Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 12:34 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Are the steering rack kits hard to get now? I ordered one awhile back but never put it in and sold it, need to order one again.
Originally Posted by O1GS43O
i dont know. i just ordered the sway bar bushing kit. ill let you know when i get it.
both these seem to ALWAYS be in stock its just the control arm kits...
Old 07-12-10, 10:04 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

got my sway bar bushings really easy to put it. took all of 20 mins front and rear. helpful tip for the rear ones pull a 6" 3/8 extension half way through the rear bushing to spread it to get it over the rear sway bar.
Old 07-12-10, 12:23 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Roman, thanks for the DIY. I disassembled over the weekend and dropped the arms off at a shop to have em pressed in this morning. I'm hoping to re-install this evening over a couple beers.

Taking stuff apart was easy, now how do I put all these parts/pieces back together??? lol, wish me luck!
Old 07-12-10, 06:56 PM
cjames235
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to say i did this myself over the weekend in 5.5hrs including the alignment..... wasnt too bad at all, everything went smoothly........ so a for DIY!
Old 07-12-10, 07:42 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Where you fellow CL'rs getting these bushings?

I cant find them anywhere!
Old 07-13-10, 06:45 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98gs4hunny

TM engineering they dont always have the control arm bushing in stock and some guys have waited over 2 months after paying. i was lucking and only had to wait 18 days. o and the over charge for shipping. i was charged 12buck and my stuff came in a 5.95 flat rate box.
Old 07-13-10, 07:52 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 98gs4hunny

Try reading some of the posts/threads on ClubLexus. You can even click the search button on the menu, kinda like a "Googler" just for clublexus content to find pertinent info about a specific subject.

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Hey Roman, thanks for the DIY. I disassembled over the weekend and dropped the arms off at a shop to have em pressed in this morning. I'm hoping to re-install this evening over a couple beers.

Taking stuff apart was easy, now how do I put all these parts/pieces back together??? lol, wish me luck!
Anyways.... I did this DIY last night and just got the alignment done this morning, so I figured I'd give ya guys my impressions.

First of all, the un-installation was, as you might expect, not at all impossible. The most mechanic-ky thing i've done so far is cleaned my throttle body and done a brake job. So for me, this project was a real test of my DIY skills. But I have no problem taking things apart

After removing my control arms, I opted to pay a shop to remove/install the actual bushings. It took 3 guys 2 and a half hours to finish. Cost $110. I figured that was more practical than buying a press for ~ $100 and doin it myself. WTF would I do with a press after this job anyway? Plus as others have mentioned, it's an absolute B!#$% to do this anyway, as confirmed by my mechanic, lol.

Now for the reinstallation... I got started last night at 6:30 and wrapped up by 11. Took me a long time due to limited tool selection, and a few wrong turns here and there that I had to backtrack a bit.

For instance, I tightened up both lower control arms to the chassis before putting the two in place together. Had to loosen them up, and then I just used my leg to raise the LCA #1 up enough to get LCA #2 bushing onto the stud successfully, and line up the bolts.

I also installed the struts without putting that really short 17mm bolt on the top of the strut brace going into LCA #1. Had both struts installed before I realized my mistake and had to backtrack again.

Finally, I finished EVERYTHING up, went to take it for a test drive and the ball joint on the drivers side snapped. I was able to jack it up with my low-profile (thank god I bought this) jack. Turns out I hadn't put the cotter pin/nut on one LBJ 100%. At all really... I again used my knee under the LCA to raise the whole hub up enough to put the ball joint stud into the tie-rod end and this time I tightened the nut on the bolt FOR REAL.

I'm not smart enough to actually take pictures of my uninstall process, or label my bolts. So it was like putting together a puzzle; looking at my garage floor with dozens of random size bolts and suspension pieces. Fortunately, things were relatively straightforward going back in though. If the bolt aint right, it wont fit, so I made do and got everything put back together OK with no idea what I was doing

At this point, I was too exhausted from working 5 hours in the heat/humidity and was literally suffering from heat exhaustion: really dizzy, shaking hands, nauseous, ugh. Wish i had climate controlled garage. So I buttoned her up, lowered it back down, and passed out.

This morning I woke up bright and early at 6 to finally take it for a test drive. As soon as I opened the garage, I notice it's low. As in the front sits noticeably lower now. I lost about a finger and a half of ride height up front.

Since I did nothing special during the uninstall to assist future JiBBel in the reinstall (i.e. mark the alignment bolts), I also notice that my wheels are now sitting so far back in the wheel well, they're actually touching the fender liner toward the rear of the car. Additionally, the left wheel was pointed to the left, the right... to the right! Go go duck-foot GS!

So my test drive wasn't pretty thru my neighborhood. Steering felt like a Chevy van. Tires were making weird squishing noises on the asphalt. Stability at 10+ mph was a joke. And my tires are now rubbing like crazy of course. So after all this work, i'm sorely disappointed. But I figure an alignment will set all my woes behind me.

