Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Rotors "Non-Servicable"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 04:22 PM
babyray
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpachicka
I took my 2007 IS350 in to the dealer today for my 35k service, the dealer told me that my front brake pads are at 3/32 and I will need to replace my front brake pads and rotors for the low price of 785.00. When I asked him if the rotors had to be replaced or if they could be resurfaced. He told me that with my model the brake rotors are "non-serviceable" and it was not possible to machine/resurface the rotors and that rotors always have to be replaced when the pads are.

I don't know if I"m just being cheap, but I have a nagging feeling that I probably don't have to replace the rotors. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it absolutely necessary to replace the rotors?
So about every 35,000 miles you'll be shelling out 785 bucks for pads and rotors??? That's crazy.
Old 11-15-09, 04:26 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you gotta remember that you are servicing a lexus and not a kia.
Old 11-15-09, 07:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by babyray
So about every 35,000 miles you'll be shelling out 785 bucks for pads and rotors??? That's crazy.
Yes, listening to and believing everything the dealer tells you is pretty crazy.

Good thing there's resources like these forums to keep folks from shelling out that kind of money needlessly.
Old 11-16-09, 07:13 AM
babyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guitarmike
you gotta remember that you are servicing a lexus and not a kia.
I like the car also but its a Toyota. Let's not act like its a ferrari or something. Its a nice car but it isn't an exotic and you shouldn't have to spend that kind of money for brakes every 35k.
Old 11-18-09, 03:38 AM
VF84
Pole Position

that's probably a lot of labor and overhead... afterall, all those nice cookies had to come from somewhere . anyway, 13" rotors from brembo is about 400 each, u'll need two; not to mention the floating hardware. i'd imagine the is350 rotors probably are about 200 each? anyone know?
Old 11-18-09, 04:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by babyray
It is crazy, don't let the stealership screw you !! Go to a Toyota dealer and tell them you want the rotors resurfaced and new brakes, you'll be surprised by the savings
Old 12-01-09, 08:37 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
nah, it's not just lexus dealers. mb dealers do the same too. on many mb rotors, the min thickness is stamped onto the hat. what does the lexus rotor say, if any?
I think every rotor or drum sold in the U.S. has to have the min. thickness stamped on the backside
Old 12-05-09, 02:23 PM
Aroach
Rookie

Originally Posted by haulinick
I had the same thing happen at my 35k and I wish I knew ahead of time. Might as well swapped the oem rotors for some after market ones. After market are about the same price so why not. If they crack like people say aftermarket do just buy new oem ones next time you need pads like you would have had to do anyway. No loss whatsoever. lol
That's what I did after I heard the same thing from the dealership. My guy at Cartronics in Santa Rosa did a +1 slotted and crossed drilled rotor and new brakes (all 4) for less than what the dealer was going to do the front 2 for.
Old 10-11-10, 01:14 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump this one year old thread. Last year one of my friends noticed that my rotors had a lip on them. I should of taken it in before I hit 50k. But I continued to ride on them until today. I knew the dealership would screw me if I took it to them. So I took it into BrakeMasters. It's going to cost me around $400 to replace the front rotors, brake pads, and flush the brake lines. Did I get screwed or is this reasonable. I knew i could have saved money by DIY. But honestly that is not in my blood.
Old 10-12-10, 05:14 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vanson350
Very odd. If your rotors have not been resurfaced yet I see no reason why they can't be done at least once. The cheaper option if you don't want the dealer to do it would be to order the parts on line and have and independent shop do it. One of my CL friends asked the dealer how much it would be to put F-Sport springs on his car and they wanted $500 for labor. He had the parts already. I helped him do it and we spent $44, well I did most of it. Part of that was the sushi I made him buy me.

Maybe someone more versed on the Lexus IS rotors can chime in but I think it's BS.

LOL if you could help me with it i'll put you sushi any day !
Old 10-13-10, 07:40 PM
babyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cpachicka
I took my 2007 IS350 in to the dealer today for my 35k service, the dealer told me that my front brake pads are at 3/32 and I will need to replace my front brake pads and rotors for the low price of 785.00. When I asked him if the rotors had to be replaced or if they could be resurfaced. He told me that with my model the brake rotors are "non-serviceable" and it was not possible to machine/resurface the rotors and that rotors always have to be replaced when the pads are.

I don't know if I"m just being cheap, but I have a nagging feeling that I probably don't have to replace the rotors. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it absolutely necessary to replace the rotors?
I had mine done a couple of weeks ago (06 350). The rotors could not be turned. I had mine done at Carmax (I work there). You are overpaying to have this done. I received a 10% employee discount. My total bill was $407.00. They bought the rotors and pads at the local Lexus dealership.
Old 10-13-10, 10:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Turning rotors is almost always a bad idea and only adds to the profit the dealer makes on the job. All this BS about the lip being an issue is truly amazing.

Buy replacement rotors from Lexus or Centric (Centric rotors work great and cost a LOT less). Retail on pads is $59.95 and retail on discs for the front is <$300 for the pair. Time to repair is 30 minutes if you drink a lot of beer and work slowly.

I'll never understand why so many people don't question their service advisers. If your SA is any good at all, they'll welcome your questions and will be happy to show you the disc is at or below serviceable limits. Keep in mind, there's only 3mm of material between new and junk, so if they say something stupid like "there's only a millimeter left" what they're really saying is you still have a third of the service life left. Same is true for the brake pads. There's only 8/32 of material from new to unserviceable. Unserviceable is 1/32! So if you have 3/32 left, you're giving up a LOT of service life just because your SA wants to make money today.

Put it another way - if you run the pad down to ZERO, you'll be replacing pads and rotors because the rotors will surely be junk. Aren't they telling you the SAME THING right now? If you don't change the pads, they'll wear out. OK, so they wear out. You're telling me I have to change pads AND rotors right? Fine. I'll drive them until it's metal on metal and you'll be doing the EXACT SAME THING you're proposing to do today except I'll have put another 10k or 15k on my car when it really and truly finally NEEDS brakes.

Stop accepting the BS and lies. Most people are getting screwed by unscrupulous service advisers recommending replacing perfectly good brakes.