Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Finally installed my Tein S-tec's after buying them 2 years ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 11:31 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally installed my Tein S-tec's after buying them 2 years ago

Finally had some time to install the Tein s-tech springs I purchased almost 2 years ago. The ride is touch firmer and the body roll has been reduced a bit as well. I started the install around 10 am this morning and got done around 8pm with the help of a good friend of mine. I ran into some issues with some bolts that would not break loose for the life of me. Temporarily lost a rubber bump stop for one of the rear spring/shock, found after an hour of searching. Used a spring compressor which took forever to compress both sets of springs. By the way, this is not our first time installing springs. I have removed and installed springs and shocks on 3 different mr2's, one integra and assisted my friend with installing springs on his is300. he has installed springs on his MR2, a lexus is300 and his new ride, a m3 e46 coupe. By myself, I can install springs on an mr2 in about 2-3 hours. The integra took about 3-4 hours and the others were about 4 hours. My AFS light is on, so I'll have to do a search on the error and fix in the am. I know new threads without pics = epic fail, but I should have some by tomorrow, it's just too late and wet out there to take some.

For those who installed springs yourselves, how long did it take to install? I see why the dealerships charges 800 for the install.

I understand springs do not settle and it's the bushings that deform which is mistakenly taken as springs settling. Anyone have the steps/instructions on how to reset bushings?

Last edited by fasteddy91; 12-24-09 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Pics now posted
Old 12-22-09, 06:40 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my install took 8 hours lol... god i had an old school spring compressor that i cranked w/ hand tools. such a pain. if i had a nice powered spring compressor that i can just stick the shock tower in and press a button and have it compress the spring, it would've taken half that
Old 12-22-09, 08:43 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xuningshen
my install took 8 hours lol... god i had an old school spring compressor that i cranked w/ hand tools. such a pain. if i had a nice powered spring compressor that i can just stick the shock tower in and press a button and have it compress the spring, it would've taken half that
no joke!

Btw, moving the bolt all the way up on the dogbone looking arm did not make the light go away, I had to turn my dogbone AFS arm 180 degrees to make the light go away.

I also took the car to Wheelworks to get an alignment and while they had it on the alignment rack, they reset my bushings per Kurtz suggestion. I also went in needing to replace my 2 front tires as my toe was out for some reason. The belts were showing on the inside of my front tires. They gave me a heck of a deal, I paid 725 for 4 new tires and an alignment (Bridgestones re760).

Unfortanetly I was not able to take pics today as i had too many things to do, but I'm hoping for tomorrow.
Old 12-31-09, 07:12 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Just a quick update, I have around 200 miles on my new tires and springs. I must say the car handles so much better now. Cornering is a little flatter than before (already has the rear Fsport bar which helped) and the new Bridgestones RE760 sports are so much better than the ER33 Turanzas.
Old 12-31-09, 07:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

To reset the bushings, you need to loosen all the bolts holding the bushings, bounce the car up and down to find neutral, then tighten the bolts to torque specs with weight on the suspension.

Most of us cheat a little though.

If you have the car on four jackstands, you can loosen the bolts on one corner, put your jack under the lower ball joint and jack the car up until it raises off the closest jackstand. Then bounce the car (carefully!) to allow the bushings to rotate into a neutral postion. Tighten the bolts to torque and you're done. Move on to the next corner. Repeat for all four corners.
Old 01-06-10, 10:32 PM
04Caddy
Driver School Candidate

that's a quick install, looks great man.
Old 01-06-10, 10:47 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 04Caddy
that's a quick install, looks great man.
Thanks for the props.

I wouldn't call a 10 hour install between 2 people who have done spring installs 6 times between the 2 of us quick

I could have done the job in 3 hours with proper tools

My friend that helped me with the install said "don't bother calling me when the time comes when you need help with replacing your shocks unless you have airtools and a better spring compressor"

could you blame him, LOL
Old 01-07-10, 07:33 AM
04Caddy
Driver School Candidate

haha sounds like me and my friends.
were dropping my 04 caddy cts in the coming weeks and can only
hope it will take 10 hours..
Old 01-07-10, 05:13 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts