Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worried about lowering..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 07:58 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you drop the car you will have to adjust your driving style to accommodate. Slow down for dips, speed bumps, take steep inclines at angles. Its just part of riding low. Fortunately for you, you're already looking to purchase one of the more modest/refined coilovers on the market. Tein CS even maxed out will still leave you with plenty of ground clearance and reasonable ride quality. A friend of mind has CS on his car where as I opted for Stance and there is a noticeable difference, both having good and less good aspects. If you spring for the CS you might as well pick up the EDFC that allows you to adjust some stiffness settings from inside the cabin. As for fender rolling, that will depend a great deal on your wheel sizing (offset, etc). The more aggressive the wheels combined with a lower drop will require fender mods.
Old 11-03-09, 10:07 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suppose he were to just get some supra lowering springs that say 1.5inch drop...thats modest and not doing much to his stock suspension....and its cheaper too than a coilover system
Old 11-03-09, 10:22 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kponti
That is an extremely wrong statement!. Lowering and better handling have nothing to do with each other. Put any coilover setup on the SC and put it at stock ride height, It will handle better!
You are actually wrong. If you stick a set of coilovers on a sc and set it at stock height, the ride will be stiffer alright but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll handle better. The center of gravity is not lowered and therefore, it will not handle as good compared to a lowered center of gravity vehicle. I have a total of 9 yrs. driving sc's. I drove a 92 for 6yrs., a 95 for 2 yrs., and I'm now just starting on a stock 98 sc400 vvti. All of my sc's were lowered in the past. The 92 has been through 3 sets of lowered springs and aftermarket shocks, and 2 sets of coilovers. The 95 has been through 2 sets of coilovers, and now the 98 is about to go with h&r coilvovers next week. Trust me; don't look at my post numbers. Lowering the center of gravity equals better handling.
Old 11-03-09, 10:33 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I will say if you want to lower your car go ahead. I will say 1" or less drop should be fine
If you are going to lower 1" you might as well leave it stock.
Old 11-03-09, 10:51 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great debate guys! Lets keep it going. So far I'm hearing two completely different things..
Old 11-04-09, 08:39 AM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the 'gixxerdrew' setup on 19s and I scrape sometimes but it's not as bad as it sounds. For the most part it's only huge dips and bumps that slow me down. It's worth it, if you're worried about modding AFTER you drop it, get coilovers so you can adjust.
Old 11-04-09, 09:02 AM
Whitehawk
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I am running an SC300, lowered two inches with 20" Momo Storms. I have have had no problems with fitment or scraping. Do have to "crab walk" over some speed bumps. BUT a word of caution: Last Saturday I ran over what I thought was a cardboard box at about twenty miles an hour. It was the corner of a cinder block. It did not clear the undercarriage. It punched a hole in the oil pan. My car is so low I have to use the car jack to lift it high enough to get my floor jack under the cross member. $742 later I am getting it fixed. Car looks fantastic though.
Old 11-06-09, 07:00 AM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an extremely wrong statement!. Lowering and better handling have nothing to do with each other. Put any coilover setup on the SC and put it at stock ride height, It will handle better!. The arms are all at the right geometry at the stock ride height. Why do you think cars that have been lowered tend to have failed suspension parts faster?
Lowering springs do make your car handle marginally better because of the stiffness that is incorporated into it.

Of course this is not a hard and fast rule, there is a range the car can go lowered where the arms are still within a good range geometrically. Then you get to the point where it is just acceptable (which is where most of us are at now lowered), but the stiffer springs and better valved shocks more than make up for jacked up suspension geometry.
I agree . . . from a lot of research, my understanding is that you can lower the car approximately 1 inch and stay within the acceptable camber adjustments you can make when the car is aligned. Tanabe NF210s or Eibach prokits (ones for the SC) with tokico shocks will do that and preserve a good ride quality. SupraTT Eibachs drop a bit more and give you a broader range of shocks (like bilstein). If you "slam" the car, you're going to screw up the suspension geometry, and you're not making the car handle better. Some folks like the look enough to do it anyway . . . hey, it's their car.
Old 11-06-09, 07:59 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I am pretty low and I dont scrape that much. I just avoid speedbumps if possible...
Old 12-02-09, 06:10 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Lower 2" and you still will be within the acceptable camber adjustments. Try and see. I've done this myself so it's not just an "educated" guess.
Old 12-02-09, 07:13 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol

the OP (whom obviously dosen't know jack about lowering springs/spring rates/suspension modding) should just leave his stock suspension, forget lowering his SC4x4 and just simply CALL IT A DAY.

and definitely forget the "TE37"s, and instead opt for some heavy *** 22" Lexani wheels if he so scared of damaging his undercarriage.

Last edited by MIGS; 12-02-09 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 04:13 PM
LAVIsH
Driver

what i going to tell you is very important and i am sorry if its been brought up cuz i didnt want to read every post it is very important if you drop your ride that you move your main wire harness loom as it is located right under the splash guard in your left fender directly above your tire and eventually with a lowered height you will bottom out and rub the harness and cause a major headache! and bookoo problems
Old 12-03-09, 07:28 PM
oneforspaw
Driver

Alright man, here's what i did. I bought the wheels i wanted (obviously checked for offset, tires size, fitment etc.) Then just take a look at your car, if you have too much wheel gap, then lower it just enough so you don't scrape so much. I had 18" wheels and lowered on TEINs and scraped like hell, so I got some 19"s increased the ride height just a bit and I was good. I can get in and out of drive ways by cutting slightly. Every one has different set ups, and not everything works for everyone. Don't be afraid to experiment, if you don't like it lowered just go back to stock, just make sure you get the wheels you want. Ill post some pics of my ride if you want, its nothing too aggressive, especially after my paint job (repainting lips gets expensive after a while)