Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 11:28 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Not at all. They'll only become a weak link when the rubber gets really old to the point where it easily compresses. When they're new, they feel almost like urethane.
Interesting.
How long does it take for this to happen under normal, occasional track use?
Are these rubber busings replaceable?
Thanks.
Old 01-02-10, 12:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know to be honest. After a year of driving, my TRD bushings felt about the same for the most part. I don't do any track racing, just city driving.

They're all replaceable as long as Toyota has them. I would ask Carson Toyota if they sell any extras just in case.
Old 01-05-10, 01:58 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

TRD doesn't sell bushings... you'll have to go after-aftermarket.
Old 02-25-10, 04:05 AM
gs430vsZ32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
TRD doesn't sell bushings... you'll have to go after-aftermarket.
so, can stock rubber bushing or daizen poly bushing that made for oem sway bars use for trd sways since diameter of the bars are the same.

Last edited by gs430vsZ32; 02-25-10 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 12:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

If the diameter of the bar are the same then it makes sense that it would. Are they really the same diameter? It doesn't make sense that it would be.

EDIT: The front and rear TRD sway are much bigger than oem. I didn't get to measure it though.

Last edited by sam430; 03-01-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-01-10, 04:52 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between the Daizen Sways and TRD sways which ones are stiffer/ improve performance and reduce body roll the most. I have an offer for some used Daizens but im not sure if i should hold out for the TRD's or not or if its that big of a difference between the two.
Old 03-01-10, 06:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The TRDs are stiffer and will reduce body roll more. Had them both, but would only go back to TRD, even though the Daizens have 3 adjustments in the rear.
Old 03-01-10, 06:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
The TRDs are stiffer and will reduce body roll more. Had them both, but would only go back to TRD, even though the Daizens have 3 adjustments in the rear.
Even with the Daizen adjusted to the stiffest setting they are still softer? Is it that noticable of a difference. BTW thanks alot for the help!
Old 03-01-10, 07:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I'm just guessing, the daizens will get as stiffest as the size of bar (diameter). I assume the daizen is using the flexibility of the endpoint/tip where it's being attached to the end-link for variability of stiffness. Nevertheless, the most stiff will be determined by the bars' diameter (assuming same design). Again, I've never seen one, just guessing.

You can probably do variable stiffness on the TRD blue too if you drill some holes on the endpoints of the blue.
Old 03-01-10, 07:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Even with the Daizen adjusted to the stiffest setting they are still softer? Is it that noticable of a difference. BTW thanks alot for the help!
It's been quite a while but I do remember that the TRD rode about the same as the Daizen on full stiffness, but my car had less body roll with the TRD. I didn't like the ride quality with the daizen. It was harsh in a way, while the TRDs were 'firm'. Plus I didn't like the way the rear endlinks had to be flipped around. Both sets will be an upgrade from OEM.
Old 03-02-10, 06:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never had TRD's, but with daizens I had way too much oversteer, even when the rear bar was adjusted to the softest setting. I eventually got rid of the rear daizen and went back with OEM rear and Daizen front. Theres no body roll compared to both Daizens, but I can take high speed curves good 10mph faster compared to both Daizens.

With TRD's being even stiffer and not adjustable, I would be very concerned about the amount of oversteer.

Note that my experience was with no other suspension mods other than sway bars. Perhaps if I had stiffer springs/shocks, and perhaps other mods to stabilize the rear suspension, then maybe I wouldn't have so much negative oversteer with the rear sway bar.
Old 03-02-10, 06:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm just guessing, the daizens will get as stiffest as the size of bar (diameter). I assume the daizen is using the flexibility of the endpoint/tip where it's being attached to the end-link for variability of stiffness. Nevertheless, the most stiff will be determined by the bars' diameter (assuming same design). Again, I've never seen one, just guessing.

You can probably do variable stiffness on the TRD blue too if you drill some holes on the endpoints of the blue.
I don't think you would want to drill it. The sway bars are shaped/drilled/formed and then they go to a process that changes the properties of the metal (forging perhaps?). If you start drilling it, you will compromise its integrity and it will probably easily crack at that point.
Old 03-02-10, 07:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The one other thing that I've noticed with the rear Daizen sway bar. After having it on my car for about 6 months, basically none of the daizne bushing grease came out past the bushing. For instance on the front, the bushings need to be re-greased every 3 months.

I think that the Daizen sway bar is so stiff that it barely allows for any body roll in the rear - thus the insane oversteer. TRD is probably even stiffer.

Also, both of my rear endlinks leaked during the time when I had the Daizen rear bar. It's so stiff that it puts way too much stress on these endlinks.
Old 03-02-10, 02:35 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Then go TRD blue front and daizen rear (might be a good compromise). I would assume the TRD blue front is stiffer than daizen (likely 31mm in diameter).
Old 03-02-10, 03:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Then go TRD blue front and daizen rear (might be a good compromise). I would assume the TRD blue front is stiffer than daizen (likely 31mm in diameter).
Daizen front bar is actually thicker than TRD front bar.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars