Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My BC Racing coilovers are very noisy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 08:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the fix?
Old 12-10-09, 11:46 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear BC clunks so loud when the car is parked outside. Why would the front not make any noise?
Old 12-11-09, 12:04 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Is this normal for coilovers? (this is my first coilover set up)

They make a lot of 'click', 'clack', and 'clunk' sounds...

Also when I pull into a driveway that I take on an angle, I hear a noise that sounds like the springs are decompressing in the rear. Hard to describe the noise in words...

But anyway, you coilover guys... is this normal?
check your pre-load...sounds like it needs to be compressed more.
Old 12-11-09, 04:56 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pchan0
My rear BC clunks so loud when the car is parked outside. Why would the front not make any noise?
it make noise while its in park? i dont know about you but i dont have that issue on mine for about a yr now and put a good 8k on them and yet to get any of what your getting.
Old 12-11-09, 09:30 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try the preload thingy?
Old 12-11-09, 11:09 AM
pchan0
Lead Lap

I meant if I parked the car outside at work then drive home the rear would clunk. If the car is in the garage, it would not clunk when I drive to work. If its the temperature that caused this, how come the front don't make any noise? CMS care to chim in on this?
Old 12-11-09, 12:20 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to ask if it was cold...and I see that you are in Toronto...so I'm going to assume it's reallly cold there haha.

When it's cold the fluid inside the damper gets much thicker, and metal expands a tiny bit. This can cause you to hear some nosie for mthe coilover until it warms back up. the reaso nyou hear ti form the rear is becuase it is not as isolated form the cabin as the fronts are.

OR you might beed to preload the rears a bit, or make sure they are at the correct preload.
Old 12-11-09, 01:58 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

What is the correct preload for the rear? 2mm?

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
I was going to ask if it was cold...and I see that you are in Toronto...so I'm going to assume it's reallly cold there haha.

When it's cold the fluid inside the damper gets much thicker, and metal expands a tiny bit. This can cause you to hear some nosie for mthe coilover until it warms back up. the reaso nyou hear ti form the rear is becuase it is not as isolated form the cabin as the fronts are.

OR you might beed to preload the rears a bit, or make sure they are at the correct preload.
Old 12-12-09, 08:16 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

About 3-4mm of preload is what you want to have.
Old 12-12-09, 09:55 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Isnt spring preload suppose to be the difference between the top and the bottom of the spring perch? Please correct me if im wrong.. because i wanna check mine when i lower the car next week.
Old 12-13-09, 08:54 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Spring preload is how much the spring has been pre-loaded, or "squished" from it's free length position, or "loose" position.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

Hope that helps guys, we try and support you guys as much as possible with what we sell
Old 12-17-09, 03:21 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Spring preload is how much the spring has been pre-loaded, or "squished" from it's free length position, or "loose" position.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

Hope that helps guys, we try and support you guys as much as possible with what we sell

I tried this preloading thing and it definitely makes a difference. Mine where "TOO preloaded" and the ride was very bumpy at times. However after doing the preloading right the ride is much better and the spring gives a larger range for the dampers to work. As far as noises im not sure since i didnt have any noises before.