Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! Spent $2000 on suspension and far from satisified!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 09:07 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Spent $2000 on suspension and far from satisified!!!

CL, I just got Stance GR+ and Supra Control Arms installed yesterday. Something is not right, I can tell with even my limited knowledge.

Firstly, I took it to my regular mechanic. He had no idea what coilovers were and had to look at them to verify there was both a shock and a strut. (I pray to got they are on right) Anyway he slaps them on and LCAs too.

The ride is stiff as a brick. I can feel every bump as a bounce (hard bounce noy springy and cushiony) down the freeway. If I push down on the car, it doesn't move at all. I knew coilovers would be much stiffer than stock but is that right? Maybe he installed them on some weird setting because he doesn't even know they adjusted like that?

Secondly, I thought new LCAs would correct the steering wheel jumping in my hand when I hit a bump problem. I admit, it is a LITTLE better but it remains way noticable. I have a 1996 Ford Probe and 2000 Ford Camry too, and my nicest car is the only one with this problem. What else could I try to replace? This gets on my nerves more than anything.

The only positives are the better steering and the incredible lower stance.

I am basically asking for any and all help, because I spent a grip on this old *** car and it still rides like crap. If you have read this far and have any suggestions, I will appreciate it.
Old 11-11-09, 09:38 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u adjust the damper on the coils from stiff to soft
Old 11-11-09, 09:47 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure he didn't adjust height using the spring preload. Basically, the setting should be set (as a beginning, corner balance is next step if you want to go that far) so that the shock body threading controls the height. So if you jack up the car, you want the spring to be seated so that it's in contact with both the spring perch and the upper mount, yet still be able to rotate freely. Then from there, adjust dampening to suit your need.
Old 11-11-09, 10:53 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAnt
make sure he didn't adjust height using the spring preload. Basically, the setting should be set (as a beginning, corner balance is next step if you want to go that far) so that the shock body threading controls the height. So if you jack up the car, you want the spring to be seated so that it's in contact with both the spring perch and the upper mount, yet still be able to rotate freely. Then from there, adjust dampening to suit your need.
+1

also look into replacing your rack bushings.

i replaced all control arm bushings, rack bushings, and stance coilovers. the car is as responsive as a go kart and on softer setting it is nice and comfortable sporty ride.

turning the damping **** counterclockwise all the way makes them softer. clockwise makes it stiffer.

btw our cars dont have struts

we have double wishbone, uneven parallel arm suspension. struts are only on macpherson equipped cars.

how much did you spend on your stances? i hope no more then a 1000...
Old 11-12-09, 12:27 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the EXACT reason I make sure I learn and research what I am doing with my car before hand, and do it myself...that include installing and RESEARCHING how parts work.

Adjust your dampening like everyone said..if the car is lower than you want, before adjusting the dampening, adjust the height, then dampening to suit.

did you get an alignment done after the coilovers were installed?
Old 11-12-09, 01:24 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

I thought you have to get a wheel alignment done after you fitted the front LCAs!
Old 11-12-09, 05:54 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

A regular mechanic isn't a suspension expert. You gotta find a suspension shop and have them doublecheck it.

You wont be able to push down on the car and don't try to because you may dent your panel.

You should have the alignment checked too and are the tires balanced. It's hard to get everything right so dont beat yourself up.
Old 11-12-09, 06:01 AM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Yeah I got an alignment. Come on lol

I don't know how to adjust anything, height or dampening. I will probably go back, have him take the wheels off and figure out how to do it? He said they were at maximum height and they still were low.

So steering rack bushings now for the bump steering problem? Who do u guys use. , Ive been hearing Daizen

and I paid $1060 for coils
Old 11-12-09, 02:44 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

? y did u spend 2g's on stuff that u dont know how to opperate properly. not trying to be rude at all just wanted to know but here i help out a lil bit if u want i have some tien ha's ill give u for those stance much softer than what ur riding now
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Spent 00 on suspension and far from satisified!!!-dsc_0158.jpg  

Last edited by t70 supra; 11-12-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-14-09, 09:18 AM
TankMR
Lead Lap

I hope you didn't make that diagram purely for me. I figured out how to dampen 2 days ago but thank you. Also the instructions and supposedly the warranty info (if it came in the box) is still with my mechanic. Ride is much softer but still rough. Probably the ride height. My coils "ping" regularly but at the drive thru I heard a loud groan sound. That can't be too good eh.

What kind of rack bushings? Please and thank you.
Old 11-14-09, 09:52 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

daizen rack but if u can get the mesurments u can get the enegry susptention kit
Old 11-14-09, 10:06 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

to add in terms of dampening adjustment, you don't have to have all four dampeners at the same settings. when i first put in my aragostas, i had them at full soft to break in the shocks, then adjusted afterwards. as it sits now, i have them set at front 4 from soft and rear 2 from soft. that's just for daily driving, when i get to the track where the road isn't rough, i adjust to somewhere around 8-9 front and 5-6 rear. you want the rear to have a little more squat to help with traction
Old 11-15-09, 01:43 PM
SpuGen
Rookie

I think it's time to get a new Mechanic.

Your car/the coilovers shouldn't groan. I'm assuming one of the lower mount bolts are loose. I had the same problem, and when I went in for my race alignment a week later, they noticed that one of the bolts backed off and was hanging on by a few threads. The fix? Torque all those bolts down with a torque wrench to the proper settings. I was rushing it and missed out on that one bolt which could've been VERY expensive if it broke off.

Check to make sure your coilover springs aren't preloaded. The perch that holds the spring (just under it) should be just snug on the spring. Loosen it up, and retighten to make sure. If the spring starts to unload, your mechanic ****ed up.

Pretty much, make sure everything is tight and torqued down properly. Check your bushings.
My coilovers/steering doesn't groan anymore after I made sure everything was tight.
Old 11-15-09, 03:06 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

I think your first mistake was allowing someone to install your part when he had no idea what coilovers were in the first place.
Old 11-15-09, 04:16 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Yeah I effed up. Trying to fix things before I let someone else look. Are you guys talking about the bronze collored metal ring on the assembly? Make sure that is tight? I have no idea what a spring perch and all that other stuff is. Yeah, I know it's pathetic.

Quick Reply: HELP! Spent $2000 on suspension and far from satisified!!!