Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 10:11 AM
CarterGs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I just replaced these parts on our GS300's 2 weeks ago.. Went OEM from Sewell Lexus (google them, its a big discount on oem parts) I paid around $250 shipped for ball joints pair and tie rod pair and got them the next day. We installed them ourselves from the write up on this website and got both cars knocked out in a little over 8hrs... First time doing this so it took a little more time and i didn't want to strip any bolts but MAN!!!!! Does it drive different! Saved about $275 in labor doing it myself and I would do it asap. "DO NOT SLEEP ON GETTING THIS JOB DONE" You'll regret it. Can't wait to do the Megan Coilovers next!
Old 12-02-09, 11:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LexXxuS101
hello, guys i need to change those ball joints and tie rods as soon as possible, my car makes so much noise everytime i make turns. i got 105,000miles . question how much is parts going to cost me? and should i trust auto shops or should i go to dealer to get it fixed(is it difficult to fix??).....and what about labor? what else to change besides ball joints and tie rods???
fail from a older member.....

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
HAHAHAHA

Originally Posted by BP_VVt-i
^^^^^^ LMAO!!! to Phamboogie. u rly shuld jus search the forum for it first but its all good.
If your gonna replace everything in ur front suspension here's a nice littel shopping list for u.

Tie rods: $30
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1006wt_932

Lower ball joints: $50
right - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lower...ht_1278wt_1167
left - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lower...ht_1303wt_1167

Upper Control Arms: $?
this is where ur gonna have to do the searching. go to my profile n look under my stats, then my post and i have a thread for where i got my upper control arms. contact the guy i listed in the email. His price changes every month so idk wat it is right now.

for 105k miles you probably should be good jus replacing those things, but if ur gonna drop it or have it dropped with with rims, i would also search eBay and Google Shopping for:
-Struts/Shocks
-springs/coilovers
-strut bar
-sway bar

hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!
have you even looked at those parts? they look ****ing terrible. i wouldnt put those on a car i was towing to the junkyard

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Sorry to ask cuz I can't view ebay at work, but are those OEM parts? (tie rods and ball joints?) those seem pretty cheap.
no and they look cheap too

they not 100% OEM, but they r direct copies. the lower ball joints are exactly the same, they dnt even look different in person, same measurements n everything. i hav ordered all this stuff myself n its super legit, even my personal mechanic who does work on commercial trucks n company cars for over 30 yrs admits that the parts look lyk they came right from the dealer n i havent had any problems at all with em
those parts DEF dont look like any part i have seen a dealer sell. those outer tie rods look like a bent pipe with a fitting on it.

LMAO ^^^ but the ride n performance is were deception is put to the test, n i would vouch for these parts. n i kno its not lifetime but they do offer a warranty

not the kinda parts u really wish to take a chance on cause it has a warranty...
Old 12-02-09, 12:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Are these the right ones from Sewell? I'm about to buy a pair myself, but there no picture reference and just want to make sure I'm getting the right set

Left

Right
Old 12-02-09, 05:29 PM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Are these the right ones from Sewell? I'm about to buy a pair myself, but there no picture reference and just want to make sure I'm getting the right set

Left

Right
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90178&all=Y

hey, i just order this and its set of 2, left n right for 120$$, i found here on forum a 10% discount code CL911M. i also got tie rods and sway bar bushings all under 300.
Old 12-02-09, 07:03 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
fail from a older member.....

HAHAHAHA

have you even looked at those parts? they look ****ing terrible. i wouldnt put those on a car i was towing to the junkyard

no and they look cheap too

those parts DEF dont look like any part i have seen a dealer sell. those outer tie rods look like a bent pipe with a fitting on it.

not the kinda parts u really wish to take a chance on cause it has a warranty...
WOW rly? r u jus the thread ripper over here? i'm sorry i dnt hav all the money to get sewell and lexus parts, but the parts i ordered work perfectly fine n i'm pretty sure that if u ever changed ur own tie rods n lower ball joints, its not too many diff ways they can look and unless my car jus totally falls apart from these "parts u dnt approve of" then i dnt see y u need to bash some discounted parts jus becuz they dnt look good enuff for you.
Old 12-02-09, 07:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexXxuS101
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90178&all=Y

hey, i just order this and its set of 2, left n right for 120$$, i found here on forum a 10% discount code CL911M. i also got tie rods and sway bar bushings all under 300.
Wow! Sweet.. I completely forgot about the benefits of being a CL member. Thanks!!!
Old 12-04-09, 09:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

