Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

OEM Lower Control Arm No.2 related thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 09:39 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguychar
Great thread here, lots of ideas and thoughts, but has anyone fixed the clunking sound without replacing every thing in the front end ? Lol could someone that's replaced something like ball joints, sturts, bushings ect. let me know if it solved the problem. Thanks for the reply look forward to hearing back from you.
3 years ago I had replaced just the LBJ's and I believe the clunking disappeared. This year, the clunking returned, and so I replaced both the LBJ's and caster arms. I also replaced the UCA, but can't be sure if the clunking came from there.

I will say that after replacing those, and new struts, that my car is like a dream to drive again, confident and firm (I used to have vibrations and wandering steering at 60 MPH, a few days ago I pushed it over 100 MPH and it was spot on straight and smooth with little effort in holding my steering wheel!)

So, with struts not being too expensive, do the LBJ, struts, and caster arms - if you can afford, do the UCA's too and tie rods! Not sure if that is helpful, but I would get it done all at once and not have to worry about it again anytime in the near future. You will be so pleasantly and happily surprised.
Old 11-03-11, 02:49 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by carguychar
Great thread here, lots of ideas and thoughts, but has anyone fixed the clunking sound without replacing every thing in the front end ? Lol could someone that's replaced something like ball joints, sturts, bushings ect. let me know if it solved the problem. Thanks for the reply look forward to hearing back from you

Originally Posted by airahcaz
3 years ago I had replaced just the LBJ's and I believe the clunking disappeared. This year, the clunking returned, and so I replaced both the LBJ's and caster arms. I also replaced the UCA, but can't be sure if the clunking came from there.

I will say that after replacing those, and new struts, that my car is like a dream to drive again, confident and firm (I used to have vibrations and wandering steering at 60 MPH, a few days ago I pushed it over 100 MPH and it was spot on straight and smooth with little effort in holding my steering wheel!)

So, with struts not being too expensive, do the LBJ, struts, and caster arms - if you can afford, do the UCA's too and tie rods! Not sure if that is helpful, but I would get it done all at once and not have to worry about it again anytime in the near future. You will be so pleasantly and happily surprised.
IMHO dont just go throwing money at it carguy....CHECK the UCA/LBJ for play before replacing them

only replace struts if they blown

the castor arms JUST replace the bushing

replace the inner tie rods if they also have play

replacing the outer tie rods,not a bad idea but not needed to do all the time

also if you replace them FIGS makes aftermarket parts which typically are priced cheaper than or close to the OEM parts and most of some form of adjustability
Old 11-03-11, 05:43 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
IMHO dont just go throwing money at it carguy....CHECK the UCA/LBJ for play before replacing them

only replace struts if they blown

the castor arms JUST replace the bushing

replace the inner tie rods if they also have play

replacing the outer tie rods,not a bad idea but not needed to do all the time

also if you replace them FIGS makes aftermarket parts which typically are priced cheaper than or close to the OEM parts and most of some form of adjustability
Sakataj, generally what's the life on the original struts?
Old 11-04-11, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Sakataj, generally what's the life on the original struts?
i dunno 100k maybe more depending on how you drive, what you drive with in the car, how many people constantly in it....EITHER way i would just upgrade them for coilovers if it was mine and i had a shock out BUT i wouldnt replace them until they needed to be
Old 11-11-11, 05:25 AM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced all my shocks after 125k miles and when we took them out, they were just about done. My UCAs are also worn to ****. When the front wheels came off to replace the springs/shocks, the UCAs were hanging down, like an old man slouching over a bowl of soup.

From reading this thread and the other about front suspension fixes, I'm a wee bit confused. I'm on a 99 GS400. Put in OEM new shocks, DF210 springs (1.2F,0-8R drop). Just ordered the steering rack bushings from Sewell. 17" RIMS Lumanari. I feel a slight vibration after 60 that i didn't notice before. I also replaced the LBJs recently.

What am i supposed to be doing now? Bushings for UCAs, LCAs but not replace LCAs unless they have play in them?

