Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

hub-rings - are they necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 09:50 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Anybody have any knowledge or actual experience on this topic, related to aftermarket wheel usage?
Wheel studs are not designed to support the loads alone without the axle hub. I would much rather drive with hubcentric wheels missing 2 of the 5 lugnuts than multifit wheels with all its lugs but no support from the axle hub. It is not difficult to properly center a wheel while installing the lugs but there needs to be solid support from the axle hub. "Wheel centering rings" tend to be 1 size fits most & the metallurgy can be suspect. Do you want to ride on
" Made in China"?
Old 12-15-09, 10:39 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Wheel studs are not designed to support any of the vehicle's weight. Hub centric rings function with aftermarket wheels to fit the hub so the weight of the vehicle is properly supported. The rings are "not one size fits all" - they're measured and manufactured to size (to the 1/10th of a millimeter) - that's the entire purpose of the hub rings. They allow you to center the wheel upon installation so the hub properly supports the weight of the vehicle. It's not any different than riding on any run of the mill cast OEM wheels that are "Made in China."

Javier
Old 12-16-09, 09:29 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Wheel studs are not designed to support any of the vehicle's weight. Hub centric rings function with aftermarket wheels to fit the hub so the weight of the vehicle is properly supported. The rings are "not one size fits all" - they're measured and manufactured to size (to the 1/10th of a millimeter) - that's the entire purpose of the hub rings. They allow you to center the wheel upon installation so the hub properly supports the weight of the vehicle. It's not any different than riding on any run of the mill cast OEM wheels that are "Made in China."

Javier
No car manufacturer agrees with what you say because the load is not "properly" supported it has been adapted with a temporary adapter.
.1mm tolerance I doubt it, what happens to the fit when corrosion alters it, & plastic you don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict the future of that.
One of the differences between adapter rings & OEM cast wheels is OEM wheels are DOT tested & approved. There is alot more load than just weight.

Last edited by Byprodrive; 12-16-09 at 09:36 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-16-09, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew this would be an interesting topic, and hopefully with some educational responses too.

Later I will post another thread:

Are you using hub centering rings with your aftermarket wheels? Yes or No
Old 12-16-09, 10:02 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
No car manufacturer agrees with what you say because the load is not "properly" supported it has been adapted with a temporary adapter.
.1mm tolerance I doubt it, what happens to the fit when corrosion alters it, & plastic you don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict the future of that.
One of the differences between adapter rings & OEM cast wheels is OEM wheels are DOT tested & approved. There is alot more load than just weight.
I can vouch for the tolerance because I have a micrometer and measured it myself when I installed them. No one is telling you have to put anything on your car - do what you want. For those people that DO want to run aftermarket wheels, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a hub ring. I dare you to find an occurrence of a hub ring "failing." You're being a bit extremist.

Javier
Old 12-16-09, 10:47 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I dare you to find an occurrence of a hub ring "failing." You're being a bit extremist.

Javier
True. Why not run them is the better question.
Old 12-16-09, 11:00 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

(bolded for emphasis)

wrong and wrong.

1. for certain applications they are accurate down to 1/100 of a millimeter. i personally run 66.1-60.1mm hubcentric rings, but they're listed as 66.06-60.06mm. how's that for tolerance?

2. aluminum hubcentric rings DO exist and ARE available.

http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp
Old 12-16-09, 11:31 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's necessary. Without 'em your steering wheel will vibrate even with perfectly balanced wheels and this causes accelerated wear on your suspension.
Old 12-16-09, 01:23 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

where do i get hub rings and what size do i need?
Old 12-16-09, 02:12 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

the information should be available on your wheels or at the wheel manufacturer website. you can also ask your local wheel/tire shop.

the lexus hub size is 60.1mm (60.06mm to be exact). depending on what hub size the wheels are, it'll be whatever the wheel hubsize is on the outer diameter and the lexus hub size (60.06mm or 60.1mm) on the inside diameter.

see my post above for a link to an online wheel/tire shop that sells hubcentric rings. most tire shops should carry them as well.
Old 12-16-09, 02:26 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
(bolded for emphasis)

wrong and wrong.

1. for certain applications they are accurate down to 1/100 of a millimeter. i personally run 66.1-60.1mm hubcentric rings, but they're listed as 66.06-60.06mm. how's that for tolerance?

2. aluminum hubcentric rings DO exist and ARE available.

http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp
Where in my posts do I talk about a particular application or aluminum rings not existing?
Old 12-16-09, 03:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

your understanding is not my fault, but allow me to explain.

i stated the fact that aluminum hubcentric rings exist and are available for purchase so as to address your concern that plastic hubcentric rings become brittle and altered from corrosion and what not.
Old 12-16-09, 03:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is far better to buy a wheel that is Hubcentric for the vehicle you are installing the wheel on, I won't install a wheel on my car that was not designed for the car
I agree...but that would limit your wheel choices.
Old 12-17-09, 12:41 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
your understanding is not my fault, but allow me to explain.

i stated the fact that aluminum hubcentric rings exist and are available for purchase so as to address your concern that plastic hubcentric rings become brittle and altered from corrosion and what not.
My understanding stems from reading every word in every post of a thread before commenting, perhaps you should try this
Old 12-17-09, 12:47 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I order a set of WORK wheels for my 09 IS, do I need these hub rings? I knew there is more to it buying a set of wheels..

Quick Reply: hub-rings - are they necessary?