Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lost of power during accelaration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 11:56 AM
skyhawk23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost of power during accelaration?

Hello All,

Newbie here, I don't post much but do a lot of reading. I have a problem here recently I don't know what to look for. So I am asking for help. I have the front timing cover gasket replace here not to long ago due to oil leak from the seal behind the timing cover, and the mech told me to go ahead and replace the timing belt , belt tensioner and water pump and all that goes with it, So I did just that, and when the car was put back together, it shrudder and at last it idle up fine but with a check engine light on, But the Check engine light did reset later on. Didn't come back on again. but when push hard on the accelerator, it don't have the power, it shakes, and shrudder. But no check engine light comes on. I spoke to the mech he told me that maybe the spark plug cable needs to be replace? But the car was running fine before the oil leak. So I am kind of confuse that the spark plug cable will go bad just sitting in the drive way. But I went ahead and change a set of spark plug wires from Advance auto. But the problem is still there, and it gets worst when the air comes on. it just don't idle right or run right. But when I take it out to the freeway and gun it a bit it seem to be O.K. but still don't have the peep as before. The car feel like it don't want to go at all. Sitting at traffice it still idel fine but hit the gas it don't have the peep, like the car filter is block or something..in the old days I would have look at the timing, it almost feel like the timing was delay. also the gas mileage is really bad. So I spoke to another mech he told me that the Spark wire could still be bad, the after market wires don't work as good and they will cause problems. So I guess I really don't know what is the real problem. I don't have a scanner for the OBD I, so I can't scan the car for any codes at all. So anyway, if any of you gurus out there can throw some ideas and suggestions, I be glad to try it out and see. Sorry for the long post..thanks in advance for all you guys help.
Old 12-09-09, 02:50 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

1. Oil seeping from behind the timing cover would be due to the cam oil seal; replacing the timing belt, belt tensioner, and water pump would most likely not fix the oil leak unless the actual ring seal was replaced.

2. Replacing those previously said parts would require changing around some components of the head, which means that I believe your timing might now be off. Check the timing with a timing light to see if that is the reason of the loss of power. At the same time, check that your distributor is set at the right position, it may have been thrown off while you changed the belts.

3. Ensure that all vacuum lines are properly attached. What you've described might seem like what a vacuum leak would cause.

4. Spark plugs. Although you haven't removed them for the belt change, studdering and hesitation is a characteristic of either foul spark plugs or plugs that are incompatible. Use specified NGK or OEM Toyota plugs to make sure.
Old 12-09-09, 03:12 PM
skyhawk23
Driver School Candidate

Default O.k.

Hey Suprmsc..thanks for the quick reply..I did get the oil leak fix BTW..but the problems is the shrudder and hesitation..I did check for Vacumn leak..but there seem to not be any. But as for the timing check I have a timing light but how to go about changing the timing, if it was not correct? I know the computer control everything..so I have never change the timing on these type of cars. But the old days..no problems.. If you can shine some light on how to chnage the timing be greatly appreciated..also I have a new set og plugs and plug wires and I am doing a complete tune up again..just to make sure that everything is right. Thanks..
Old 12-09-09, 03:33 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Firstly check the cam gears to make sure they are properly aligned to TDC (top dead center). The proceed to the next steps to see if the timing components are aligned:

1. Check crankshaft pulley to see if the marked groove is at the "0" mark.
2. Check the distributor ignition sequence by loosing the single hex nut and rotating/twisting the distributor. This will change the way your motor responds by adjusting the spark ignition. I do not have a image of it at the moment, but feel free to ask further questions.

The positions of these parts shift a little when adjusting the timing belt or replacing them. You must also remember to always rotate the crankshaft clockwise, or you might damage the bucket shims.
Old 12-09-09, 11:05 PM
skyhawk23
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Hello SuprMSC,

Where should the timing be on this vehicle(1995 SC400)? If the timing is not set right as you have shown then I have to remove everything to redo the timing belt? Or is there a quicker way to reset the timing? once again thanks for your help and responds. If there is some procedure that I can download for this let me know..I be happy to download it and follow the procedure..
Old 12-10-09, 11:21 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Whoops... I didn't realize that you had the 1UZ-FE. I'm not entirely familiar with that motor, but from my general understanding of V8's you will need to ensure that the cam gears are TDC on both heads of the 1UZ.

I would suggest you check with a timing belt before removing anything to make sure timing is the problem however.