Old 10-28-12, 02:01 PM
nismofreak
Driver School Candidate

soo......if ones suspension creaks HEAVILY with the slightest turns of the wheel at no to low speed, is that rack and pinion bushings? only reason I ask is now that I even barely touch the wheel at a stop or turning at any speed, it creaks louder than hell and can be heard clearly from the drivers side front. There is no clunking of any sort, just straight CRRRREAAAAKKKKKINNNGG. Sometimes in traffic....i'll make beats out of it since I know everyone is looking at me anyways.....

Parts order but not installed:

Moog LBJ's
MOOG outer/inner tie rods
Dorman UCA's

Parts i'm going to order on the 1st from sewell:

Steering rack bushing set (or go daizen????)
Front trailing arm bushings
Old 10-30-12, 12:04 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nismofreak
soo......if ones suspension creaks HEAVILY with the slightest turns of the wheel at no to low speed, is that rack and pinion bushings? only reason I ask is now that I even barely touch the wheel at a stop or turning at any speed, it creaks louder than hell and can be heard clearly from the drivers side front. There is no clunking of any sort, just straight CRRRREAAAAKKKKKINNNGG. Sometimes in traffic....i'll make beats out of it since I know everyone is looking at me anyways.....

Moog LBJ's
Dorman UCA's

The rack bushings won't hurt, but they are not responsible for you creaking.
Old 10-30-12, 03:29 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nismofreak

Moog LBJ's
Dorman UCA's

Do you have poly sway bar bushings? if so it is likely you need to regrease them.
Old 10-30-12, 05:12 PM
nismofreak
Driver School Candidate

Rubbed super white lithium grease on all the bushings. And no, I have stock bushings
Old 11-04-12, 03:54 AM
solowlex
Pole Position

Thanks for all the info on these...i will be ordering them very soon and installing them in couple months when i get back to the states from med school! very excited to see how stiff the front end will be compared to what it is now. for me, the stiffer the better because i ride 2" off the ground and this will help in anyway possible.
So, BIG THANKS!!!!

Quick Reply: front suspension fixes and facts