Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need just a simple strut/shock/spring answer please

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:06 PM
dfwff618
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need just a simple strut/shock/spring answer please

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a newbie and have read 50 pages of shock and strut/suspension stuff and i'm lost in the sauce. Here is what i have and want to accomplish. I have a '92 sc4 and my front and rear shocks and struts are worn out and i'm sick of clunkin down the road. I have stock 16in wheels and want to upgrade to 17's eventually. I'm not gonna turbo or race my SC and all i want is for my baby to be smooth and tight and ride like a lexus. I'm not rich so I want to do a supra mk4 suspension instead of lexus. Now, what do I need to buy and where do I buy them.

Thanks a mil,
Dustin
Old 12-29-09, 06:45 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Now, what do I need to buy and where do I buy them.

Sewell in Tx, or Carson in Cali.

Either can help with what you need, and both offer Clublexus discounts.

Alan
Old 12-29-09, 08:33 AM
dfwff618
Driver School Candidate

And what exactly do I tell them? Hey I got a SC and I want you to sell me a Mark IV Supra suspension or is the Mark IV TT the better choice for my needs?
Old 12-29-09, 08:35 AM
dfwff618
Driver School Candidate

Ohh and is that sewell lexus and carson lexus i'm assuming? Yeah I know probably a dumb question but hey lol!
Old 12-29-09, 09:17 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#1 rule with the suspension, and I'm sure you read this during your searching..

Supra springs with supra shocks, SC springs with SC Shocks..no mix and match.

Supra TT shock/spring combination will yield a .5'' lower drop on your SC than on a Supra. Ex: if the springs you get advertise a 1'' drop for the supra, it will lower your SC 1.5''.

My suggestions for TT Supra Suspension:

Eibach Pro kit for the springs, and for the shocks use either the Tokico Blue or Illumna(sp?), or KYB AGX shocks. I personally use the KYB AGX with the Eibach's and I love the ride, and the drop.

Oh and dont let anyone tell you if you use the MK4 suspension, you need the top hats...cause you dont.
Old 12-29-09, 09:56 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tien cs ftw but if u do the mkiv tt setup is just going to lower the car for 1 inch i have ridden on all type of shock and spring combo TAKE MY ADVISE THIER ALL CRAP. when u buy a car from the factory they use cheap pa rts to cut the cost of overhead u dont have to race the car. but the get coilovers they stop all the body roll and understeer also thier height adjustable and dampener adjustable for what ur going to spen on some new stuff u can get the aftermaket which is better and ur in tx so i am sure some members in the texas section will help u out

Last edited by t70 supra; 12-29-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 12:11 PM
dfwff618
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the responses... The coilovers give me something to think about too but probably out of my budget right now. Ive also seen that aftermarket "lexus" shocks and strut mounts don't seem to be that expensive either. From what I read it looked like they were more expensive, what do yall thing about the Tokico HP front and rear shocks with just new strut mounts?
Old 12-29-09, 04:08 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some 1 told me this "do it right the first time" took me 3 times to get it right i went from blistien shocks and rsr springs to tockio blues and tanabe nf210, to tien ha's to zeal coilovers

blistiens and rsr ti*2000 were good but hard to find now days still had roll and undsteer
t
tokicos and tanabe feels like stock but still didnt lower and the car sat funny still had tons body roll and understeer

tien ha's awsome ride but their partially threaded and going tracking this year so i sold them for 550.00 with the pillow and ball mounts had no body roll or understeer i loved corners in this car went through them with ease

zeals ??? have to wait and see
----------------------------------------------------------------------

bottom line is that if u going to spend just getting shocks u mine as well get springs and thats another 200.00+ added to that for a toal about 550.00 for that price u can get some coils here theirs some in the for sale section right now for about 750.00+ please man dont be like my dad and think lowing the car is going to help the cars balence IT DOENST it just as a ok look. U HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY i suggest talking to other memeber on here about their shock and spring setups and see how many of them switch to coils i am 1. and right now ebay has 10% of any purches with buy it now
Old 09-26-10, 08:49 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
#1 rule with the suspension, and I'm sure you read this during your searching..

Supra springs with supra shocks, SC springs with SC Shocks..no mix and match.

Supra TT shock/spring combination will yield a .5'' lower drop on your SC than on a Supra. Ex: if the springs you get advertise a 1'' drop for the supra, it will lower your SC 1.5''.

My suggestions for TT Supra Suspension:

Eibach Pro kit for the springs, and for the shocks use either the Tokico Blue or Illumna(sp?), or KYB AGX shocks. I personally use the KYB AGX with the Eibach's and I love the ride, and the drop.

Oh and dont let anyone tell you if you use the MK4 suspension, you need the top hats...cause you dont.
how does ride quality(comfort) compare stock supra tt vs sc400 stock?
Old 09-29-10, 09:02 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
how does ride quality(comfort) compare stock supra tt vs sc400 stock?
anyone have any experience
Old 09-30-10, 10:55 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Since youre going to be doing 17" wheels, why not get 4 tokico hp blue shocks for your sc400 and call it a day? It will be close to stock and less doe to spend.