Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just Replaced Brakes and Rotors...Might need to change again..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 02:04 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Replaced Brakes and Rotors...Might need to change again..

So i just had my brakes and rotors changed probably about 2 to 3 months ago at the most. The last week and a half i have been starting to hear that annoying sound you get when you brake , i could also feel some kind of rubbing sound coming from the car as i make a complete stock. This is exactly what i was feeling before i got my brakes changed, ( waited till the last minute ).

Could it be possible for me to need new brakes already?
Maybe lexus can have them replaced or im not sure..

what do you guys think

by the way, i bought the parts from Lexus of West Minister, but had them installed on a local auto shop near my house.. dont know if lexus would replace them then
Old 01-08-10, 02:55 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I would bring it back to the mechanic to check. Doesn't sound right for the brakes to wear out after that short amount of time.
Old 01-15-10, 02:16 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I would bring it back to the mechanic to check. Doesn't sound right for the brakes to wear out after that short amount of time.
Well i took it to my mechanic.
He said i have to change them in a couple thousand miles..
He asked me if i "raced"
i said here and there
and he told me i probably do a lot of panic stops..
He also stated that brakes for our cars run out quick because of the pads or something..

Am i the only one who used up their brakes almost within 3 months...

He took my car for a drive and told me he didnt hear anything wrong

but it just got even worse now, and the brakes whine even more, also i can feel the little grinding
Old 01-15-10, 02:17 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

im guessing lexus wouldn't help in this situation...
Old 01-15-10, 05:55 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

oem is350 pads should last for ~20k miles, give or take a thousand depending on driving habits. unless you were doing that much aggressive driving in the last 2-3 months, you definitely have an issue with your brakes.

the only way your pads wore that thin that quickly is from the pads riding on the discs. there are a few possibilities, one of which is the brake caliper slide pin seizing, causing the caliper to squeeze the brake pads against the discs - even when the brakes aren't engaged.

however, regardless of whether the issue is the caliper slide pins or not, have the calipers checked out first.
Old 01-15-10, 11:42 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

My brakes makes squealing/squeaking sounds sometimes when I brake. I haven't done the TSB for it, but maybe I will when I hit 20k, currently 15k on the car.

If you hear/feel a rubbing, it could be from your wheels rubbing against fender lining because as you stop the weight shifts forward. I'm not sure if your lowered or not, but its just an idea.

I've also heard that people who have had the TSB brakes pads done still get the same squeaking/squealing sound but less dust.

Lexus will look at it, but they won't do much. Maybe "recommend" cutting the rotors. lol, they need to make money too.
Old 01-15-10, 11:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

350 doesn't have slide pins. The calipers are fixed.

Do you drive with one foot on the brake and one on the gas?
Old 01-16-10, 12:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
350 doesn't have slide pins. The calipers are fixed.
oh?

i think i need to go back to my service paperwork to find out what exactly that was seizing on the calipers, because i had a similar problem as the OP did - though my pads weren't that new when the issue came up.
Old 01-16-10, 01:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Correct myself: The rears have pins. The fronts are fixed.
Old 01-16-10, 09:40 AM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My IS350 front brakes were squeaking as well. It's still under warranty so I bought the car into the shop... they said Pads are fine, rotors are fine.

They just lubed it up and gave it back to me. Funny enough as the service guy is pulling up to give me my car back when he hits the brakes a God awful squeak echos out in the service garage for his entire stop.

I have them take the car back and I inform them of the front brake TSIB (not the pad dust), for the noisy calipers.

They did this TSIB work, took the front off, lubed them, replaced fit kit and shim kit... it's a good as new.

I also had my front seat squeak TSIB taken care of as well. Again, I got my car back and they said the squeak was from "dirty seats" and I need to condition them more. No no no, I said... it's definitely the track or lower cushion. Again, I inform them of the TSIB. They perform it, and it's all cleared up now.

Sorry for getting off topic with the seat, but sounds like you might need the first TSIB I mentioned. What year is the car again?
Old 01-16-10, 11:41 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

06 is350
and i did the math
not even 3-4 thousand miles with my new brakes and rotors

and no i dont drive with one foot on the gas and one on the brake

ive been driving the car the same way i always drive it, i bought the car used and the brakes lasted pretty long, longer than the new ones i just installed from the sound of it
Old 01-16-10, 11:44 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

so basically my best bet would be to take it to lexus and have them check out whats wrong
Old 01-16-10, 11:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I traded in my 350 with almost 60k miles on the rotors and 40k miles on the TSIB pads. They were still in fine shape and projected to last to 100k miles from the wear rate I measured.

There is something seriously wrong with your set up if you've killed a set of pads in 3 - 4k miles.

Maybe Lexus, maybe a really good independent, but definitely not the guys who did the work the last time.
Old 01-16-10, 12:12 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
so basically my best bet would be to take it to lexus and have them check out whats wrong
who did your brake job when you replaced everything? I'd take it to them
Old 01-21-10, 09:40 PM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don think lexus is going to help you out as far as replacing them. its part or wear and tear or the car another example of that would be tires. and since you didnt get it done at a certified lexus dealer it will be easier for them to come up with reasons not tto fix ur car. im thinking the technician asked if u raced because the "panic stops" he montioned can cause you to glaze the rotor or even warp it but i doubt it should be warped if its only 3 months old., im jus sayin because i had this almost similar problem. i went to change my brakes because i heard the annoying high pitched squeaks which made me think i needed brakes, b4 i did a visual check. and i do my brakes myself using all Genuine OE prts. (pads , shims , bolts) and it turns out i didnt even need brakes done.i just needed to re-surface my rotor. i dont know if you had this done yet? but lets say you do need ur rotors cut you will definately want to throw new fresh pads on them even tho ur other ones r only 3 moths old. thas wat i did. and if none of what i said applied to u...mybad hahahahah

Last edited by JDMis350; 01-21-10 at 09:42 PM. Reason: i realized he said he got new rotors ..sorry

Quick Reply: Just Replaced Brakes and Rotors...Might need to change again..