Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just installed L-Tuned Steering ECU. Difference??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-02, 09:24 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my ECU today. The PN on the bag it came in has a 5 digit prefix added to the PN I saw molded into the ECU plastic itself. Bag PN is 00644-89650-001. This is a logical way for Lexus to control their inventory, but once the unit is out of the bag, there may not be a way to tell the difference. If true, I'd still consider that bad practice on the part of the L-Tuned group and they'd deserve a good slap on the wrist for it.

It appears that the only difference between the stock and L-tuned ECU is the program downloaded to the ECU chip, but visually the parts are physically identical. With that in mind, the part number molded into the plastic is most likely used to identify ONLY the "physical" ECU part itself. That's reasonable, but the software version programmed into the unit should also be marked somewhere that is visually apparent. Any kind of marking would do, a PN an "x", anything.

I haven't taken out the old ECU to figure this out myself, but I do see a couple of numbers/letters printed on the plastic in green and white ink. Could this be the way to identify the SW version?

The white ink stamp shows "23". The green ink is in three rows : row 1 is"11B" (only guessing, not legible), row 2 is"14", row 3 is "A54". They were located on the back side of the brown plastic, where the molded PN is on the opposite side.

I'll check this myself this weekend, but if someone beats me to it, please verify what the "stock" ECU" has in the way of these markings.
Old 05-02-02, 09:07 PM
RMMGS4

Default . . . there it is !

OK , I just swapped out my ECU for the L-Tuned. The "Stock " ECU has different markings stamped than the L-Tuned. The numbers/letters on my stock ECU say the following:

row 1 is"6T" (again only guessing, not legible), row 2 is"9", row 3 is "A78".

There's no telling which row indicates the software version, maybe all or only part of it, but unless I'm proven wrong, THIS IS IT. If the ECU software has gone through any updates, then the numbers will likely change as well, but probably differ by a small increment. Example :Windows 95 to Windows 2000

I won't be able to prove out these observations any further unless we get some of you guys to pull your ECU's and report the numbers.

Someone with a GS430 should also be able to verify ONCE AND FOR ALL if the stock ECU is the same as the L-Tuned.

bad-gs400,
I think this answers your question on "distinctive markings" .
So compare your two ECU's to what I have reported. If you already had L-tuned installed, this should hopefully verify it.

Glen
Old 05-03-02, 06:03 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original ECU has a blue case, And my L-tuned ECU has a orange case. What colour is your case?.
Old 05-03-02, 06:29 PM
shftup
Intermediate

me too, the stock is blue..
Old 05-03-02, 06:59 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my L-tuned steering ECU from Steve Ganz and will install it tomorrow and will let you guys know what I'm feelin. I do have full suspension work with 19s so I wonder what kinda effect installin this thing will really have.
Old 05-03-02, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally posted by navaz
My original ECU has a blue case, And my L-tuned ECU has a orange case. What colour is your case?.
My factory and L-Tuned ECUs were identical in looks. Brown case with blue connector part.

The box the L-Tuned ECU came in says:

L-Tuned

Part # 00644-89650-001

Description: ECU, Steering, GS

I don't have the L-Tuned one in hand (it's in the car) but I remember looking at it and the factory one side by side and they seemed identical.

On my factory one it says:

POWER STEERING
TOYOTA
89650-30570
078300-0982
12V
DENSO
MADE IN JAPAN

On the other side there's some faint painted on letters:

(Best I can see...)

10U
A56
Old 05-03-02, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MRGS400nSoCali
I got my L-tuned steering ECU from Steve Ganz and will install it tomorrow and will let you guys know what I'm feelin. I do have full suspension work with 19s so I wonder what kinda effect installin this thing will really have.
Get the L-Tuned numbers before installing it!
Old 05-03-02, 08:24 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

My factory and L-Tuned ECUs were also identical. Brown case with blue connector part.