WOW rly? r u jus the thread ripper over here? i'm sorry i dnt hav all the money to get sewell and lexus parts, but the parts i ordered work perfectly fine n i'm pretty sure that if u ever changed ur own tie rods n lower ball joints, its not too many diff ways they can look and unless my car jus totally falls apart from these "parts u dnt approve of" then i dnt see y u need to bash some discounted parts jus becuz they dnt look good enuff for you.
if u noticed.....im the kinda person who will not put a crappy part on my car, i will spend a extra week or so to afford the good part.

no im not a thread ripper i just don't believe in putting garbage on my car ESPECIALLY not on my suspension which is y i haven't done any suspension mods except maintenance and replacement with oem parts.i will wait till i can afford some toms/HKS/ohlins/or a comparable coilover (unless my stereo squashes my suspension and i have to do some coils ASAP, EVEN THEN it will be temporary).i will do some when i decide on which suspension i will be running. i have changed my own tie rods and lower ball joints before ty....as i said before these just arent the kinda parts i wish to cheap out on. its not what i do and dont approve of btw....make sense to you? its like honda's when i got into them people were running cheap *** teins, weapon r's, and ground controls. i was running some skunk2 coilovers, then some tein (NEVER AGAIN OMFG THEY SUCK), then some cusco's, and finally custom ohlins. suspension is just one thing i dont like to cheap out on.

oh and not that it matters but i actually like your car and where its heading but for ME i wont cheap out on my suspension man.

Last edited by sakataj; 12-04-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:08 AM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

quick question....how do you know if you need to replace your ball joints, what kind of symptoms, sounds and feeling in the car?
Old 12-04-09, 09:30 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc4demon
quick question....how do you know if you need to replace your ball joints, what kind of symptoms, sounds and feeling in the car?
i would say one of the easiest ways to do it besides driving around n feeling ur steering wheel have a seizure. LOL....is to jus jack ur car up in the front till u have good clearance (at least 2-3inches off the ground) n try to wiggle ur wheel. if it moves any than u most likely need to replace UCAs n LBJs possibly OTRs too.
Old 12-04-09, 09:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

jack ur car up in the front till u have good clearance (at least 2-3inches off the ground) n try to wiggle ur wheel. if it moves any than u most likely need to replace UCAs n LBJs possibly OTRs too.
actually that's the way to check for bad wheel bearings....i thought.
Old 12-04-09, 11:05 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

u can do that for the back to and it does check for bad bearings, but wen i went to the stealership for an oil change thats wat they did to check out my UCAs and LBJs. also wen ur going to get an alignment most shops who dont wanna jus steal ur money will do the same thng to check the front. "if there is any play(movement) in the front, don't do it cuz its no point" is wat they told me. at that point in time my driver side LBJ was toasted n i was driving lyk my car was on a gangsta lean LOL.
Old 12-05-09, 03:01 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4demon
If you get a dial indicator, you can measure the play in upper and lower joints.
Old 12-06-09, 11:15 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why buy the ebay crap when it cost the same for oem?

GS Ball Joint Set (Left and Right)
Item: 43340-39415-02 Ships Next Day
$109.80

Outer Tie Rod Set
Item: 45460-59015-02 Available
$104.40
Old 12-08-09, 12:04 AM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

quick question! i ordered Daizen Sway Bar Bushing Set, is it going to improve i dunno like handling, cuz my mechanic told me i should get new ones since its 105.000ml and swaybar bushing never been changed, or i should just add $$$ and get new sway bar like TRD or somethin, but i already ordered
Old 12-08-09, 12:27 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

you're right, however. IIRC, if it moves left to right its the bearing, if it moves up and down then its the ball joint (or visa versa)

Quick Reply: ball joints