Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alternate way to fixing highway whobble (Caster arm/tension rod/lower control arm #2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 12:35 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternate way to fixing highway whobble (Caster arm/tension rod/lower control arm #2)

Coco showed us in another thread there's an alternate way of solving the problem for 98-00 GS. And SK wanted me to make a different thread about one of the fixes, so I have no choice but to make one that again is regarding fixes to the front suspension....

Original thread is here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html

NEW THREAD BY COCO https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ed-thread.html
I just multi-quoted the posts from the thread regarding the arms instead of Daizen bushings

Unlike getting the bushings which you have to have a press or a shop to do it, you can do this way yourself instead of getting the bushing kit, which is to replace the arm to a newer 03-05 caster arm/tension rod/lower control arm #2, newer 03-05 arm have TRD equivalent bushings and bigger arms that would fit 98-00.

And unlike the bushings that you'll probably order from TM Engineering (Which I already DID OVER 3 WEEKS AGO, I've got nothing but a charge on the credit card and invoice, call or Email is useless to contact them) you might be better off going this way since if you install all the control arm bushings you may be too hard, and if you're just installing the caster bushing, instead of paying for pressing and bushings, it might be cheaper to buy a whole new arm.

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Just replaced the tension rod with a 03-05 arm on my 98.

left is new OEM, right is old OEM.
OEM part made from Jan.2003 - present uses the TRD equivalent bushings (source. Arm was about 100/side with a discount. Sure, Daizen bushings are cheaper, but installations a *****. I also bought replacement bolts for them, was like 10 bucks for 4 of them.
Originally Posted by skperformance
Nice coco , got a pic of the actual bushing?

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Coco that is a huge difference in size with these caster arms.. Much stronger metal and durable.. thanks for sharing..

Tony
Originally Posted by RUSSOM
Hmmm,

I see that most posts show a different caster arm and lower balljoint (as I understand that they should be used together respectively) for the 98-00 to the 01+, and then there is this post that shows Jan '03-05. So how many versions of caster arm and lower ball joint have there been? I've got a 99 GS4, I need to do this and some other maint. items and if I need to get a new part anyway, I might as well get the best/latest version of them. So do the differences run 98-00, 01-02, 03-05? Or just 98-00 and 01+?

Thanks guys
Originally Posted by Och
Tension rod and caster arm is the same thing, right?
As for the chassis, in Japan, everyone calls the GS like...
98-00 = zenki
00-03 = chuki
03-05 = kouki
b/c things changed majorly in those years. I didn't research much about ball joints so I can't say anything for sure.

As for the tension rod, I was afraid that since I got information from researching sites from Japan and calling up Netz and TRD in Japan that it might not fit, but 03-05 arm is a direct bolt on to a 98-00 chassis, my GS is a proven fact that it'll even work on USDM GSs.

Beefier arm and bigger bushings from what I can see. From what I researched, these bushings are stiffer than 98-00 OEM and have TRD equivalent bushings. The TRD site even says that 03-05 has TRD equivalent bushing or something like that. Parts number match from the Japanese sites I looked at. HOWEVER, listen up Lexus, you're a ****ing rip off. Lower arm no2 are sold in Japan for 50bucks per side. In the States? 200 per side. What a bunch of horse****, seriously.

No idea about the material and durability. It's hard to compare since most people wear the **** out of these bushings and then change them to a newer arm in Japan.... but, from that torn bushings, I think it gets A LOT of stress, especially if slammed. Converting it to a heim joint may not be a bad idea if you want to super slammed and drive a lot.

yes. lower arm no2 in toyota speak. I think usually referred to as a tension rod.

Hope that helps. I'm here help out but don't expect me to be a black box that'll spit out information that you want (meaning don't send me a PM asking me some stupid *****).
Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
$200 per side thud =..... Any Source for them stateside at that rate? (100)?
Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
So how and where did you get these arms? directly from Japan? I need mine fixed quick, like within 1-2 weeks, I've ordered from Daisen over 2 weeks ago without anything... if I get these arms, I could do it myself quickly before I drive the 1200+mile trip again...
McGrath Lexus in Chicago, I coughed up the cash but it was worth it. They didn't have it in stock but I got it in like 1-2 days.
So just basically ask for 03-05 caster arms for GS in Lexus dealer that's all right?

if it's about 200 USD per side I think it's worth it... since daizen's about 100 for bushings and mainly we only need caster bushings anyways... and install's about 400, so if 400 for new bigger arms and better bushings, that's basically all we need right? and with this I can install it myself instead of letting a shop do it, which I don't trust any shop around here...
Originally Posted by GSteg
Install is pretty easy so definitely DIY it. I'm starting to look into OEM arms again. While the Daizen does keep the alignment in check, I'm not liking the ride as much. I wouldn't mind swapping out the OEM arm once every 80k miles or so to retain the smoothness.
Originally Posted by tonysgs300
are the tension rods and the caster arms the same thing? cause i think that my tension and or caster arms needs to be replaced and im trying to figure out how much they are going to be
Originally Posted by GS300ToM
139 + tax tony EACH SIDE
yes, read above.

Solo>
it's not too hard of a DIY but it's not the easiest either. It's 2 bolts and 1 nut per side, and taking off the front lower brace. The hard part was putting it back on and aligning the bolts. Grab a big open end, twist, adjust, bolt up, and enjoy. Oh, and I replaced the bolts too.
Originally Posted by GSteg
One simple hint to make installation much easier:

Remove the spring/shock/coilover.

Attach the 2 bolts to the LCA and then the caster bolt.

This whole process took me maybe 10-15 minutes per side and I didn't even have to wrestle with the resistance
...why didn't I think of that
Anyone got part number for those arms? I don't know which one is it ont he carson's site, there's like 10 different arms for that.....

And I asked Lexus here, it's even more of a rip, 318 CND EACH!
guys, it's not hard to locate a part number.
go to the sticky thread, look for the manual, locate the part you are looking for, and the diagram should tell you the part number.

...if you're lazier, I'd print this thread out and have a Lexus service adviser help you out. But porkchop sandwich if the adviser doesn't know what they're talking about.
I can't find part number on the manual? It only states the name of the part... Or did I went to the wrong one/is there a way it can show the numbers?
I coulda swore thats where I got my parts number from...brb
Originally Posted by skperformance
solo i have no idea what you are asking , part numbers, arms?
This is about buying the control arm kit and replacing the bushings which you buy from tm engineering . Why are you making this so complicated ?
Please make another thread , otherwise anyone who searches it out will never find the info they are after if it goes on for 5 pages and they stop reading after 1.
thanks

Last edited by Solo_D33A; 11-18-09 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 12:37 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... Seems like Coco beats me to it... so go here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ed-thread.html

Mods you can lock this thread now.
Old 11-18-09, 12:39 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

****, props to you for actually reading the thread!