Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My shop's estimate for shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 10:16 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My shop's estimate for shocks and springs

My SC300 needs new shocks and springs, and I have decided on Tokico and Eibach replacements. I asked my preferred car shop to give me an estimate on the work, and this is what they faxed to me:

Strut Replacement Front and Rear, both sides, plus alignment: $639.90. This is labor only, they ask that I buy the parts and supply them for installation. Labor @ $79.00/hour so the labor estimate is about 8 hours.

Does this sound typical? I've had work done by this shop before and they are very good and very honest.

When I talked to them they said that this set would lower the car about 1" (true) and that they could not offer any warranty on any effect that lowering might have on the car, but of course would warranty the installation of the parts themselves.

Also, any suggestions on where to buy the Tokico shocks and the Eibach springs for a good price?

Ral
Old 04-30-02, 04:24 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Hi,

I have never fitted the Tokico/Eibach combination but doubt they are any more difficult than swopping a standard Soarer/Supra spring & shocker.

If it took any more than an 1.5hr per corner I would be very surprised, allow an hour each end for laser alignment if they do it correctly (most dont).
Old 04-30-02, 05:45 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by London Bill
Hi,

allow an hour each end for laser alignment if they do it correctly (most dont).
They do have laser alignment equipment, so they'd probably do that, yes.

Ral
Old 04-30-02, 08:06 PM
quick
Pole Position

If I were doing the work myself (and I'm just a shadetree mechanic) I'd figure 1 hour per corner. (conservatively)

A full thrust alignment by hand on my Supra took three hours by an experienced tech with me b.s.-ing with him the whole time. If I hadn't been there he could have done it in an hour. That cost $95.

In short, you're getting ripped off.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by quick; 05-01-02 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-01-02, 06:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah $79/hr is a RIPOFF... you're not hiring a lawyer here, you're just getting your springs/shocks replaced... its not that hard
Old 05-01-02, 08:15 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's crazy man! i paid only 120 for labor. + 80 for alignment. i guess in so cali, installers are a dime a dozen
Old 05-01-02, 08:17 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Angry

don't forget, they shouldn't charge you for installing your new shocks because when they install the springs, they have to take out the shocks anyhow. dont' get ripped off. it just takes a minute extra to open the new shock and put them in.
Old 05-01-02, 09:34 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

man, too bad these aren't like Hondas. I paid $50 to get springs and shocks swapped out of my Accord, before I figured out that it's not that hard. I can't imagine that it's that much harder on a Lexus...but then again, changing the fog light is a pain...
Old 05-04-02, 09:27 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Sorry fellas,
I'm looking at the job book here and it says both sides of the front is a 4.8 hour job and the back is a 3.6 hour job.

79.00$ an hour is on the high side though.
Old 05-04-02, 09:46 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO, the "book" or "program" that mechanics and body shops use are all BS. It only took my guy to install my shocks/springs in about 2 hours max. body shops always give you an estimate on how long it will take to do the job, but then they always take shortcuts, and you or the insurance company ends up paying a couple of hours extra for no labor!
Old 05-05-02, 12:00 AM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by awj
Sorry fellas,
I'm looking at the job book here and it says both sides of the front is a 4.8 hour job and the back is a 3.6 hour job.

79.00$ an hour is on the high side though.
Bwahahahaha!

Who cares what some frickin' book says.

If I was working fast and had the tools a shop mechanic has I could do each strut in 30 minutes tops.

Talk about saving cash by doing it yourself... man!
Old 05-06-02, 02:30 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

It is amusing but that is what the print said. I was just stating that. I've never done this work - by looking at it, the job seems strait forward. Just a matter of getting a spring compressor. But hell, I really don't think ral is wanting to get down in there and get her hands dirty. Not to mention the frustrations that come with doing the job for the first time.

More power to ya Ral if you are up for the work. Otherwise, look around for better estimates.
Old 05-06-02, 01:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you can rent a spring compressor from DAPs or autozone
Old 05-06-02, 03:11 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by awj
It is amusing but that is what the print said. I was just stating that. I've never done this work - by looking at it, the job seems strait forward. Just a matter of getting a spring compressor. But hell, I really don't think ral is wanting to get down in there and get her hands dirty. Not to mention the frustrations that come with doing the job for the first time.

More power to ya Ral if you are up for the work. Otherwise, look around for better estimates.
Yep. No sweat awj... spring compressor is $50 at Pep Girlz.

Not everyone is inclined to do their own work... I just hope ral can get a better estimate. That's a straight-up ripoff.
Old 05-06-02, 05:28 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I checked some UK tuners for Supra quotes, they average 1hr per corner, 4hrs plus alignment.