Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering the IS250AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 10:29 PM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the IS250AWD

Thinking about getting the lowering spring set under the F-sport series. What is the most I should paid to have dealership install? I know the set is $299 on the lexus website. And should I also buy the Bilstein Shock Absorber Set. Any suggestions or comments about this? Noticeable difference with these? Does is do anything besides give the car a more aggresive stance? Any difference in ride comfort? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-09, 10:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Forget the stealership. Just find a reputable shop to install your springs. I paid around $120 for my F-Sports installed. Dealer can't match that. I don't have AWD but the F-Sport shocks make the ride more stiff. Nice and sporty, but harsh on rough surfaces. If you haven't already bought the springs or shocks, check out Sewell one of the forums vendors, and make sure to use a 10% discount code for decent savings on these items. GL

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-01-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 05:40 PM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Dealership said $300 for springs, $750 for labor!!
Old 12-02-09, 08:21 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

edit: dang, long post lol

for the springs, check out the ebay store for Lexus of Westminster. it's the cheapest i've found.

and no you don't have to have the Bilstein shocks, unless you want them. Of course having the Bilstein shocks would improve the performance/handling more than just changing the springs alone. i don't have experience with the shocks, so you might wanna search the forum and see if it's something you wanna invest in right now or wait till later.

And aside from making your AWD look a lot better, the springs also enhance the performance/handling. Do a search for some of people's reviews. So it's not just for looks. You should be able to notice improvement (in terms of handling) even with just the springs upgrade, depending to an extent on your driving habit and how hard you push the car, and even more improvement with both the shocks and springs upgrade.

now for ride comfort, even changing just the springs will make the ride firmer, and it'll be bumpier and harsher over big dips and potholes. Overall though, it's still a pretty smooth ride. This is for springs upgrade only. Can't tell you what happens with the Bilstein shocks since i don't have them.

i don't know if you're familiar with the TSB for the rear F-Sport springs (see link below). And i don't know if you buy F-Sport springs now, if they come with these 'updated' rear springs or the 'old' rear springs. But if you get the 'old' ones, and don't intend to take the car to the dealership for the TSB, i'd recommend putting some Tein silencers on both of the rear springs (search the forums for more info) to minimize the infamous clunking noise coming from the rear passenger side spring. I only get slight clunks over large dips and such with the silencers on, and it doesn't bother me, so i chose not to do the TSB, since i don't wanna take the chance that they increase the height (hence a smaller drop) for the 'updated' springs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...14-09-a-2.html