Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worried about lowering..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 02:20 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worried about lowering..

So I've been wanting to start modding my '99 sc400 for a while. I planned on lowering it on Tein CS and slapping on 18" or 19" x 8.5f 9.5r TE37's (if I can find a good nice fitting staggered used set lol).
Anyways during my research and talking to different mechanics and body guys I've come across some concerns and was hoping you guys could shed some light.
More than one mechanic and body guy have strongly recommended me AGAINST lowering a car cuz 'its just for looks and it completely destroys your undercarriage'. I realize I'll have to avoid rough roads and some speed bumps, but is this a real valid concern? I am BARELY able to get onto my mechanics lift without scraping the front bumper on my stock suspension lol..
Also, I'm a bit worried about the cutting/shaving/rolling and the possibility of my paint chipping. I've read that certain ways of doing this can avoid that, but others have said its completely unavoidable. I'm not looking for a crazy aggressive fitment, but a just nice staggered set of wheels and tires. Is there any way I can achieve the look I'm going for (although I know its kind of vague) without having to worry about doing any major fender mods?
Finally, I'm seeing a lot of lowered SC's without the front wheel liner. It leaves the car with an unfinished look. Is this something I'll HAVE to remove to accommodate 18" or 19" wheels on a lowered suspension?

PS: I still have NO idea what all the tire measurement numbers mean, so I cant say exactly what size tire I'll be going with. Just dont like the super stretched look..

Last edited by scENFORCER; 11-02-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 02:37 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering a sc300 or 400 is definitely not for looks only. As you can see already driving a stock sc is quite spongy for a lux sport coupe. In other words it needs to be lowered. If you are worried about bottoming out, being too low, etc.. definitely get adjustables. Just don't set it too low. Also, Tien adjustables maybe too stiff for you since you seem to be new to this. I'd recommend either the gixxer custom adjustables consisting of bilstein/hyper coil, JIC flt-a2 or something like that, and h&r's. I'm sure there's plenty more out there but these are my favorites because they ride perfect for daily driving, plus they handle extremely well when cornering. Also, on the sc's even when lowered you can still get your allighment done corrected as much as possible, as it's adustable. It'll be slightly off but nothing major to the point resulting in major tire wear. Good luck and you're driving a hell of a nice car. Enjoy
Old 11-02-09, 02:37 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

if you have this much concern, then dont lower your car. i dont know what kind of lift youre driving on to where you are scraping on stock suspension, that doesnt sound right.
Old 11-02-09, 02:57 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on scfou's advice

Lowering your SC too much is only for looks yes, but lowering to a certain point with firmer dampers will improve the handling and feel of the car significantly. Get a threaded coilover so that you can adjust the ride height if you're worried about being too low. I was in the same boat as you and very close to ordering the Tein CS for a nice street setup but did some research on spring rates and ended up with the H&R's which are very comfortable for daily use, significantly firmer than stock, and a great value.
Old 11-02-09, 03:42 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if ur worried about lowering ur car because of ur undercarrage then u shouldnt even mod ur car. thats some dumb advice but seriously unless u plan on lowering it rediculiously low like some nerds on here that the exhaust CAT scraps the ground then yea ur gonna have some problems. so dont worry if u buy adjusable coil-overs u can lift it up if ur too low and u wont worry about i am currently lowerd on esilier ASD springs with KYB shocks and i sit pretty low on 18" IS350 wheels with 255/40/18 tires no rubs and no mods to the fender. I sit about 2" lower than stock but if you go any lower than that and any wider on the tires u will def gonna need to mod ur fenders (roll them or cut them). My ride is also kind like stock just a tad bit bouncy on a rough street but all in all its a straight ride. And when it comes to the sizes of tires this is how it goes here is my rear tires size 255/40/18 which means 255 is the width of my tire and the 40 means how thick the sidewall of the tire is so obviously the bigger the number the bigger the tire and the last number just means the rims size the tire is for
Old 11-02-09, 03:43 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scfou
Lowering a sc300 or 400 is definitely not for looks only. As you can see already driving a stock sc is quite spongy for a lux sport coupe. In other words it needs to be lowered. If you are worried about bottoming out, being too low, etc.. definitely get adjustables. Just don't set it too low. Also, Tien adjustables maybe too stiff for you since you seem to be new to this. I'd recommend either the gixxer custom adjustables consisting of bilstein/hyper coil, JIC flt-a2 or something like that, and h&r's. I'm sure there's plenty more out there but these are my favorites because they ride perfect for daily driving, plus they handle extremely well when cornering. Also, on the sc's even when lowered you can still get your alignment done corrected as much as possible, as it's adjustable. It'll be slightly off but nothing major to the point resulting in major tire wear. Good luck and you're driving a hell of a nice car. Enjoy
Thanks, this is the exact type of info I am looking for as I am new to actually modding. I am defiantly looking for something as a daily driver, but still comfortable and sporty. So not recommending Comfort Sports then?

