Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

failed my inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 02:20 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed my inspection!

After reviewing my inspection paper i failed for the following reasons:

1. shocks (to low, need to raise them up - coilovers) - $0.00
2. Tires (inner camber wear - friend is letting me use his to get through inspection) - $0.00
3. Front Driver wheel bearing - $45.00
4. Both Front Control Arm Bushings - $60.00
5. Rack and pinion (leaking by the boot - reservoir full) - either rebuild kit $30.00, or a new/used one $100.00

so looks like ill be ordering the bearings and bushings tonight. as for the rack and pinion any ideas? should i rebuild, get a new one or just get a new boot to pass inspection.

Old 12-23-09, 02:56 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an new OEM boot I will sell to you if you need one.
Old 12-23-09, 10:46 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

tru..

well im ordering prothane bushings in a few minutes to fix that problem.. apparently its incredibly dangerous, so i looked it up. and it really is very dangerous. even though there is some sort of bushing in there, iv pretty much been driving around with floating LCA's. the lca keeps your wheel aligned and keeps the wheel on the car. so this is a must fix.. even though im going out with a lady tonight.. i gotta barrow the one of my parents cars.
Old 12-23-09, 12:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Ive been driving for a while on badly worn bushings (passenger side) and its ok till ou get above 60-70, then there is a noticeable shake. the car will actually align right when you take it in, believe it or not, but its when you are actually driving on it it will float around like crazy. if you keep the speed low and drive carefully you should be alright. your tires will wear much faster though.
I have the bushings to drop in , but its just so much work...
Old 12-23-09, 01:03 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i just ordered the bushings. and iv driven the car up to 120 (speed limiter -GTE motor) and not noticed ANY shaking at all. the car still drives perfectly straight and everything. iv only noticed the swaying of the LCAs when i make turns, but its only 30% of the time.
Old 01-02-10, 02:04 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeeze, do they drive your car or something. Thats rediculous. I get the probe in the butt and then im out.
Old 01-02-10, 03:51 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im glad we dont have inspection. not that my car wouldnt pass but you know. actually it probably wouldnt since its slammed on coilovers.

so basically they saidd your car is too low and it failed. that makes no sense. do they know the stock height of the sc and they measure it?

who cares if you car is low. i guess at a certain point if you scrape on the ground then yeah but otherwise its doesnt make sense. kinda silly.

i actually have an extra set of prothane lower control arm bushing with grease just sitting around. i was actually going to sell them but since you already ordered yours then good luck with all
Old 01-03-10, 02:11 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

To the OP, do you have a set list of rules/guidelines in your state that have to be obided by?

Here in Australia there is a list of state and federal design rules that are supposed to be followed and covers everything from wheels (width, diameter and offset changes), ride height, noise/emissions pollution, rollcage installation... the works. JFYI lowest ride height (loaded) is 90mm at the vehicle's lowest point, anything lower (when tested by either the RTA or the fuzz) they can slap a defect notice on the vehicle and if they deem the vehicle unroadworthy they can ground the vehicle if they want.
Old 01-03-10, 05:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan767
After reviewing my inspection paper i failed for the following reasons:

1. shocks (to low, need to raise them up - coilovers) - $0.00
2. Tires (inner camber wear - friend is letting me use his to get through inspection) - $0.00
3. Front Driver wheel bearing - $45.00
4. Both Front Control Arm Bushings - $60.00
5. Rack and pinion (leaking by the boot - reservoir full) - either rebuild kit $30.00, or a new/used one $100.00

so looks like ill be ordering the bearings and bushings tonight. as for the rack and pinion any ideas? should i rebuild, get a new one or just get a new boot to pass inspection.

wow that sucks.

And people complain about California, lol...
Old 01-03-10, 05:12 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

And to think I was complaining that they failed me for windshield wipers and fog lights hahaha. Sucks.
Old 01-04-10, 10:11 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Jeeze, do they drive your car or something. Thats rediculous. I get the probe in the butt and then im out.
yeah, but only up to 20 mph.

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
so basically they saidd your car is too low and it failed. that makes no sense. do they know the stock height of the sc and they measure it?

i actually have an extra set of prothane lower control arm bushing with grease just sitting around. i was actually going to sell them but since you already ordered yours then good luck with all
to be honest i dont really know how they know its to low.. but it is low, but i can still get over speed bumps WITHOUT goin at a angle (most of the time). and thanks, replacing them was a PITA! you have to burn them out!!

Originally Posted by BLK13X
To the OP, do you have a set list of rules/guidelines in your state that have to be obided by?

Here in Australia there is a list of state and federal design rules that are supposed to be followed and covers everything from wheels (width, diameter and offset changes), ride height, noise/emissions pollution, rollcage installation... the works. JFYI lowest ride height (loaded) is 90mm at the vehicle's lowest point, anything lower (when tested by either the RTA or the fuzz) they can slap a defect notice on the vehicle and if they deem the vehicle unroadworthy they can ground the vehicle if they want.
like i said, i dont really know.. it just pisses me off. where in Australia are you? my best friend just came home (US) to visit friends and family since he now lives with his dad over there. my buddy (mate.. haha.. yeahh ill stop) is from teh UNSW area (i know, thats kinda broad hah)

yeah.. it kinda really sucked.

since my last post:

-i replaced the bushings (they REALLLLY needed to be replaced) -$66 shipped
-bought new tires, and got them mounted and balanced - $200.47 - mount/balance - $50
-bought a new wheel bearing for $50 but found out the hub was SOOOO worn that the new bearing couldnt be pressed in.. found a used hub for $60 - shipping $20
-raised my suspension up 1 inch all around (ugh.)
-waiting for a guy on this forum to get back to me on the rack and pinion for $100

soo all together with the $75 dollar inspection i spent $621.47 and some change on fixing my car..

but i also bought a fmic, greddy type s bov, hks turbo timer, wideband, 2 other gauges, hks hi power muffler, parts on relocating the battery to the trunk, silicone couplers, and misc parts.. lol, i should really stop spending my money.

Last edited by bryan767; 01-04-10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 06:04 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By your signature it shows your in MD. I thought MD was a 1 time only safety inspection state when you originally register the car.
Old 01-05-10, 02:56 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i just got the car, so it has to go through the inspection.
Old 01-06-10, 08:21 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in TN if we fail inspection, if we provide a recipt for $300 we dont have to spend any more money trying to make it legal. They just give us a good pass to go! haha.
Old 01-06-10, 08:42 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

well. i decided to bail on the rack and pinion idea. got a call from one of my long lost friends and he said he could do my inspection today or tomorrow if i get my hub in

buttt i am glad i fixed my car, those were pretty serious problems.

Quick Reply: failed my inspection!