Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just installed L-Tuned Steering ECU. Difference??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 04:48 AM
bad-gs400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its for sale. How much will you offer?
Old 05-27-02, 10:11 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bad-gs400
I think the previous owner had the L-Tuned already installed, since the ECU bolt looked like it had been removed/worked on. There is absolutely no difference in steering. I'm running 18's and I have driven the car about 200 miles with the L-Tuned ECU and also had a friend drive it, with the same conclusion. No extra tightness, less-slack feel or no-dead spot remedy. There really was never a dead spot to begin with, either. Since there is no difference, I might throw the original back in and end up selling the new L-Tuned. Any buyers??
I'll buy it.
Old 05-27-02, 12:34 PM
bad-gs400
Driver

I paid a total of $139.64 (s/h included). I've had it about 2 months. Make me an offer.
Old 06-13-02, 10:59 PM
roenick7
Driver

Question

Just got my s-ecu from steve @ toyota #'s are the exact same 89650-30570
078300-0982?????????? on case.
same with you guys??

l-tuned liturature sent with it.

thanks
Old 06-14-02, 10:14 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Please report the # stamped on your Stock & L-Tuned, forget about the molded in PN

What #s are printed on the other side of the case? They are printed on with an ink stamp, not molded into the plastic.

Based on my electronics manufacturing background, my best guess is that the part numbers molded into the plastic represent ONLY the part number for the hardware, ONLY. If the difference between the L-Tuned and stock ECUs is only in the software programmed into them, then it would make sense for the molded in PN's being all the same.

The software programmed into the ECU would then need to be signified in some other way: anything from placing a Blue or Red Dot to a label saying "Software version 12N HA6" could be used to identify this.

There's no obligation for the manufacturer to make this easily identifiable to the layperson and Toyota manufacturing apparently didn't label this part to be consumer friendly.

My best guess is that the numbers/letters printed on the back are possibly date codes, software version or something cryptic that the factory uses to identify what was programmed in.

From the information I gathered on this thread so far, these "stamped on" numbers have been reported in several different combinations and so far no correlation as to what they could mean or how they could be used.

At this point, we would need to gather more data in order for us us to try and make any further conclusions. We'd need more CL members to report on these numbers, both their stock and L-Tuned.

If there is anyone out there connected to Toyota manufacturing that could help us decipher what these "stamped on" numbers mean, we could possibly get to the bottom of this.

In any case, these stamped on numbers are our only obvious clue to verifying if there "really" is more than just one version of the steering ECU.

Note that I am not trying to prove that you "can tell" the difference between the ECU's, I'm only trying to verify that there is more than one version available and also help everyone identify what ECU version they really have.

I'm not accusing any CL members of doing this, but it would be very easy to take your old stock ECU and put it in the L-Tuned labeled part bag, then sell to someone else.

Buyer beware.
Old 06-14-02, 04:26 PM
roenick7
Driver

Smile

I installed the s-ecu last night, and drove the car today. Instant change much stiffer. Took it for a 300 mile spin today at high speed, Nice very Nice:0

#'s molded on case mean nothing of what chip is inside.
Old 06-14-02, 05:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Did you feel a significant change in the steering? When I changed out my ECU, I didn't feel a substantial change in the feel of the steering .

I think I need a back to back test drive with and without the new ECU. I have a friend with a stock GS300, so I'll try to do a back to back comparison soon. Although I'm not too sure whether using a GS300 and GS400 are comparable for testing steering.

Perhaps the dealer gave me a swapped out ECU that someone returned since he 'just happened to have one in stock' when normally all L-Tuned parts have to be special ordered. I wish the change was more significant so I can be more certain that the new ECU does show significant road feel, which would satisfy my concern
Old 06-14-02, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

roenick - glad you noticed it. It shouldn't be hard to detect Arty101. Where did you get your L-Tuned ECU? If from an individual, they may have sold you a regular ECU!
Old 06-15-02, 10:43 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bit.-

I bought the L-tuned ECU from my dealer. Parts Dept. happened to have one in stock. The Parts guy was cool about it when I bought it and said he'd take it back if I was not happy with it. Not too shabby. But then again, who's to say someone else didn't do the old switcheroo before me.

I still really can't say if there is a marked difference with the new ECU. I wish there was a definitive way of telling, either by the color or stamping on the ECU. I "think" that the steering is a little bit heavier, both at moderate (under 50) and higher freeway speeds, but that may just wishful thinking, and/or after driving my RX. As mentioned earlier, if there was someone that works for Lexus or knows the coding on the ECU, I sure would sleep better.

Oh well, I ll keep the new ECU and presume it is truly an L-tune part, and my hands are a bit numb or something.
Old 06-16-02, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Arty101 - the L-Tuned ECU is designed to go with the L-Tuned suspension and I think you'd notice more diff. with that.

Another thing you could do is ask to drive a car at the dealer with the stock one to make sure. You should be able to tell doing S type turns around 30mph.
Old 06-16-02, 08:03 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Just received the steering ecu from a fellow CL member late yesterday. I intend to post my findings after I install later today.

Thanks again GhettoGS.
Old 06-16-02, 10:16 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Got finished installing the ecu a little while ago. I can understand from a consumer point of view as to their small perception of change from stock to the aftermarket product.

Initially I could tell that there was a slight difference in steering feedback incompairson to stock. After negotiating some left and right hand turns, i can tell that the steering response is slightly stiffer than previous.

After returning home, I disconnected the negtative battery terminal to see if that would lead to a more significant change. Since it's still disconnected as we apeak, I'll make another post probably later this evening.

Did anyone have any difficulty in getting that 10mm bolt back into place? Whew! My larger size hands make it difficult to return that 19mm bolt to its original place. For now, I just wrapped the steering ecu in some dampning type material till I get to SRT for the more efficient toold and hands.
Old 06-16-02, 12:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

lexlyf - Disconnecting battery won't affect the steering ECU.

roenick7 or lexlyf - did either of you guys write down the inked numbers on the part!?!?!?! We're dying to know!
Old 06-20-02, 05:29 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bit-

Yeah, I think you're right. I'd probably feel the difference more with the L-tuned suspension. I checked with my dealer on the parts and labor. I think I can get the parts at or below Steve Gantz, but the dealer quoted me somewhere around $800 labor (which incl. the ECU, which I have already installed. It took all but 15 minutes while the book shows around 1.1 hours). Now I know that $800 is way too high. Perhaps I need to go to another Service Advisor, although I have a connection to one of the salesman that use to be in Service. I guess I have to wait to connect with that salesman for another price on labor.

Regarding the comparison with another stock GS, would it matter if it was a GS300 even though I have a 400? I would think the feel may be different.

Yes, we all want to know what the markings/stamping on the other ECUs are.

Art
Old 06-21-02, 01:12 PM
BLW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OBD2

Maybe way off base, but could the OBD2 Diagnostic tool or any other computerized diagnostic device tell the software versions of the steering ECU? I called local lexus dealer and asked the same question of a service advisor and he said he would research it (ask a service tech) and get back to me. He must be pretty busy because he put me on hold several times, so doubt I will hear back very soon. Maybe some one here would know or knows a good source to find out.

Quick Reply: Just installed L-Tuned Steering ECU. Difference??