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, airahcaz; you're ordering parts form Lexus Manhattan? Do you know Sewell will sell you the same parts for half the price - literally?!
Old 11-11-11, 05:31 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gtmax
I replaced all my shocks after 125k miles and when we took them out, they were just about done. My UCAs are also worn to ****. When the front wheels came off to replace the springs/shocks, the UCAs were hanging down, like an old man slouching over a bowl of soup.

From reading this thread and the other about front suspension fixes, I'm a wee bit confused. I'm on a 99 GS400. Put in OEM new shocks, DF210 springs (1.2F,0-8R drop). Just ordered the steering rack bushings from Sewell. 17" RIMS Lumanari. I feel a slight vibration after 60 that i didn't notice before. I also replaced the LBJs recently.

What am i supposed to be doing now? Bushings for UCAs, LCAs but not replace LCAs unless they have play in them?

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, airahcaz; you're ordering parts form Lexus Manhattan? Do you know Sewell will sell you the same parts for half the price - literally?!
I checked with Sewell and it wasn't quite half, but there is some premium to pay if you want the parts fairly immediately for a non working vehicle which is your only vehicle - I hear you! I didn't buy Lexus OEM for UCA's though.

By the way, I'm sure you did a wheel alignment after the LBJ's?
Old 01-24-12, 07:43 PM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

Any body tried these bushes?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tchlink:top:en
Old 03-19-12, 09:22 AM
SureShot
Rookie

got an extra Daizen Kit if anyone needs it. ended up replacing the arms, instead
Old 03-19-12, 10:54 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default What is in the Kit?

Originally Posted by SureShot
got an extra Daizen Kit if anyone needs it. ended up replacing the arms, instead
What is included in the kit? PM sent
Old 03-20-12, 10:14 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Which after UCA did you bought?

I checked with Sewell and it wasn't quite half, but there is some premium to pay if you want the parts fairly immediately for a non working vehicle which is your only vehicle - I hear you! I didn't buy Lexus OEM for UCA's though.

By the way, I'm sure you did a wheel alignment after the LBJ's?
Can you suggest or recommend the UCA manufacturer that you currently driving with. I dont mind paying for OEM part, but for the UCA , I have to say hell no. Over $650 a pair.
Old 01-02-17, 06:36 AM
Jferrier
Driver School Candidate

Default Gs 430 2001

Coco where I can get the link for the gs 430 2001 Caster arm? Thx
Old 04-27-17, 01:12 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Doing some research on the control arm #2, and the SC430 seems to share a lot of parts with the 2GS, but does the Control Arm #2? It is listed as a different part number.

48670-24020 Left
48660-24020 Right

I have seen at least one eBay listing showing the 2GS and SC430 use the same arm, but I can't confirm it.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 04-27-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 01:23 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking at the Mevotech catalog, they list all 2GS using their replacement Front Lower Rear Arm CMS861244 (Right) and CMS861243 (Left). They do not have a listing for the SC430 Front Lower Rear arm.
So I am curious why it doesn't work when so much on the SC430 is shared with the 2GS in the suspension.

Old 04-27-17, 01:45 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Those numbers listed above are for a 2002-2010 SC430. They are different numbers from the GS counterparts, but the balljoints, and spindles are even the same part numbers. The only thing I can think of is maybe the No. 2 control/caster arms are shorter because they connect to a different point underneath the frame. After all, the SC430 total body length is 11" shorter than the GSXX0 models. Part numbers as followed:

2002-2010 SC430:
Right Arm: 48660-24020
Left Arm: 48660-24020

2001-2005 GS300/GS430: (These are interchangeable with the 1998-2000 as the arms are just slightly thicker)
Right Arm: 48660-30281
Left Arm: 48670-30281

1998-2000 GS300/GS400:
Right Arm: 48660-30240
Left Arm: 48670-30240
Old 05-29-19, 09:12 PM
jmc0369
Driver School Candidate

I have a 98 GS300 with an unknown service history. How could I tell if the LA's on my car were upgraded? Is the PN stamped on the part? I am new to Lexus and am trying to come up to speed on the lex-lingo as I am coming from the RWD Volvo scene.

Quick Reply: OEM Lower Control Arm No.2 related thread