Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport vs. Hotchkis sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 09:05 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front sway is useless prettymuch... makes no noticable difference.. the backs the one that does
Old 12-01-09, 05:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
just like 'the springs will settle' rather than saying 'the bushings will settle'
And even then they only settle if the installer didn't reset em during install like he should have
Old 12-01-09, 02:10 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At first, i didn't believe that the rear F-sport sway would make a huge difference. I was skeptical as anyone. But i just installed it over the weekend, and it did make a BIG difference. You can tell your turns are sharper, less body roll, and can take corners at a faster speed! One of the best mod for the price!!!
Old 12-01-09, 02:33 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D
front sway is useless prettymuch... makes no noticable difference.. the backs the one that does
That's only assuming you have an is350, since the oem front sway bar is close to the f-sport bars thickness, but on a 250, I thnk it would be best to buy the set.

Op didn't say what car he had...
Old 12-01-09, 03:32 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sure OP has a 350 ...

but u are correct if u got a 250 get the set
for 350 owners the rear is all thats needed
Old 12-06-09, 11:24 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I didn't read any mention of the OP's title I'll give my .02

F-Sport vs Hotchkis Sway Bars - First off the F-Sport sways are made by Hotchkis and re-branded as Lexus F-Sport. The real difference between the two would be color and price. Hotchkis tend to go for a higher price than the F-Sport sways

For future readers, go for witch ever one's cheaper
Old 12-06-09, 11:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Since I didn't read any mention of the OP's title I'll give my .02

F-Sport vs Hotchkis Sway Bars - First off the F-Sport sways are made by Hotchkis and re-branded as Lexus F-Sport. The real difference between the two would be color and price. Hotchkis tend to go for a higher price than the F-Sport sways

For future readers, go for witch ever one's cheaper

The above contains significant misinformation.

While the word is the F-sport bars are made by Hotckis they are not the same as the 2IS bars sold and branded as Hotchkis.

not even close really.

The Hotchkis bar specs are 19mm rear and 32mm front... the F-sport bars are 19mm rear and 28.6mm front.

The Hotchkis rear bar is adjustable, the F-sport is not.

(Someone also mentioned the hotchkis rear is hollow vs the solid F-sport bar)

Hotchkis lists their rear bar as +140% stiffness when set to full (it's adjustable to 70 or 140).

F-sport rear bar is 161% stiffer.

The Hotchkis set will be significantly worse for understeer due both to the slightly less stiff rear bar and the much larger front bar. That's bad on both counts.

Stick to the F-sport bars.
Old 12-07-09, 12:03 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

While the word is the F-sport bars are made by Hotckis they are not the same as the 2IS bars sold and branded as Hotchkis.

not even close really.

The Hotchkis bar specs are 19mm rear and 32mm front... the F-sport bars are 19mm rear and 28.6mm front.

Hotchkis lists their rear bar as +140% stiffness when set to full (it's adjustable to 70 or 140).

The Hotchkis set will be significantly worse for understeer due both to the slightly less stiff rear bar and the much larger front bar. That's bad on both counts.

Interesting find there Kurtz, although I still think you take more time than most of us to find out your info

Well to further illuminate this post here's a little insight on John Hotchkis working with Lexus for the F-Sport sways.
Old 02-22-11, 08:25 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not even close really.

Sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead (blame search ) but wouldn't Hotchkis still be better than stock? And also, if I want better handling but still Lexus quality smoothness in ride, wouldn't the Hotchkis be a better bet because of the adjustable settings? I heard F-Sport sways cause for a VERY rigid ride, which is great for control, but not for ride quality. I am kinda looking for something right in the middle and the "adjustable settings" from Hotchkis APPEAR to be what I am looking for, however I am not super familiar with sways.
Old 02-23-11, 05:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead (blame search ) but wouldn't Hotchkis still be better than stock?
Better than stock? Sure. Worse than the F-sports? Yup.

And also, if I want better handling but still Lexus quality smoothness in ride, wouldn't the Hotchkis be a better bet because of the adjustable settings? I heard F-Sport sways cause for a VERY rigid ride, which is great for control, but not for ride quality. I am kinda looking for something right in the middle and the "adjustable settings" from Hotchkis APPEAR to be what I am looking for, however I am not super familiar with sways.

I doubt most folks ever bother to actually adjust em (this is true for many with coilovers too)... But regardless, sways have no impact on ride quality whatsoever unless going over uneven surfaces... (they make independent suspensions "feel" more like a live-axle car)... and even then it's pretty minor unless you're taking the thing off-road.

Put it another way- IMHO the improvement in handling with the f-sport bars is massive, the change in ride quality is very, very minor.

If you live someplace with really bad/uneven roads you might find it less minor I suppose, but I can't imagine ever calling it changing it to a "very rigid ride" over any reasonably paved surface.
Old 02-23-11, 06:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I heard F-Sport sways cause for a VERY rigid ride, which is great for control, but not for ride quality.

If you live on roads that are pretty bad, you will notice the difference. On glass roads, they're all pretty much the same.

However a 'very rigid' rides is not always a good thing, and neither are sways that are too stiff. They should be used sparingly to fine tune the suspension, not as the main source to increase spring rate. Sway bars work by removing traction from the inner wheel. In a way, sway bars give you less traction

If you're just after the 'feel' of the car, then stiff sometimes feel nice. If you're into optimal traction and such, then be careful with sways that are stiff. They can do more harm than good.
Old 02-23-11, 06:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I don't consider either set of bars as "very rigid" honestly...we're talking only 70-161% stiffer depending on which bar and which setting.

My last car the rear bar was 441% stiffer than stock. (but holy crap it felt like it took 1000 lbs off the thing around corners...and it was a live-axle rear in the first place anyway)
Old 02-23-11, 09:02 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D
Ahh no. The front F Sport sway bar makes a very noticeable difference. Refer to my comments in the "Official F Sport Sway bar thread".

Last edited by ISF_GG; 02-23-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 07:48 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. Then Kurtz, why do you say the Hotchkis are worse than the F-Sport given they are adjustable? Is it simply because of numbers, 140% vs. 161%?
Old 02-24-11, 06:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Ok.. Then Kurtz, why do you say the Hotchkis are worse than the F-Sport given they are adjustable? Is it simply because of numbers, 140% vs. 161%?
Did you read my entire post? I explain in some detail.

The problem is twofold, but it's less the rear bar as the bigger issue, it's the oversized front bar.

Quick Reply: F-Sport vs. Hotchkis sway bar