Originally Posted by HellFish
if you have this much concern, then dont lower your car. i dont know what kind of lift youre driving on to where you are scraping on stock suspension, that doesnt sound right.
I defiantly have my mind made up about lowering. Not only will the car look stupid not lowered on 19's, but I'm not very fond of how bouncy it is now. I want something more sporty but thats still comfortable.
The garage floor is just uneven, it kinda slopes downhill onto the lift. Thats why..
Old 11-02-09, 04:56 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

here's my advice: just lower it dude!

scraping is like a badge of honor...I love seeing people's faces when my car scrapes, they all think something is going to break off when in fact it's totally fine...I've had some pretty nasty scrapes, but when I jacked up the car, the scrapes are so minimal. But some suspension components will be more prone to wear.
Old 11-02-09, 07:16 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaydee
here's my advice: just lower it dude!

scraping is like a badge of honor...I love seeing people's faces when my car scrapes, they all think something is going to break off when in fact it's totally fine...I've had some pretty nasty scrapes, but when I jacked up the car, the scrapes are so minimal. But some suspension components will be more prone to wear.
haha I knew you'd say that..
Old 11-02-09, 10:03 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Finally, I'm seeing a lot of lowered SC's without the front wheel liner. It leaves the car with an unfinished look. Is this something I'll HAVE to remove to accommodate 18" or 19" wheels on a lowered suspension?
it really depends on how low you are...I did not want to go THAT low, so I didn't have to remove them, but anything less than one finger gap up front then you must remove them. As for the outer liner that goes around the wheel well, If you remove them, you do get a tiny bit more clearance without having to roll your fender...I was rubbing these even before I'm at one finger gap.
Old 11-03-09, 10:02 AM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
Lowering a sc300 or 400 is definitely not for looks only. As you can see already driving a stock sc is quite spongy for a lux sport coupe. In other words it needs to be lowered. If you are worried about bottoming out, being too low, etc.. definitely get adjustables. Just don't set it too low. Also, Tien adjustables maybe too stiff for you since you seem to be new to this. I'd recommend either the gixxer custom adjustables consisting of bilstein/hyper coil, JIC flt-a2 or something like that, and h&r's. I'm sure there's plenty more out there but these are my favorites because they ride perfect for daily driving, plus they handle extremely well when cornering. Also, on the sc's even when lowered you can still get your allighment done corrected as much as possible, as it's adustable. It'll be slightly off but nothing major to the point resulting in major tire wear. Good luck and you're driving a hell of a nice car. Enjoy
That is an extremely wrong statement!. Lowering and better handling have nothing to do with each other. Put any coilover setup on the SC and put it at stock ride height, It will handle better!. The arms are all at the right geometry at the stock ride height. Why do you think cars that have been lowered tend to have failed suspension parts faster?
Lowering springs do make your car handle marginally better because of the stiffness that is incorporated into it.

Of course this is not a hard and fast rule, there is a range the car can go lowered where the arms are still within a good range geometrically. Then you get to the point where it is just acceptable (which is where most of us are at now lowered), but the stiffer springs and better valved shocks more than make up for jacked up suspension geometry.

Last edited by kponti; 11-03-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 01:03 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

This is one aspect I was also kinda worried about. I figured adding non manufacturer components to something will cause other parts to fail quicker. The 'arm geometry' kinda validates that concern.
However I am not looking to complety 'slam' my SC, which is why I was thinking of the Comfort Sports, from what I've read they sit higher than other coilovers even when set at their lowest. Therfore the 'geometry' would be closest to stock (especially if I didn't have them at their lowest)?
Old 11-03-09, 01:09 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

if youre gonna start talking about wear and tear on your parts, let me ask you this. have you replaced all the of the bushings, ball joints, tie rods/ends on your 14 year old car? if not, then id suggest replacing all of that before you go spending your dollars on wheels and suspension.
Old 11-03-09, 01:30 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HellFish
if youre gonna start talking about wear and tear on your parts, let me ask you this. have you replaced all the of the bushings, ball joints, tie rods/ends on your 14 year old car? if not, then id suggest replacing all of that before you go spending your dollars on wheels and suspension.
Yea actually all that's pretty much done.
This is the third SC in my family and second I've owned, and it drives a lot tighter than the previous two, so I'm not concerned about maintenance like that. I'm not new to cars or new to maintenance. But I am new to modding so I just want to make sure I'm not messing up an as close to perfect SC as you'll see by lowering it on a suspension that will hurt it..
Old 11-03-09, 03:41 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Yea actually all that's pretty much done.
This is the third SC in my family and second I've owned, and it drives a lot tighter than the previous two, so I'm not concerned about maintenance like that. I'm not new to cars or new to maintenance. But I am new to modding so I just want to make sure I'm not messing up an as close to perfect SC as you'll see by lowering it on a suspension that will hurt it..
I will say if you want to lower your car go ahead. I will say 1" or less drop should be fine
Old 11-03-09, 06:03 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Lowering your car will never make it feel like stock. My 99 sc3 is all stock and I'm pondering the same thing. Lower it or not. SincE it feels smooth stock no hassel driving but then again looks wise it's not so nice haha. I'm gonna wait till I have $ to lower it with some coils. Maybe tein cs for comfort

Quick Reply: Worried about lowering..