Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stock struts/shocks gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 10:26 PM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock struts/shocks gone?

I realize it's nearly impossible to diagnose something suspension-wise without riding in a car, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I just purchased a 92 SC300 and have noticed a few things I don't like, and know that shouldn't be how they are. The car has 101xxx miles, and I'm guessing nothing has ever been replaced.

First, when I hit a bump, the steering wheel "shakes" for a split second. It almost bump steers you could call it.

Next, when going over a semi-bumpy area and bumpy area over a period of time, it almost feels like the back end is bouncing. Consistent up and down, really annoying and getting old quick.

Is there anything else that could be causing this? I'm in the dark when it comes to suspension and don't want to just go out and buy something and end up wasting money. I do plan on dropping the car a bit, nothing crazy, probably struts and lowering springs, but that's about it. Should I just buy that to get it over with? Thanks
Old 11-27-09, 10:34 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're planning on doing it anyway, maybe just get suspension done with. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you know it's something else.
Old 11-27-09, 10:46 PM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

I have other things I'd like to do first, but I was thinking about that. I didn't know if worn bushings, etc could cause that, and if that's the case, I'd rather get them replaced. I would rather have everything to be working well before I start doing anything else.
Old 11-28-09, 04:58 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiifive
I realize it's nearly impossible to diagnose something suspension-wise without riding in a car, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I just purchased a 92 SC300 and have noticed a few things I don't like, and know that shouldn't be how they are. The car has 101xxx miles, and I'm guessing nothing has ever been replaced.

First, when I hit a bump, the steering wheel "shakes" for a split second. It almost bump steers you could call it.

Next, when going over a semi-bumpy area and bumpy area over a period of time, it almost feels like the back end is bouncing. Consistent up and down, really annoying and getting old quick.

Is there anything else that could be causing this? I'm in the dark when it comes to suspension and don't want to just go out and buy something and end up wasting money. I do plan on dropping the car a bit, nothing crazy, probably struts and lowering springs, but that's about it. Should I just buy that to get it over with? Thanks

Retorque your front subframe. There's a thread about it floating around here. Mine was doing the same thing and stopped after a retorque. 94 ft/lbs. You'll be surprised how many turns you'll get out of those bolts.
Old 11-28-09, 07:46 AM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I'll be trying that tomorrow!
Old 11-28-09, 09:53 AM
thefiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Looking around a bit I found that the lca/bushings/ball joints are probable causes of my symptoms, and from looking around, I can use the 93+ supra stuff. Has anyone used the O'Rielly brand, or know what they use for this, and is $165.xx a piece about right price wise?
Old 11-29-09, 01:06 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oreillys stocks MOOG, which is a major Japanese manufacturer of suspension parts. It's good stuff.
Old 11-30-09, 02:30 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the Front LCA from here:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3114