Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help me decide which Coilovers I should use

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 06:12 PM
Nemesys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help me decide which Coilovers I should use

Hi, I currently have a 1995 Lexus SC 400. I am torn as to which coilovers I should use. I've read several articles with reviews and I still cannot decide. So far these are the four I have in mind:

1. Tein
2. KSport
3. BC
4. HKS

Please Help! Your input will be greatly appreciated...Thanks!!
Old 01-06-10, 06:31 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

none of those...

need more details from you about your car, what you are going to use it for, how low do you want to go, etc.

go back one page and look down. there are a few threads discussing coilovers. doing a search doesnt hurt either
Old 01-06-10, 07:35 PM
Nemesys
Driver School Candidate

Ok Thanks!!
Old 01-07-10, 09:13 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

i love my Cusco Zero2E
Old 01-07-10, 09:14 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
none of those...

need more details from you about your car, what you are going to use it for, how low do you want to go, etc.

go back one page and look down. there are a few threads discussing coilovers. doing a search doesnt hurt either
Just curious, are those not good brands he listed?
Old 01-07-10, 10:51 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to thread jack but this is also a concern of mine. i will be daily driving the car and would occasionally see some drifting. any of the above brands better then the other for drifting?
Old 01-07-10, 05:56 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just depends which model and spring rate u choose for the car. i have tiens and love them they handle awsome but i am moving on to somthing more stiffer since i am using my black sc to track and auto x now i needed somthing that can handle better. but most of then tien are partially threaded. the hks a few are fully threaded and the rest are partial. the other 2 idk u willl have to look for yourself. but thier more than those brands avaliable for the sc u also can use supra coilovers.

i would look into zeals, stances some tiens like the SS and Ha's as far as hks hypermax II and III's and also powerd by max coils if u can find them. JZZ30, JZZ31 UZZ30 and JZA80 coils u can all use.

Last edited by t70 supra; 01-11-10 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-10-10, 01:23 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Personally I love my Stance GR+ pro's, but they arent for the light pocketed. Theyre rather expensive, but the ride is to die for. Its not TOO bouncy. I love them. I would consider them if I was you.
Old 01-10-10, 07:07 PM
sillyboi12
Banned from selling! Respond to your PMs

i love my jic magic!
Old 01-10-10, 08:07 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my JIC's as well!
Old 01-10-10, 09:27 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

I love my Tein CS for the EDFC, I have a occasional fun drive setting and a girlfriend setting, works awesome with the girls and those stressful days where you just want to relax and have a enjoyable ride.

If you want an overall good coil go for stance, pretty cheap at around 1000$ a pop, and I've heard of nothing but good reviews of them! HKS and other Jap brands are good but a bit aggressive in my experience with my previous 240sx. Also, if your suspensions are blown, Tein can easily be repaired by places around US for a good price, if you buy those Jap brands, you're pretty much out of luck on repair, might as well buy new ones.
Old 01-11-10, 07:45 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

of the 4 choices, i'd pass on #2 and #3.
Old 01-12-10, 05:51 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

Default footwork...

i run tein RA's with a stiffer spring setup and love them, i have a set of ohlins from a soarer that i came across , if your intrested
Old 01-15-10, 06:00 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Off all of those I have experience with Tein, and I will say that they are garbage. I seem to be in the minority on this forum with that opinion. I have broken two sets of almost new Teins in the past and their customer service is AWFUL. I have many friends who have had similar experiences with Tein. A local shop here refuses to carry Tein because they have had so many negative experiences with them!

I would also avoid Ksport coilovers.

I personally run JIC FLTA-2 and I absolutely love them. When I do replace them I will most likely go with KW!
Old 01-15-10, 06:24 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i tossed out my Teins cuz they were crap when on the track. They just didn't work well with the rest of my suspension. In the end, I went with Top Secret. The valving on the Aragosta dampers are so good, I wished I had gone with a stiffer spring rate. Unlike the Teins, each **** adjustment actually had a real noticeable change in dampening characteristic.

FYI- my spring rates are 16kg fr and 12kg rr. I dd my car and track it, on 3/2 setting from full soft, it's comparable in ride to a stock RSX.

For the price: Stances are really good. I'd avoid Teins. K-Sport; I personally have not heard much about them. HKS; depending on which model you get, would work well. BC; I have personally been in a SC with a spring rate of 20kg fr and 16kg rr, the ride is actually pretty tolerable, that is if you're still on stock bushings, once you toss those out for polyurethane or something stiffer, along with if you plan on low pro tires and rims in the future, the ride can get pretty rough.

Last edited by LexAnt; 01-15-10 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which Coilovers I should use