Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question! (suspension mods)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10 | 07:55 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Default Question! (suspension mods)

Is there any other performance mods except springs and sway bars that can enchance the ride handling quality of the car? The car handles great with sway bars but did not install the f-sport springs yet. Would I notice a difference in handling after the springs are installed. Is there such thing as a front strut bar for the is350? Thanks guys for the help!
Old 01-06-10 | 08:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
Is there any other performance mods except springs and sway bars that can enchance the ride handling quality of the car? The car handles great with sway bars but did not install the f-sport springs yet. Would I notice a difference in handling after the springs are installed. Is there such thing as a front strut bar for the is350? Thanks guys for the help!
Couple folks do make front strut bars but, especially given the 2IS doesn't even have struts, it's entirely for show.

Best mods you can make (assuming otherwise stock) to handling IMHO on the 2IS-

F-sport swaybars and better tires. Everything else will be way behind these two.

I'm not a fan of progressive springs for handling, I think they're a compromise that aren't great at either thing they try to accomplish. Hence I'm happy with the OEM sport package springs... (and Lobuxracer had suggested in the past they're pretty near optimal height for the vehicle roll center)

If you simply must go lower and want handling, coilovers that use nice linear springs would be my suggestion. Probably gonna want to log some decent track time to discover the "best" settings for em though.

Going too low (with springs or coilovers) can sometimes feel better without actually getting the car around corners faster (or in fact getting it around corners slower)
Old 01-06-10 | 11:33 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I have the rear sway bar, coilovers, and wider tires (Toyo T1r's which are better than the stock ones) and there is definitely a difference.
I dont care if the car does the same time around the track as stock, but it gives me alot more security especially at higher speeds. I always thought the IS had some kind of floating feel when stock, and the ride height was too high, not to mention some understeer

Last edited by juice14; 01-06-10 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-07-10 | 06:46 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Strut bars are actually strut TOWER bars, which the IS most certainly has. The idea is to decrease flex in the chassis. Personally I dont think newer cars really need strut bars because the chassis are much more rigid then they used to be.

I'd do a really nice set of coilovers such as KW V3's and a good set of tires if you want to actually improve handling. The F sport springs are garbage and I doubt you will be happy with them
Old 01-07-10 | 08:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
Strut bars are actually strut TOWER bars, which the IS most certainly has. The idea is to decrease flex in the chassis. Personally I dont think newer cars really need strut bars because the chassis are much more rigid then they used to be.
generally the only time a strut bar will do anything useful is if the car actually has struts.

Wiki describes it thus:
With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately.

Our cars don't use a MacPherson strut suspension.

Why it helps with those is explained well here:

http://team99ers.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=702

The 2IS doesn't use struts, so you're basically just adding a random metal bar adding extra weight in your engine bay with a strut bar.