Thankfully, a new firestone just opened this month a mile from my house, so I threw the hazards on and made my way down there at about 15 mph. As if my sore body, limp car, and overall sour experience wasn't enough, on the way there the VSC/ABS lights come on. GGGRRRREEEAAAATTTT i'm thinking. I was so freaking careful with those stupid sensors and I still broke em.

Anyway, guys at Firestone were practically sporting wood over the GS oohing and ahhing. They took their time to get the front end aligned and even double-checked all the bolts were torqued properly for me (i asked since i had done this in almost pitch black while suffering heat exhaustion last night). 20 minutes later, pulled it around to the front and the guy throws the keys to me and goes "now that's tight, you oughtta like that".

After the alignment, car is sitting pretty. I had the 50-65 mph wobble like CRAZY and it's 95% eliminated now. I might do the balljoints/tie-rod ends to get that last 5% of tightness back.

Whatever people have said about "ride harshness" is hogwash. Maybe since I have 20's, I'm used to it riding a bit harder anyway, but the bushings did not affect ride quality AT ALL except for the better.

Looks great lowered even more from the bushings. I trimmed my fender liners and rolled the front mildly a few months ago, so I didn't rub very often. The extra drop now though has me rubbing pretty bad once again, so I may remove the liner altogether and roll the front completely. The rear also looks like it'll need RCA's now to match the drop in the front. Oh, almost forgot, the ABS/VSC lights are off The duck-foot stance was causing the VSC to go crazy, the sensors were fine all along.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just figured some folks appreciate having all the info/reviews in front of them before doing stuff like this. i really didn't notice a huge difference in handling except for the wobble being gone. My setup was TIGHT before, so I didn't notice that effect that others have mentioned. Maybe if you were more stock, this "tighter handling/steering" would be more noticeable. Perhaps I'll add more to this after I really get to open her up and drive it for a while.

Last edited by JiBBeL; 07-13-10 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 10:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cjames235
just wanted to say i did this myself over the weekend in 5.5hrs including the alignment..... wasnt too bad at all, everything went smoothly........ so a for DIY!
james wanna do mine this weekend? seriously...

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Anyways.... I did this DIY last night and just got the alignment done this morning, so I figured I'd give ya guys my impressions.

First of all, the un-installation was, as you might expect, not at all impossible. The most mechanic-ky thing i've done so far is cleaned my throttle body and done a brake job. So for me, this project was a real test of my DIY skills. But I have no problem taking things apart

After removing my control arms, I opted to pay a shop to remove/install the actual bushings. It took 3 guys 2 and a half hours to finish. Cost $110. I figured that was more practical than buying a press for ~ $100 and doin it myself. WTF would I do with a press after this job anyway? Plus as others have mentioned, it's an absolute B!#$% to do this anyway, as confirmed by my mechanic, lol.

Now for the reinstallation... I got started last night at 6:30 and wrapped up by 11. Took me a long time due to limited tool selection, and a few wrong turns here and there that I had to backtrack a bit.

For instance, I tightened up both lower control arms to the chassis before putting the two in place together. Had to loosen them up, and then I just used my leg to raise the LCA #1 up enough to get LCA #2 bushing onto the stud successfully, and line up the bolts.

I also installed the struts without putting that really short 17mm bolt on the top of the strut brace going into LCA #1. Had both struts installed before I realized my mistake and had to backtrack again.

Finally, I finished EVERYTHING up, went to take it for a test drive and the ball joint on the drivers side snapped. I was able to jack it up with my low-profile (thank god I bought this) jack. Turns out I hadn't put the cotter pin/nut on one LBJ 100%. At all really... I again used my knee under the LCA to raise the whole hub up enough to put the ball joint stud into the tie-rod end and this time I tightened the nut on the bolt FOR REAL.

I'm not smart enough to actually take pictures of my uninstall process, or label my bolts. So it was like putting together a puzzle; looking at my garage floor with dozens of random size bolts and suspension pieces. Fortunately, things were relatively straightforward going back in though. If the bolt aint right, it wont fit, so I made do and got everything put back together OK with no idea what I was doing

At this point, I was too exhausted from working 5 hours in the heat/humidity and was literally suffering from heat exhaustion: really dizzy, shaking hands, nauseous, ugh. Wish i had climate controlled garage. So I buttoned her up, lowered it back down, and passed out.

This morning I woke up bright and early at 6 to finally take it for a test drive. As soon as I opened the garage, I notice it's low. As in the front sits noticeably lower now. I lost about a finger and a half of ride height up front.

Since I did nothing special during the uninstall to assist future JiBBel in the reinstall (i.e. mark the alignment bolts), I also notice that my wheels are now sitting so far back in the wheel well, they're actually touching the fender liner toward the rear of the car. Additionally, the left wheel was pointed to the left, the right... to the right! Go go duck-foot GS!