L-Tuned
Part # 00644-89650-001

Do you guys disconnect your battery before installing the L-Tuned ecu? Would this make a difference?
Old 05-03-02, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bad-gs400
My factory and L-Tuned ECUs were also identical. Brown case with blue connector part.

L-Tuned
Part # 00644-89650-001

Do you guys disconnect your battery before installing the L-Tuned ecu? Would this make a difference?
I didn't. Not sure why you'd need to.
Old 05-03-02, 09:09 PM
RMMGS4

bad-gs400,

can you look for the faint lettering on the back side of the ECU and report what you see? It's ink stamped on the surface, not molded into the plastic. It's possible to the numbers could get rubbed off, but please check if there's any sign of something there.

Guys,
It's interesting to note you have different color plastic, but those numbers on the back are the real clues.

If everyone can report the same info that Bitkahuna did, we might be able to make some kinda conclusion.

Bit's numbers were completely different than what I reported. Don't know what that means at this point.

We need more data to figure this out.

Glen
Old 05-04-02, 07:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I first got my ECU, I was really concerned too that the two parts looked identical: brown case w/ blue connector.

The molded information for my stock is the same as Bit's. As for the imprinting, as far as I can tell it is:

11S
A93

My L-Tuned one is in the car and I'd have to pull it to get the data. I don't know about the imprinted part but I seem to remember remarking that the molded info is exactly the same. I quickly used touchup paint to paint an L on the L-Tuned one so I would not get confused.

In earlier threads, others warned of the potential confusion too so I was expecting this. Now with the differences others are seeing, I am not so sure. When I first put the ECU in, I took it out and did notice a difference, especially on the freeway. Maybe I am used to it now but the steering seems loose to me again and find myself wishing that it was even tighter.
Old 05-19-02, 11:23 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been following CL for awhile and find alot of interesting info that is useful. Now I just bought LTune ECU and remembered reading this thread. Install took only about 15 minutes, with an instruction sheet that came with the part. Only 2 screws, one clip and one bolt to remove to get to the ECU. Relatively easy for someone who hasn't worked on cars for a few years.

Now back to the subject matter, which made me go back to this thread: is there any definitive marking on the new LTune vs original? After installing the new ECU, I didn't find a real difference in the steering feel. Perhaps because I paid $130 I "wanted" to feel a difference. Perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't. Drove on the freeway at 80+ mph, and some windy local roads, but still????

Same info. on package and molded part numbers as Bit. listed. Same color (brown case with blue connector). Only difference is the inked printing on the flat side. Original ECU- 1sr line 2T; 2nd line 7; 3rd line A78. LTune ECU- 1st line 13C; 2nd line 23; 3rd A66.

Not sure how to tell, especially if there isn't a tangible feel without doing an A/B switch back to back. Not sure if I wasted my money. Next upgade will be the LTune springs and shocks, although I'm not too keen on lowering the car since I worry about bottoming out on those driveways (including mine).

BTW, great site with some great people on this board.

Art
Old 05-26-02, 01:12 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this topic has been beaten in the head 30 million times, but what is true benefit of getting the Steering ECU? To make the steering tighter??
Well, maybe if you have a car closer to stock form..
I have Upgrade Suspension with Eiabachs and KYB Struts with 19's on the car, and my car rides tight- alot tighter that the stock with 17's on regular suspension..
I couldn't imagine the car being any tighter..
Can anyone vouch how their car changed with similiar upgrades like my setup???

Thanks,
QWK
Old 05-26-02, 11:03 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

QWK:

The steering ECU makes suttle differences. At low speeds it doesn't feel much different that stock. At high speeds, it seems to give more feedback to the wheel thus making the car more responsive. Since it controls the power steering pump, I can assume it backs down the pressure at high speeds making the car feel more like manual steering. As for turning radius, it does nothing. I don't think it is possible to change that electronically.
Old 05-27-02, 12:46 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad-gs400 Ill take that L-tuned for a good price

Quick Reply: Just installed L-Tuned Steering ECU. Difference??