Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

NEW TSB: Noise with F-sport Springs!! Released 10-14-09

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 08:56 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzaikun
I just had both of my rear F-sport springs replaced with the updated ones.

First of all, after the replacement, I noticed that it sits a tad bit higher in the rear than before, probably because the springs need to settle still. Hopefully it settles at least to the previous height, without the clunk/click noise.

Afterwards, I performed a road test. I didn't have the tech road test it because I took my car right after it was done heh. I drove over dips, into park lots, bumps, and the usual spots where I normally heard the noise previously, and fortunately I did not hear any more clunk/clicks from the rear. I don't remember how long the repair took because I was working anyways, but I'd say it may be about 2-3 hours.

I'll see what happens when I take my co-workers out to lunch and see if they notice anymore clicks/clunks that they heard previously.
That was quick. so the dealer had the new springs in stock? btw, the springs are not supposed to settle if they install them correctly. When I got mine done the springs were on the same height, never got lowered from day one. I think they redesigned the springs so they sit higher? The noise comes from the dead coils. I'm not sure I'll like the higher stance for the back wheels.
Old 10-21-09, 10:47 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had both of my rear F-sport springs replaced with the updated ones.

First of all, after the replacement, I noticed that it sits a tad bit higher in the rear than before, probably because the springs need to settle still. Hopefully it settles at least to the previous height, without the clunk/click noise.

Afterwards, I performed a road test. I didn't have the tech road test it because I took my car right after it was done heh. I drove over dips, into park lots, bumps, and the usual spots where I normally heard the noise previously, and fortunately I did not hear any more clunk/clicks from the rear. I don't remember how long the repair took because I was working anyways, but I'd say it may be about 2-3 hours.

I'll see what happens when I take my co-workers out to lunch and see if they notice anymore clicks/clunks that they heard previously.
yeah please keep us posted on the clunks and the ride height.
Old 10-21-09, 11:25 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
I bought my Springs from Sewell .. ? will i get it ?
I was wondering the same.
Old 10-21-09, 01:33 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
That was quick. so the dealer had the new springs in stock? btw, the springs are not supposed to settle if they install them correctly. When I got mine done the springs were on the same height, never got lowered from day one. I think they redesigned the springs so they sit higher? The noise comes from the dead coils. I'm not sure I'll like the higher stance for the back wheels.
if the springs don't sit lower later on lol.
I had them order it after they verified the noise, and it came the next day. Just make sure to go in and have it verified, and have them order it before their cut off time for ordering parts(if it is not in stock), and it should come in the next day. I should've taken a picture of both sets of rear springs while I had them together.
Old 10-21-09, 02:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tzaikun - Thanks for bringing us the facts and TSIB, you are better than any of the SA's the posters have dealt with so far.

I assume your car is lower than stock, Lexus F-Sports are advertised as a mild drop of only 1.0"/0.8" front/rear, so eyeballing differences with clunking springs versus non-clunking springs is not a precision thing.
Old 10-21-09, 08:37 PM
09white250
Driver School Candidate

guys from openroad lexus told me inorder for them to honor the warranty, you will have to purchase the springs AND have the dealer to install it. Thats the only way they know there is a defect on the springs. Dealers can only claim warranty with Lexus on parts/service sold by them, if you got your springs else where, then there is nothing they can do, thats what the service guy from openroad lexus said to me when I called them today about this TSB.

Originally Posted by panda327
I bought my Springs from Sewell .. ? will i get it ?
Old 10-21-09, 10:00 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 09white250
guys from openroad lexus told me inorder for them to honor the warranty, you will have to purchase the springs AND have the dealer to install it. Thats the only way they know there is a defect on the springs. Dealers can only claim warranty with Lexus on parts/service sold by them, if you got your springs else where, then there is nothing they can do, thats what the service guy from openroad lexus said to me when I called them today about this TSB.
Wait ... sewell is a lexus dealer. When I was shopping for a F-Sport intake, my dealer said long as it was purchased from a lexus dealer, it still carries the one year warranty on the part.

If it was purchased and installed by the dealer, it carries the remaining bumper to bumper warranty on your car. (so it goes out of warranty when your car does) .

So if you bought your ntake from sewell within the last year, you should be ok. You just need to show them you reciept from sewell lexus if they ask.

**note - this is just what my dealer told me ... others may have a different policy .. but as far as i know, this applies to all lexus dealers nationwide.
Old 10-22-09, 12:59 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 09white250
I'm hearing otherwise. If a Lexus part is defective, it warrants replacing regardless of whether a shop or dealership installed it. I had an independent shop install my springs and I found a dealer who will do the replacement (took some calling around). The only catch- the dealer has to be the same place who sold the springs. Kind of inconvenient, but still worthwhile.
Old 10-22-09, 08:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

TSIB warranty info.
"F-Sport Performance Parts purchased over-the-counter are covered for 12 months from the date of purchase." I would assume over-the-counter means any placed springs were purchased? It didn't say Lexus dealers only.
Old 10-22-09, 09:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

if the springs don't sit lower later on lol.
I had them order it after they verified the noise, and it came the next day. Just make sure to go in and have it verified, and have them order it before their cut off time for ordering parts(if it is not in stock), and it should come in the next day. I should've taken a picture of both sets of rear springs while I had them together.
Could you take some close up pictures of the deadcoils? Do you see the deadcoils completely touching each other when parked? i think they just make the springs a little higher to add more gap between the coils. Otherwise what else can they change?
Old 10-22-09, 11:28 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dojoman
Could you take some close up pictures of the deadcoils? Do you see the deadcoils completely touching each other when parked? i think they just make the springs a little higher to add more gap between the coils. Otherwise what else can they change?
Yeah, I can do that. Would it help if I had it up on the lift?
Old 10-22-09, 11:46 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Tzaikun - Thanks for bringing us the facts and TSIB, you are better than any of the SA's the posters have dealt with so far.

I assume your car is lower than stock, Lexus F-Sports are advertised as a mild drop of only 1.0"/0.8" front/rear, so eyeballing differences with clunking springs versus non-clunking springs is not a precision thing.
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Yeah it's lower than stock, the stance looks good from far away. So far the noise from the rear is still gone so I'm happy about that.
Old 10-22-09, 12:29 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Yeah, I can do that. Would it help if I had it up on the lift?
No lift needed. The dead coils are touching completely when I looked at my car parked. Not sure if they changed that to reduce noise.
Old 10-22-09, 01:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Just curious, if the dead coils are always touching (even when parked), how have people been sliding the sleeves on?
Old 10-22-09, 01:22 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Just curious, if the dead coils are always touching (even when parked), how have people been sliding the sleeves on?
You need to lift the car up in order to put on the sleeves.

Quick Reply: NEW TSB: Noise with F-sport Springs!! Released 10-14-09