So my test drive wasn't pretty thru my neighborhood. Steering felt like a Chevy van. Tires were making weird squishing noises on the asphalt. Stability at 10+ mph was a joke. And my tires are now rubbing like crazy of course. So after all this work, i'm sorely disappointed. But I figure an alignment will set all my woes behind me.

Thankfully, a new firestone just opened this month a mile from my house, so I threw the hazards on and made my way down there at about 15 mph. As if my sore body, limp car, and overall sour experience wasn't enough, on the way there the VSC/ABS lights come on. GGGRRRREEEAAAATTTT i'm thinking. I was so freaking careful with those stupid sensors and I still broke em.

Anyway, guys at Firestone were practically sporting wood over the GS oohing and ahhing. They took their time to get the front end aligned and even double-checked all the bolts were torqued properly for me (i asked since i had done this in almost pitch black while suffering heat exhaustion last night). 20 minutes later, pulled it around to the front and the guy throws the keys to me and goes "now that's tight, you oughtta like that".

After the alignment, car is sitting pretty. I had the 50-65 mph wobble like CRAZY and it's 95% eliminated now. I might do the balljoints/tie-rod ends to get that last 5% of tightness back.

Whatever people have said about "ride harshness" is hogwash. Maybe since I have 20's, I'm used to it riding a bit harder anyway, but the bushings did not affect ride quality AT ALL except for the better.

Looks great lowered even more from the bushings. I trimmed my fender liners and rolled the front mildly a few months ago, so I didn't rub very often. The extra drop now though has me rubbing pretty bad once again, so I may remove the liner altogether and roll the front completely. The rear also looks like it'll need RCA's now to match the drop in the front. Oh, almost forgot, the ABS/VSC lights are off The duck-foot stance was causing the VSC to go crazy, the sensors were fine all along.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just figured some folks appreciate having all the info/reviews in front of them before doing stuff like this. i really didn't notice a huge difference in handling except for the wobble being gone. My setup was TIGHT before, so I didn't notice that effect that others have mentioned. Maybe if you were more stock, this "tighter handling/steering" would be more noticeable. Perhaps I'll add more to this after I really get to open her up and drive it for a while.
good you go 95% eliminated....other 5% is the expensive percentage though lol
Old 07-13-10, 10:37 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
james wanna do mine this weekend? seriously...

good you go 95% eliminated....other 5% is the expensive percentage though lol
word. for $300 i can think of alot more fun things to do that replace that crap i'll just put up with a lil slop on bad pavement for the time being.
Old 07-13-10, 01:43 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

JiBBel, crazy story. Glad things worked out. Great to hear that.

I just emailed this place http://selvaracinglab.com/lexus_chassis_parts

I searched the hell out of CL for a sure place to buy Daizens, but no place was fast or guaranteed.

Anyone ever hear of that place?
Old 07-13-10, 09:56 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...does anybody's steering feel just a little wobbly still? Like loose? I'm thinking my steering rack bushings need to be changed as well.

Changed the casterbushings, LBJ's, Tie rods.

Last edited by Caoboy; 07-13-10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 10:16 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought all the daizen bushings tm engineering offers
i already had balljoints replaced now i bought the tie rods also
will let you know how it goes after i get them and install maybe i gotta start taking picutres
Old 07-14-10, 10:18 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toy4life86
I just bought all the daizen bushings tm engineering offers
i already had balljoints replaced now i bought the tie rods also
will let you know how it goes after i get them and install maybe i gotta start taking picutres
How was your experience with tm engineering?

Did it take a long time to get them shipped from the day you paid them?
Old 07-14-10, 07:22 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
So...does anybody's steering feel just a little wobbly still? Like loose? I'm thinking my steering rack bushings need to be changed as well.

Changed the casterbushings, LBJ's, Tie rods.
Are the tierod lock nuts tight? That'll make things feel really loose. Can you describe the looseness that you're feeling. Is it over bumps or at speed? Is it a wobble or a shake? Do you think it would be objectionable to most anyone that drove your car or just an enthusiast?
Old 07-15-10, 07:53 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bon
Are the tierod lock nuts tight? That'll make things feel really loose. Can you describe the looseness that you're feeling. Is it over bumps or at speed? Is it a wobble or a shake? Do you think it would be objectionable to most anyone that drove your car or just an enthusiast?
Word, after my install... i had to go back and torque the ball joint and tie rod cotter pin + nuts cuz they were a little loose and boy could you feel it in the suspension while driving

On a sidenote, i just ordered up new lower ball joints and outer tie rods ($207 shipped, thx sewell!) to finish up with the suspension refresh next week. Guess I'll post up final driving impressions after that's done. I had wobble at 55+ before daizen bushings, now it's 65+ better, but not there yet.

Quick Reply: Daizen DIY