Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Comprehensive suspension diagnosis tests

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 08:13 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Comprehensive suspension diagnosis tests

I have been searching for a while without much luck...
Is there a post that explains "suspension diagnosis"?
I have found bits and peices here and there but is there a post simply explaining DIY tests for diagnosing suspension issues/noises?

EG: Basic test for front ball joints: raise car, grab wheel at 12 and 6 oclock, move back and forth feeling for play and listening for noises. Significant play/or noises could indicate a worn ball joint.

If there is a posting with a full listing of these tests please point me in the right direction.

If there isn't... would anyone like to add tips fo DIY daignosis of suspension issues

BTW having an issue myself and I need to learn some of these basic tests.
Old 11-10-09, 12:34 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Also, the clunking noise goes over any bump, drive way, pothole, and like you said, jack it up and grap with both hands and shake it. I took mine to the dealer for the clunking noise, and that's what they did. I asked how did they know that the LBJ is bad? They did the samething as what most GS's owners here did by graping both hands on the wheels and shake for any play. Now, the clucking noise is not necessary due to the LBJ, it could be the UCA(upper control arm), or even the outer tie rod as well. Good luck.
Old 11-10-09, 02:14 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All cars are the same and totally different.
What i mean is the GS test are no different than any other car but exactly how you place a bar and pry is the differences.
Google will give you the points to test .
You just need to get the car in the air and pry to check for tolerances . Only experiance seeing it and doing it will show you that . So you need to find someone to show you on your car to be able to test it ,otherwise it will look better or worse than it is as you have to know what parts are compensating.
Old 11-10-09, 06:41 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

I appreciate your thoughts however I think it would be nice to have a comprehensive listing of these checks in one post.
Would anyone like to add anything?
Old 11-10-09, 06:46 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Another one I thought of is a basic test for worn motor mounts/tranny mounts is put the car in drive, lightly and quickly jab the throttle once or twice with your foot on the brake... If you hear a click noise it is possible that it could be an engine/tranny mount making the noise.

This is also a easy way to do brake stands or rear end someone/hit something so be careful and do in a safe place and of course use common sense...